86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1987 4Runner Cyber Dude

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 04:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Definitely post some pics I it when you can.

I say soak the heck out of that bolt for a few days and then try. Seafoam deep creep works really well also.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Post some picks of the 80. Like seeing the first gen trucks. One of them is on my list someday. I had a long bed and just like the short beds so much better.

Sure will post some pics, but I have yet to see it myself since it was a sight unseen deal for $250/$300. I tried calling the guy this past week to see if I can check it out and see how I'm going to tow it home, but he never answered my call. I hope he's sincere about having the truck as his talk was describing a fair condition truck, but hey if you are selling something everyone becomes a used car salesman.

Originally Posted by Gizler00
Definitely post some pics I it when you can.

I say soak the heck out of that bolt for a few days and then try. Seafoam deep creep works really well also.
Hey gizler, I had some deep creep and set it aside to take with me to use. I ended up forgetting it when I head out on my 125mile drive. I stopped at Wallyworld to see how if I can grab something there, but decided on not wasting the $ as I had 3 cans of deep creep at home. I ended up using a 25" 1/2" breaker bar and worked the bolt. Took about 15min of tightening and then loosening (1/8" to 1/4" back and forth) before it finally cracked loose and i mean the actual sound crack. Even then I could not use the ratchet to continue loosening I had to continue turning with the breaker bar. Once I got it out I saw it was also caked with sludge. there were 2 bolts like that, but I finally got them off and the head. I grabbed the bobcat and lifted and loaded into the trunk of the car which was a close fit without the head. got it home and now it awaits a rebuild. this week I'm going to bring home the other engine pretty much the same way. Just so you'll know, the engine I brought home is from a 89 truck EFI 22re and the other waiting to get home is from a 86 truck carb 22r. Won't be using the carb so that will be coming off and put away if it's still good.

Also, this engine as much as I assume they dug it into the ground, the head looks fair, but lacquered. So I'm looking at a good dip to clean it up and i may request a magnaflux just in case if its worth it as it should be around $40+/- for that. Even though it's a dirty engine, I can assume someone rebuilt it at some point some internal parts look to be new.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:13 AM

Haven't been able to do anything lately. I'm going to try this week to get a little done.

Last week was a little bit of a drama. On the way home coming off the expressway, the light turned red at the bottom of the ramp which is one of those fork type intersections. Stay to the left you turn left, veer to the right and you head into the right turning lane. I stopped when the light just turned red, but the guy in back of me coming off wasn't paying attention about 5 secs after I stopped he creamed into to me. Shoved me right in the intersection. Lucky me the light just turned red and the other cars saw what happened. It did knock the wind out of me and I just sat in the car and called 911. So happens the guy said all that happened was my bumper came off and he would pay for it. Incidentally he didn't speak a word of English just Spanish. I just looked at him and said no, so we waited for the police. I had to get a police report, had no choice it's a company car and i'm sure they will want it fixed and up to par. Good thing I did get a police report, when I went to fill up I had some trouble opening up the gas door. Even though it doesn't look like it the Uniboday maybe bent a little.

As far as the old pickup truck, the guy keeps giving me the run around so he may or may not have it. The guy with the Sunrader called me about scheduling a time to go and see the sunrader and determine how I'm going to tow it down to Miami. nice guy...
Old 10-28-2014, 06:46 PM

When it Rains it pours

Okay today I finally got something done. Since I brought home 2 motors to someday work on i am limited on space, I'll tell you what happened to day with that.

Okay Some of you guys know that sometime early this year I had some trouble with the truck and it left me stranded 125 miles out so I had to hitch a ride home and leave the truck till I could get it towed home. that ended up cost about $600 to get it home. I took the engine out and put the original block that was in it to keep it going and it runs fine, but burns a little oil not much, but it just one of those things that bothers me. I never got around to actually tearing down the engine to see exactly what was fubar, but i did know that one of the connecting rod bolts had backed out. Now those who know me know that I am a freak when it comes to tightening nuts and bolts. I tighten in increments of 10lbs then give each one a last check to make sure the final is torqued to specs. Well that didn't help out. Anyhow today I was in the garage working it dismantling it and checking everything out making sure nothing was out of wack only because of what i found out after disassembling it all. here's what i found and the definition of FUBAR fits here:

Name:  BentRod_zps1ef0905d.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  82.1 KB

Need i say the one on the right is the one FUBARed. The one on the left is the replacement. I talk to a few people at some machine shops around here and most say the best thing to upgrade to are ARP's for those. i checked it out and a lot of people on line suggest the same. I'll still use the same OEM bolts, but can't imagine that happening again.

Bringing that up, those engines i mentioned earlier I rolled them out my garage to give me room to work around inside the garage. Luck me i got a warning citation from the county because you can not do mechanic work on private property in a residential zone. even though nothing was being done they issued me a warning. How lucky can i get, I even rolled those engines back into the garage as they wrote the warning, yet they said i have 3 days to cure. Whats up with that, engine gone yet they still persist on giving me the warning.

So it looks like I have to come up with another option with those storage of those engines. my best bet is inside the truck for now until can get to rebuilding them.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
If tell them you buy and sell parts, no work being done. What an f'd up ordinance you have.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by junk4u
....i got a warning citation from the county because you can not do mechanic work on private property in a residential zone....

A nice way to protect the revenue stream for the shops, I guess.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:36 PM

Received 307 Likes on 211 Posts
Shoot. That would be grounds for me to gtfo!
Old 10-30-2014, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by kelvinb
If tell them you buy and sell parts, no work being done. What an f'd up ordinance you have.
That would be fine, but as we all know Dade County Florida is a Country of it's own. I kind of understand the codes, but sometimes it is extreme. If I tell them I buy and sell parts they will tell me that my house is not zoned for commercial business and give me another citation, it was better to keep my mouth shut and keep going. I knew it would happen one day as i have to work with the State Statute and some of the Municipal Ordinances routinely. It sucks how our rights have been taken from us...

Last edited by junk4u; 10-30-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by rworegon

A nice way to protect the revenue stream for the shops, I guess.
You ain't kidding, Dade County's Team Metro that is basically code enforcement in Dade County is close to the largest money maker for the County.

Last edited by junk4u; 10-30-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by rattlewagon
Shoot. That would be grounds for me to gtfo!
Yeah, that would be a reason too, but it's usually a quiet place and no one bothers anyone and I know all the neighbors and we all pretty much are the Do it yourselfers. Just once in a while these guys who need to score a point working for the County go out and hit everyone for something.

EX: One of my neighbors got hit because his fence was 1 1/2" above the 6ft height. I saw the guy get out of his car with a measuring tape and measure it. They gave him 14days to bring it to code.

My other neighbor painting his house was told to stop painting his house until he could prove he was the home owner. Which he did, if you hire a painter off the street you need a permit, but if you paint it yourself a permit isn't required.

Last edited by junk4u; 10-30-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:15 AM

Since I haven't been able to do anything with the restrictions at hand, what ever time I have has been pushing things around the garage to make room to do some work. Pull the old engine hoist out and found that the 8ton jack on it sprang a internal leak. Nothing leaking outside, but as you pump you can hear what sounds like squirting. Ended up calling the manufacture in CA, and they just located a repair seal kit for it. I have to call them to pay them today and basically they tell me it will cost $5 for the kit. Well lets see if that pans out good.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Zoning laws suck. I understand why they do it to keep some from getting to many cars around the yard. I have passed on some great deals on trucks for that reason. But the monitors do go a little overboard on some things.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Zoning laws suck. I understand why they do it to keep some from getting to many cars around the yard. I have passed on some great deals on trucks for that reason. But the monitors do go a little overboard on some things.
You aren't kidding about that. I haven't been able to do much, but recently started putting around with little stuff that won't get me into to much trouble.

I primed and painted 2 of the interior panels to see how they would come out and here's what they look like.

Name:  PaintedPanels0_zps5d9b6a44.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  651.1 KB
The One on the top is before Priming it with rustoleum primer (plastic). The one on the bottom was primed and it looks good as new. I thought it would look pretty bad with streak marks of paint, but it seems rustoleum has done some great work in their product these days.

Here's a picture of the panel painted with a dark grey.

Name:  PaintedPanels_zps66004c5c.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  603.8 KB

The one on the top is primed just to give you a chance to see the difference. The one on the bottom was painted with a Dark Grey Paint by rustoleum. Looks great, but it still wet when I took that picture. Today i will take another picture of both them in final paint color and dry using a better camera.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:12 AM

Did a quick photo of the dried panels and here's what they look like finished.

Name:  PaintedPanels2_zps46ba664b.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  534.8 KB

Upper right panel looks like it has spots, not so. ran out and looked I guess its snow flakes on the old lens.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by junk4u
Did a quick photo of the dried panels and here's what they look like finished.

Upper right panel looks like it has spots, not so. ran out and looked I guess its snow flakes on the old lens.
Looks great!I also heard they'll ticket you if your dog craps on the sidewalk and you don't pick it up!
Old 12-10-2014, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
Looks great!I also heard they'll ticket you if your dog craps on the sidewalk and you don't pick it up!

Thanks Kornhuskerwizard, didn't think they would turn out so good.

These laws are sometime made up for the good of the community, but at time I think they go way beyond our given rights. We no longer live in a state of freedom of choice, take Obama care we don't have the right to chose if we want to pay out of pocket or have an insurance. In any case with these insurances today we end up paying out of pocket anyhow. It's useless to debate if only a handful people are with you.

Back on target. Weather is cold so my thought about working on the front fender I picked up the other day to prep and paint are out the door. I think today I'll work on the dash lights if the county doesn't object to that.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:06 AM

Received 208 Likes on 146 Posts
Those panels look fantastic. That's definitely on my to-do list. I can't believe how good they look.

What exactly is the color called? And is it just rustoleum plastic paint from HomeDepot?
Old 12-10-2014, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by coryc85
Those panels look fantastic. That's definitely on my to-do list. I can't believe how good they look.

What exactly is the color called? And is it just rustoleum plastic paint from HomeDepot?

Hey Cory,

They came out pretty good I say so myself. Yeah it was just rustoleum, I looked around and read a few places online what people used, but I didn't want to get all too technical with it. I did my research talked to rustoleum as I had good correspondence with them in the past with bad cans of paints and they sent me a check for the bad cans so they are on top of their products. I took that check and deposited it and purchased a can of rustoleum primer and rustoleum paint the one that states it bonds to plastic as well. Just the priming made it look better and the paint it self made it just glossy enough to look brand new. I was looking around for a close match on the color and none got close enough so I opted for the Dark Grey which is what you see.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Awesome job on the side panels! They turned out great! Seeing how well yours turned out means there might still be hope for mine, lol!
Old 12-10-2014, 10:20 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Panels look great!! I always love when they come out looking minty fresh!

Quick Reply: 1987 4Runner Cyber Dude