86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1987 4Runner Cyber Dude

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 10:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Update

Okay not much of an update been busy with other things such as making $...Hahaha

Well, I finally ordered the Butyl tape today for the topper. I ordered enough to do 2 tops front sliding glass and rear fix glass. It should be interesting once the topper is put together. The only problem once I finish the one you see me doing now (which belongs to my 864Runner) I have to start on the one for the 87 4Runner. I just can't wait to finish the one.

Today i was lucky to see a 22r engine in the scrap yard. The engine is from a 90's truck, but weird is the distributor looks like one for a 22re not a 22r. I can't touch it yet until I talk to the owner. He usually gives me the okay to take what I want before they crush it, but I just want to be sure. I plan on taking the engine out complete since I don't have a engine hoist, i guess I'd have to use the old chain and bobcat. I might take the transmission just for parts.

Nothing else on the truck can be used on my truck so I only would take what i can use. I'll snap a picture of the motor and post it up later this evening or tomorrow morning depending when i get home tonight.

Last edited by junk4u; 06-05-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:29 AM

Sorry about the delay, but I have been busy and forgot to snap photos of the truck they are going to crush. I got the okay to take what i want out of the truck including the 22r motor less the carb and A/C compressor which isn't there. I'll probably end up take the rear axle, door window gasket, vent window and hardware and what ever else I think might fit into my 4runner.

TERRY - this truck has those side windows like your white pickup only the drivers side though this truck looks to be a newer model could be a 89 on up. If you want the one left I can get it for you and you just pay the cost of shipping it to you. I read some where that you were looking pieces of one. just let me know. I'll get a better Idea of what is there once I start the tear down this coming friday and saturday. Just let me know if you are interested.

here's a picture of the truck as it sits:
Name:  toyotapickup_zps94930407.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  59.3 KB
Name:  toyotapickup1_zps9a780d67.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  33.6 KB

Last edited by junk4u; 06-11-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:51 AM

On the drive up to Okeechobee Monday US27 was shut down and I had to take a detour which ended up to be about a 40mile detour. It seems lighting struck out in the everglades and started a fire which shut down the roads in the area. I had to use the same route to return back to Miami. Heck of a detour.

The next day tuesday I was able to use US27 to drive back up and saw the plume of smoke rising. Pretty cool looking cloud I must say when you don't know whats going on.

Name:  27fire1_zpsb0b7201f.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  39.2 KB

As I drove by you can see some of the flames but not much at the angle I was looking when i took this shot.
Name:  27fire2_zps6c88bec3.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  32.3 KB

I know people living in the area Broward Through West Palm Beach got a blast of that ash from that fire.

Last edited by junk4u; 06-11-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:10 AM

Sunrader

On another note, I purchased a stripped out Sunrader which aren't very easy to get in my part of the world. Prices of these thing are sky rocketing for a old apartment on wheels. I'm rather found of the sunrader since I have been reading about them. I like what people have done with them and find them pretty versatile considering they are fiberglass design. The one i got is a 21' sunrader, I was really looking for a 18' sunrader. The only one I found that was they said was 17' was a Nissan sunrader, which I read good things about as well.

This sunrader is pretty much stripped of everything in the cab including the engine and tranny. It really doesn't matter to me as i would like to convert it to a 4x4 so I will be looking out for a semi-decent pickup truck to move the sunrader shell over too. The interior since it's probably gone to birds at this point will be remodeled.

I don't even have this yet, i just finished talking the guy yesterday. It's about 150miles away from me, so i haven't even figured out how to bring it home. I talked to the guy a bunch, but at one point the call dropped because of where I was driving from and didn't get back a signal for about 30 to 45 minutes. In that time he called me back and left me a voice message and told me if I still wanted it I can have the whole thing including the misc parts for $200. i called him back the next day and told him I still have more questions, but will be taking the sunrader. Deal done I have between now and when ever to pick it up. he was a nice guy to talk with and it turns out he's an old gentlemen around 69 yrs old who's cleaning up.

Even though the sunrader is stripped and trashed, the shell is worth more than that, I've seen adds for ones totally fixed up selling between 10 and 16 thousand a little absurd if you ask me, but one mans garbage is another mans gold.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:41 AM

Topper Butyl Tape Arrived

Okay look what showed up on the door today via FedEx.
Name:  butyl3_zpsa560df8c.jpg
Size:  62.9 KB
Name:  butyl4_zps6ae6282b.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  41.2 KB
This would be for the sliding glass window on the topper it's a solid butyl tape, I have enough to do both toppers the one for the 86 and the 87 topper, lets hope I don't mess up.

Name:  butyl1_zpsba9a6b05.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  64.4 KB
Name:  butyl2_zpsa16ea06c.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  44.1 KB
This is for the fixed glass on the topper. Its butyl tape with a foam core. very light. Should work just fine.

My time is limited now because of my travels, but now everything is coming together in pieces which kind of makes me happy. Can't wait to finish the first topper and start on the next one.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm. im watching. i'd like to find a set of those windows for my runner. can't find an a/c so those would do for now. haha
Old 06-11-2014, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Yota
hmm. im watching. i'd like to find a set of those windows for my runner. can't find an a/c so those would do for now. haha

hello Yota, What are you watching and which windows are you talking about for your 4Runner.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just meant this thread has caught my interest and putting vent windows on my 86 runner would be sweet.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Yota
just meant this thread has caught my interest and putting vent windows on my 86 runner would be sweet.
Vent windows are sweet. I can't see living without them. It's the best thing when cruising on the highway you open the vent window and not the regular window air blows prefect not in your ears. I don't think i could live without it.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:44 PM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Originally Posted by junk4u
Vent windows are sweet. I can't see living without them. It's the best thing when cruising on the highway you open the vent window and not the regular window air blows prefect not in your ears. I don't think i could live without it.
Yep! Great to have.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks junk4u... That is the next generation and am sure it wouldnt work. To bad they are going to crush that one. I have been on the hunt for an extended cab and frame of that generation. Misty regrets selling her 91 and wants another one. I tried to tell her she had a tough one to find and now she knows. She wants one, she is going to build it herself and I will help her on it. She will have a greater appreciation for what she built.

She is wanting another and is excited about building it to the way she wants it to be. She likes the idea of building it to her color and options. It is going to be when I am finished with my 85 build when I start on one like that.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:01 AM

No Problem Terry.

Update on the 22r engine that I've been trying to get out of a truck.

I was given the okay to take what ever I want out of the truck before it goes off to destruction. I had it moved out of the way of all the other cars, but was to tired to take the motor out and even take a picture (I want to head home so I forgot since driving 2 1/2hrs was on my mind).

Anyhow on a quick glance of the engine, I'll be taking the entire engine, it still has the carburetor unlike I originally thought, it doesn't have the air filter housing. The engine look have been modified by someone or shuld I say hack job. Some of the EGR lines have been blocked up (from what I can tell they just cut the vacuum lines and plugged them up rather than putting a plate over the most common areas. the distributor is from a 22re doesn't have that vacuum hook up. Looks to have everything except the A/C, but I will convert it to a injected and hold onto the parts for possible future use. I'm looking to take the CV joint and rebuild for spares I just ordered a 54mm socket just to do that, the rear axle has been cannibalized, but I may take it to make that tool to remove the rear wheel bearings.

I'll be up there on Thursday to take the engine out and will post pictures so you guys could see my score.

Zuk Mod: I'll be posting this in the tech forum as well, but since I have a resource of some used cars and trucks, I would like to know which vehicles year and model I could take them out of to use. A list of would help me and others. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:24 PM

Happy Father's Day to all you fathers out there in yota land
Old 06-15-2014, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Since you are going to be converting it to EFI, all of the hack stuff will go away so that is the good thing on it. I know a guy that used some springs out of a Honda car but not sure what they were. I am wanting to find a set as my Black Magic Springs just keep the back a little taller then I want it to be. I don't really want to do the ball joint spacers myself. I don't want any taller then what I have already. Tall looks great, but I don't like jumping up into a truck myself.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:15 AM

Update news

I've had such a great start of the week that I will post them separately.

Well, it's started out with just the 22r engine which had me all excited. A complete engine and transmission, of course the actual condition was to be determined as it is up for destruction. Even so i was excited that I could even get a complete motor even though it is a 22r, plus it's free. In addition I'll be getting the 4wd manual hubs off it and will try to get the Cv joint to have as spares including the break cylinders, well lets just what ever I can get that will work with my truck.

Here are some pictures i took yesterday of the motor I plan on taking out this week.

Name:  22r1_zps756b32a1.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  101.8 KB
Name:  22r2_zpsf01a2fa3.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  109.2 KB
Name:  22r5_zps2fca6b66.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  113.9 KB
Name:  22r7_zpsd44a9e89.jpg
Size:  104.7 KB
Name:  22r9_zpsf64b32fe.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  96.7 KB
Name:  22r10_zpsb770e0f6.jpg
Size:  98.7 KB

You can see it comes with the starter too.
Name:  22r3_zps8afea2f5.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  98.1 KB

Does this look like a dizzy for the 22r? I think not, but I could be wrong, it works for me anyhow since a 22re is preferred.
Name:  22r4_zps4a5a387f.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  106.5 KB

Here's that exhaust manifold I was talking about, you can see where the Optional O2 sensor would go.
Name:  22r6_zps6799740a.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  93.9 KB

nothing much on the inside of the truck, its pretty trashy inside there. I'm probably going to end up taking the rear shoulder belts maybe even the front as well, to put in the rear seat of my 4runner.

Name:  22r12_zps38400a08.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  46.3 KB
Name:  22r11_zpsd129f431.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  41.2 KB
Name:  22r13_zps8c182e35.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  78.9 KB

Some great parts coming out of this truck to boot another engine.

Last edited by junk4u; 06-17-2014 at 04:17 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Since you are going to be converting it to EFI, all of the hack stuff will go away so that is the good thing on it. I know a guy that used some springs out of a Honda car but not sure what they were. I am wanting to find a set as my Black Magic Springs just keep the back a little taller then I want it to be. I don't really want to do the ball joint spacers myself. I don't want any taller then what I have already. Tall looks great, but I don't like jumping up into a truck myself.
Hi Terry,

you got it I will be converting it to EFI at some point or when I blow an engine our install in the truck that I get for the Sunrader that I purchased last week. I'm not sure if I can post a build thread here for the sunrader as the truck I will be using will fall under the Toyota 86-95 build (restoration) guidelines, just the bed of the truck will have a hugh camper....HAHAHA

As for the ZukMod, I've got a post out in tech to see which springs people are using from a bone yard. I'm getting very little response, but I want that info for myself and for others who are looking to do the ZUkMod. That way if they ever run into any of these types of vehicles at the bone yards they can grab a coil(s).

Hah the older you get the less climbing you want to do, let me get this right in my case. I don't mind the climb, its the jump down.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:28 AM

Things couldn't get any better.

Okay while I was taking pictures of the 22r engine on a semi flat bed our of the way so I can tear it down this week, a couple of guys at the scrap yard were standing around watching me as they know I love these Yotas. They were laughing and waiting. When I came down they said to me a truck came in last week that looked exactly like my truck, of course I though they were joking around and getting there kicks off. So they took me over to the other side and low and behold there sat a 4runner with removable topper a next gen 22re, 88/89 model beat up, but with some really great parts still. I was totally excited. I'm taking stuff I need and want out of the truck as I was only given permission too.

Windshield is cracked so don't want that, but the trim is very clean, will take that for future use. hood was in so so condition, but nothing that can't be fixed up. Yes i will be taking some body parts.
Name:  4runner4_zpsb32ed4dd.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  89.8 KB
Interior is pretty trashed seats look like they went through a cat fight, will probably take the sliders of the seats.

Name:  4runner2_zps98c9761f.jpg
Size:  104.8 KB
Name:  4runner3_zps93304be2.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  107.6 KB

I may take the rear seats and have them redone as the frame in the seat is better.

Name:  4runner1_zps57607ed8.jpg
Size:  82.6 KB

The engine is of newer 22re design so I'm think 88/89 as the throttle body is straight. Either way it is complete 100% with everything ECU and everything. Don't know if its any good - blown gasket simple - knocking simple - Thrown Rod we have an issue, either way I even have a 22r block from that Sunrader I purchased. Who can ask for more... Perks

Name:  4runner5_zps6bf9f25e.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  107.7 KB
Name:  4runner6_zpsa4e8d3f4.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  112.5 KB

Newer MAF
Name:  4runner8_zps58165a6f.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  85.8 KB

Hubs on each side.
Name:  4runner7_zpsc803e7ad.jpg
Size:  117.1 KB
Old 06-17-2014, 06:40 AM

ZukMod

Did I say it couldn't get any better. Heck i thought I would have to wait and search for a coil spring for my runner, but all in less than 7 days I get last week a 22r engine and tranny/transfer hubs. then yesterday i get 22re and all the parts I want off a 1st gen 4runner and a few hours later a jeep laredo drives in because they want to sell it as scrap metal. there's my ZukMod every where I look its a jeep cherokee rubicon etc... that are being used for the zukmod.

My day was rough at work, but the sun was shining at the end of the tunnel.

Name:  jeep_zps58166e2c.jpg
Size:  68.6 KB

By the way if you look in the background you can see an mangled up 4wd toyota pickup. that doesn't have the chasis looks like someones used for something else. Aside from that i took the rear light you see there to use and try to make up a REAR LEAD tail light setup. I just thought about something else that I might be able to get out that truck is the door buzzer to work with my interior dome light door switch that I'm having problems with.

Last edited by junk4u; 06-17-2014 at 06:58 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:30 PM

Received 208 Likes on 146 Posts
Junk - wow, some great finds there, you are lucky to have those scrap yard connections. I finally got a look at those pics on my computer instead of my phone, boy the interior is pretty beat up on that 4Runner. You gonna pull that whole engine? Hopefully between the 22r and this 22re, you've got a good start on an engine for that Sunrader.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by coryc85
Junk - wow, some great finds there, you are lucky to have those scrap yard connections. I finally got a look at those pics on my computer instead of my phone, boy the interior is pretty beat up on that 4Runner. You gonna pull that whole engine? Hopefully between the 22r and this 22re, you've got a good start on an engine for that Sunrader.
Cory - I'm just collecting spare parts right now. I prefer 22re as i am most familiar with. Carbs I think they perform very good and I understand they have just a little more HP, but I hate tinkering with those needle etc... Having those extra parts surplus helps and keeps the wait to a minimum. Only issue I have is the injection parts I need I have not found, it's either a carb or a later version of 22re. Either way I like have the extras around. Even though the fenders and doors are banged up, I may take them and do some body work on them as practice because I have little to none experience with that part. I prefer not to use and type of filler just a hammer and dolly and then a little glazing.

As far as the interior, yeah its pretty trashed with ones custom panel over dash, rear paneling etc... Even the topper was costumed fabric, it looked bad because the topper must have been off sitting for years as the inside ceiling of the topper was loaded with leaves sticking and all the nuts and bolts off the topper. I think that's why the topper was actually damaged when they took it off the probably just dropped it off rather than lay it down. The rear seats can be redone with cushion and fabric and seems to be a better framing than what I actually have. The head rest are missing, but I may try to see if the head rest in the pickup truck will work.

That Sunrader is going to be a task and a half to get back in shape, it's been sitting for sometime opened up. As I mentioned before the cab had been stripped. What I was told by the owner that it was taken apart by someone he hired to take out the motor, but what they ended up doing is take the whole cab apart. I'm not a hundred percent sure how i want to rebuild yet, but my head is flying on that. I mention to you over the past few days via text that I wanted to have a Toyota 4x4 pickup drive in so I can use it for the Sunrader, which I still think is the best option, but so many have taken parts from a 4x4 and swapped out parts to upgrade or rebuild their Sunrader. Right now this very minute I have access to a 4runner for parts which I can transplant into that little old cab to make it what I want. Still seems easier to just swap the shell over to another toytoa 4x4 pickup only transferring the modified portions of the chasis to support and level the shell. The other thing that i am looking for is a 1ton full floating rear axle, not an easy item to find. I have a few friends on the look for one. I remember back in the days by the airport there use to be a bunch of toyota u-hauls box trucks with those dually rear ends even those toyota utility trucks. If I can find one even crushed up with the rear axle in good shape it would be great. this Sunrader has the the 5lug recalled version which i want to change out before something happens.

Quick Reply: 1987 4Runner Cyber Dude