86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1987 4Runner Cyber Dude

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I have never actually seperated the side glass. Glad you posted that info up. I will be adding that to my build thread. Thanks!!
Old 03-14-2014, 08:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Great info! Topper is going to come out great
Old 03-15-2014, 04:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Terry, thanks, but not as good as yours that are very detailed and well pictured. Yours are fantastic documentation. I don’t think I have to patients to do it as tedious as you do.

Hey Gizler, thanks I don’t think its as good as I want it to be, but I want to get it as good as possible and hopefully the 87 topper which is next will be better as I learn from my mistakes. One of the biggest mistakes was using those furry nylon rollers. I should have used a foam roller instead. I was so intent on getting that textured look I never thought this would happen, I was talking to a painter and he mention I could get a slightly better roller, but they pretty much all do release a few strands of furry hair as I called it. Anyhow I am going to see if I can spray it now, but want to get xylol to thin it a little as I read somewhere it won’t spray to well with a HVLP spray gun. I have to check in with those guys that spray their cars with rust-oleum.

Just a note that if I can’t find xylol to thin the rust-oleum then I have to wait on painting. I think ACE Hardware had the smaller can of this stuff as I really don’t think I need a gallon of it. If I don’t find it this weekend, I’ll start on cleaning up the sliding glass frame that’s rusted on the corners where I assume water puddles. So wish me luck on finding this xylol in the smaller can.

Okay been a long 2 day trip and the second day is just starting. Since it was mostly work oriented, there isn’t much to say other than I picked up that Transmission , Transfer case and front differential I left over in Okeechobee. Wasn’t an easy task, I had to separate all the parts basically, Removed the Bell and Transfer case to make it easy to pickup and fit easy in the trunk of a car. Had to shrink wrap it to avoid spilling any of gear fluid in the trunk. They were suppose to book a hotel for me, but somehow forgot to. I ended up driving back home 21/2 hour drive. All the hotels were booked as they were having a fishing tournament on lake Okeechobee. Had to start the drive back at 4am to get there in time for opening.

Well the real part of writing is when I separated the transfer case and transmission, it was pretty clean inside considering that it came out of 89 Toyota pickup more than 20yrs old and a forward shifter which I will convert to a top shifter if it pans out to be good. When I removed the shifters it was pretty clean inside. Looking further this may have been rebuilt at some point, can’t wait to dismantle it to look over the gears to see if they are any good including sycros. I would be very happy if it is in pretty good shape and all I have to do is swap out the case.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Nice score on the parts. Marlin Crawler has a nice write up on the tcases. Been in the hotel situation before. Never thought it would happen not finding a room.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:48 AM

Thanks Terry for the info on the tranny.

Shortly I'm going to see if I can post some pics of the parts I got yesterday of a 1 ton toyota pickup. These parts seem to be identical to the 4runner as I ran the VIN on it and compared the parts.

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Nice score on the parts. Marlin Crawler has a nice write up on the tcases. Been in the hotel situation before. Never thought it would happen not finding a room.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:11 AM

Received 208 Likes on 146 Posts
Junk - you may already know about this guy's stripes, but he sells them...
http://www.jamesdeancreations.com/1987-88.htm

Also on the rollers, burning them probably does the trick too, never thought of that, but washing the roller really well before using it will get rid of a lot of the fuzz.

Create progress buddy.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:25 AM

Thanks Cory... Cant wait to see what you do with the side mirror.

I'm kind of setback right now. The Nissan has a flaw that Nissan doesn't want to recall, there are several major items that they need to recall but aren't going too. It seems like I may have to tear down the tranny from this truck as the flaw is a cheap radiator tranny cooler. Radiator fluid leaks into the tranny cooler lines and contaminates the tranny with radiator fluid destroying most of the clutches and plates inside of it. Looking one is tough as well and very expensive. Rebuilt from the auto parts store will run about $3500 MOL.

Anyhow I was going to post photos of some of the stuff I picked up this weekend, but this above sidetracked me. Since I'm going to try to flush it out because it just started the problem I should have a little time to shoot some pics of the stuff I got.

Originally Posted by coryc85
Junk - you may already know about this guy's stripes, but he sells them...
http://www.jamesdeancreations.com/1987-88.htm

Also on the rollers, burning them probably does the trick too, never thought of that, but washing the roller really well before using it will get rid of a lot of the fuzz.

Create progress buddy.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:28 AM

Cory

Forgot to say that I know about the site you showed me about the strips, but I've heard good and bad things about that. I was looking to paint them on the truck since I'm looking to try and paint the truck anyhow it should be not more than a QT of paint to do those strips. I'm hoping Terry could get me those dimensions I need.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
everything looks great man!, like you, the clip that holds my a/c temp selector broke off, i'm assuming you had to remove the dash pad to get to it?
Old 03-17-2014, 10:48 AM

Thanks mxdw88, Still far from anything. getting side track to day looking for a transmission for the Xterra which has a issue with radiator to Transmission. The transmission is FBAR, but I probably get a few more miles out of it till i find a replacement. Rebuilt $3500 Used $1500-$2500 DIY $500 plus 1 to 2 weeks of fiddling with the clutch and steel plates, band and seals and rings, no press needed its an AT not a MT.

Back on Topic... That little clip, if I recall correctly once you remove just the radio bezel, you should be able to see it and just reach in and clip it in there. I think what happens is the heater control in the engine bay get seized and people try to force it one way or the other and pop that retainer off. Since I was doing some cleaning up behind there and had only the radio bezel and glove box off it was easy to work around and by the way that's how I found the retainer when I pulled the bezel out and blew some air to dust it out back there. I've been looking for a parts truck as I would like or need a replacement windshield and also snag all those extra parts like this off the truck. These little things are hard to get and since the age of the truck doesn't help the dealer doesn't either. After market part are good, you just have to find them and sometimes it take more than one try to find a good source.

Originally Posted by mxdw88
everything looks great man!, like you, the clip that holds my a/c temp selector broke off, i'm assuming you had to remove the dash pad to get to it?
Old 03-17-2014, 12:02 PM

Talking

Ok thanks for the info, thankfully not nearly as invasive as i was expecting, yeah it is getting really old needing 2 ppl to adjust the hot-to-cold (one jiggling the selector, the other under the hood pulling the flapper!) lol. Hopefully if i cant find the clip, i'll be able to zip-tie it in there somehow or something!
Old 03-17-2014, 01:11 PM

No Problem MXDW88, by the way i was looking at your truck early this morning before you posted the pics. Now that you posted a pics, I see that you are going to upgrade the R12, but to what? just curious as I have R152a in mine and so far it works pretty good. Been about 5 to 6 months and so far I can't say anything bad about it. You have fiddle a little with the about of R152a you put in, I just put about 1 3/4cans of the stuff and replace the expansion valve, drier and clean the lines. That's pretty much it. EPA had that at one time as a possible replacement to R12.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by junk4u
No Problem MXDW88, by the way i was looking at your truck early this morning before you posted the pics. Now that you posted a pics, I see that you are going to upgrade the R12, but to what? just curious as I have R152a in mine and so far it works pretty good. Been about 5 to 6 months and so far I can't say anything bad about it. You have fiddle a little with the about of R152a you put in, I just put about 1 3/4cans of the stuff and replace the expansion valve, drier and clean the lines. That's pretty much it. EPA had that at one time as a possible replacement to R12.
i was planning on just using 134a that's what i did in my other truck and its worked fine for the past 3 yrs. What's the advantage with the R152a?
Old 03-17-2014, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I still havent found the dimensions on the graphics. I will post some pics of the 87 I have but some kid blocked the entire section in one color.If you want I can measure and post pics of the runner I have on Wednesday or Thursday, would tht work? I did find James Dean Creations if I remember right and he sells the stripes. I know a guy that bought some off of him and likes his kit real well.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by mxdw88
i was planning on just using 134a that's what i did in my other truck and its worked fine for the past 3 yrs. What's the advantage with the R152a?

Hey mxdw88, I really don't know what the advantages are, but from what I can tell it runs a little cooler than R134 and at lower pressures. I'm trying it out and so far like it a lot. With the changes coming soon, R134a pricing will rise and the newer replacement will come possibly R1234yf as they are having issues with over in EU and how flammable it is. I think in EU they discontinued the use of R134 because of its GWP being over 150 daimlar.

I selected R152a because I wanted something i could get easily and maybe for a while. R152a is your common dust buster you buy at the store.

Here's a link to my testing so far and what i needed and used: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...c-12-a-272470/

Been working good so far with out and upgrades/modifications just replacements as they all need at this time.

I still havent found the dimensions on the graphics. I will post some pics of the 87 I have but some kid blocked the entire section in one color.If you want I can measure and post pics of the runner I have on Wednesday or Thursday, would tht work? I did find James Dean Creations if I remember right and he sells the stripes. I know a guy that bought some off of him and likes his kit real well.

Terry please, I need some sort of start to getting these dim. Thanks on james dean, but I want to see if I can make a mess and try and paint it on. so if you get me what ever dimensions you can on those strips. I know that they do look better with out those strips, but this truck had them once before and I would like to try and bring it back to original as close as possible.

I've been trying to some picks of the items I got this past week, but been so side tracked with that transmission from that other car company. Regrets buy anything but a toyota.

here are some picks from the truck I took them off of before they crushed it all up:

Name:  SAM_7525_zpsf8a0b8c5.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  231.9 KB

Name:  SAM_7527_zps9585c1b7.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  72.1 KB

Name:  SAM_7528_zps4c51fef1.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  268.5 KB
Old 03-19-2014, 05:18 AM

Stuff i scored

Okay I got some pics of stuff I got off that pickup last week.

Here Door floor trim Panel, Glove Box Has a wood panel decal that looks like its out of the 60/70's----GONE , a Radio Bezel, some air Duct, Storage compartment that attaches to the radio bezel, some trim that goes around the door, a wiper, a hood support and grommet
Name:  Lucky6_zps7c233c39.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  140.1 KB

Here you have kick panels, a dash radio cover, Hood release lever, vent register only, water reservoir for the wipers no motor.
Name:  Lucky3_zpsb5e784cd.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  91.2 KB

More duct work and ash tray with some change.
Name:  Lucky1_zps0d0c7b4d.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  124.1 KB

A Pillar paneling these are slightly brittle, but I can be used.
Name:  Lucky5_zpscf94cb6e.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  108.6 KB

Head lights and Brake Booster which I may need soon.
Name:  Lucky4_zps8e376b04.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  116.4 KB

Windshield Trim bottom long, passenger corners and vertical don't know what happen to others they weren't there, and just below on the picture is inner and outter door weather strips.
Name:  Lucky8_zpsc956005e.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  93.3 KB

Some of the stuff here is already shown above.

There are door lock and door lock guides which i needed. And in the Box you can see a bunch of nuts, bolts and screws I just collect off the floor of the truck, Always looking for these they come in handy. Also are the springs for the clutch and I think the other is for the brake not sure. In there is also a couple of door weather stripping clips that i really needed to hold them in place. Drivers side was missing them and every time I closed the door the weather stripping would pop out.
Name:  Lucky2_zpsc714142a.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  158.5 KB

here is what they call the lower instrument panel.

Name:  Lucky7_zpseba02979.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  78.3 KB

I'm keeping most of the stuff here, but everything you see with an arrow point at it you are well to it. You can have them free, but must pay for shipping. And remember it's only those parts with a red arrow point at it that you can have for free.

Last edited by junk4u; 03-19-2014 at 06:31 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have searched everywhere and have not been able to find any dimensions on the stripes. I tried several different search engines with different text and nothing would come up. Below is a picture of the 87 I have, I could get the outline off of it, some kid owned it and just painted over the stripes.

The box on that truck looked to be in great condition. You dont find many like that here. Never seen a wood grained glove box before.

Here is the outlines on the 87 I have. To bad as it was once as nice as Chefs was and had all of the options on it.
Name:  tool2_zpsf565c3a8.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  110.6 KB
Old 03-20-2014, 03:05 AM

I have searched everywhere and have not been able to find any dimensions on the stripes. I tried several different search engines with different text and nothing would come up. Below is a picture of the 87 I have, I could get the outline off of it, some kid owned it and just painted over the stripes.

The box on that truck looked to be in great condition. You dont find many like that here. Never seen a wood grained glove box before.

Here is the outlines on the 87 I have. To bad as it was once as nice as Chefs was and had all of the options on it.

Thanks Terry for the try, i may take a wild guess as to the dimensions by looking at some of the pics I found. In the meantime I'll keep asking around maybe someone will come through for me. Thanks for trying.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:26 AM

Philbert

I am deeply sadden by the tragedy i have found this week. Thank you Dusty9 for original informing me of this. Thank you Chefyota.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/on-air/as-...241933021.html

Last edited by junk4u; 03-23-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I watched those videos. Phil was a great guy. I got some PMs from him and always enjoyed reading his post. 35 and was just married for 7 years. Seems like life was just getting going for him, but he gave it up for someone else and just shows how great of a guy he must have been. Still a tough loss for those that knew him.

Quick Reply: 1987 4Runner Cyber Dude