86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1987 4Runner Cyber Dude

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had to replace my down pipe. i paid 90 bucks for it, i have no welding experience nor do i have a welder or else i would have attempted to fab one up on my own, Dorman makes the replacement i think. on inspection of it when i bought it, I was very happy with it. Welds were clean and the pipe was solid, probably could have smacked it on the ground without bending it.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Terrys87 - These manifolds can be a pain. If I have a good connection from the "Y" pipe to the manifold, I will cut the pipe further on down just to avoid breaking the seal on that area that you showed.

I know what you mean that they can be a pain, that manifold on there isn’t that good as it is any way. The bolts were so tight, one of them snapped when I removed the original motor. I had to drill the center of the bolt out then keep drilling as much as possible then tap the threads. I was lucky to tap along the original threads. Eventually I’d like to replace the exhaust manifold with the same, but make all 3 studs.

I went thru your thread again and didnt see any pictures of your 86. Got any or I miss it somewhere? I try on my threads to show there is so much to do that doesnt cost anything or very little that does need done. I try to stay at $25 a week on my projects and when I do spend some, you will see alot of busywork or using supplies that I have on hand. Sometimes $25 can be a fortune. It is this week as I had a few things to come up but I got plenty to keep me busy for awhile.

Yeah, I have been seeing that and I really like the way you handle your builds and how budget wise they are. I don’t have a photo up yet of the 86 Runner and since it’s in the garage right now it’s kind of hard to take a shot. I have however been looking for some older photos, but haven't found any and I know I have a few somewhere stored away.

On your 86, since you have had it for so long, it is something that has a lot of memories for you. It may be awhile before you can get started on it and put any funds and time into it, but you still have it and tomorrows always have better days in them.

When you do get started on it, I would suggest that you get it into a rolling project as soon as possible. The reason I say rolling project, even if it just means driving it around the yard, you will get some sort of satisfaction out of it, otherwise it will just feel like a money pit or time pit on it.

You aren’t kidding about memories with that 86 truck I do have. That truck was 15’ in the air several times wheeling and been in an accident that cost 8 grand to fix at the time, but could not be considered totaled because the repairs was less than 80% of the replacement value. At least that’s what the insurance company said at the time. I drove it back and forth to G-ville weekly for several years. And the list goes on and on up until about 1997 when it sat in my warehouse then in 1999 I drove it home and parked it where it deteriorated over time. Cleaning a bit looking for some welding rods, I found the new set of those wide mirrors I got to replace the ones that were stolen off the truck back then, I’ll take a picture of it when I get a chance. I was just buying stuff here and there to start rebuilding the truck back in the 90’s but never got around to it. I mentioned before somewhere on here I even got the seats out of a 90’s 4runner as well that I was going to retrofit and the rear seats as well all tucked away in plastic in my garage. When I start working on the 86, I’ll start working on cleaning those up. I don’t think I’ll be doing that much wheeling, getting to old for that. Maybe my son will be doing that, but he better get on the stick and learn how to repair them too…Hahaha

If you have the patience then not getting it moving so fast has its rewards as well as you can take your time and go thru each system thoroghly and can save you some time on having to go back and redo some things. The thing I like about projects is that it is not something I am depending on. I actually enjoy working on problems. When I have a daily driver to go down and even it is something I know and can fix easily, it is nerve wracking.

"Determination and Desperation" is rewarding. My fuel guage hasnt been working for awhile and supposedly at ninety something dollars for a new float assembly for my fuel tank, it just wasnt going to happen. It isnt pretty, but I got the float assembly working out of desparation for free. Just took a little time and I learned something.

You have learned a few tricks on your 87 that will help you on your 86. Each one teaches you something for the next build.

You aren’t kidding about all this. I have learned more than I knew before, back when I first rebuilt the 86 motor, it wasn't because I wanted too it was because it was pretty much stripped with the all of the transmission/t-case, clutch master slave, drive shafts front and back, clutch/Brake/Gas pedal, battery, Seats and mirror. So it was more to get my daily drive up and running than a cool hobby of rebuild, so that’s how I got to know a little about how too, but not much.

bbrideau -I had to replace my down pipe. i paid 90 bucks for it, i have no welding experience nor do i have a welder or else i would have attempted to fab one up on my own, Dorman makes the replacement i think. on inspection of it when i bought it, I was very happy with it. Welds were clean and the pipe was solid, probably could have smacked it on the ground without bending it.

I haven’t welded in a long time either and I don’t own a welder, so I’m pretty much in the same boat. My neighbor is welding it for me as he wants too and I am going to assume that he doesn’t want anyone using his toys as he really never offered to let me use it like some of the tools we borrow from each other. I welded my 86 Runner rear bumber at a Metal shop and had all the tools necessary to cut and weld one nothing fancy like the ones here on this board, just something small and a lot more durable than the factory equipped one. As for the exhaust pipe, I'm going to try and put one together, it would be much cheaper than buying for sure for me. I was at a scrap yard and was trying to find a exhaust line of 1 ½”, but no such luck everything was bigger than that.

Last edited by junk4u; 07-24-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:14 AM

Some of you may know have known that I had to leave town yesterday. I maybe able to get a compressor, but I think it's a 10PA15C instead of 10P15C. I'm not 100% sure about the fit onto the truck, but I understand that the 10PA15C was used on the 22re from 1989 to 1995.

Anyone have any idea if the 10PA15C will fit the 87 4Runner? Other than manifold that has to be used from the 10P15C will it bolt up? What about the Clutch and the belt will it work?
Old 07-24-2013, 07:49 AM

Was looking at the 90's 4runner to see if I could get some Male/Female adaptors for my truck as the one for the AC under the glove box was fried. When I looked inside the harness and everything was gone. I did notice a map light and was going to get that. I went over to the office to get some screw drivers and that was for about 15 minutes or so. When I got back the truck was gone.

Name:  90s4runner_zpsb15f1cd2.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  67.4 KB

Here's where it ended up.

Name:  90sF4runner_zpsff0b7f5e.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  224.6 KB

It's like Fast and the Furious. They work FAST and crush like FURIOUS.
I thought I would ask them to bring it down, but it was crushed so bad and it was about 35 feet on top of the pile. Oh well, maybe next time.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:54 AM

On a good note though, I was so happy when I went to look to see if my tranny/t-case was still there. I was totally surprised to find the other hub that i thought was gone destroyed with the rest of the truck.

More than I want, but I got the other hub. When the owner called me after I left the yard back on July 6th he asked me if I had gotten the parts I needed and I said yes and no. He didn't know what i was talking about so he ask me to send him a picture and I did. He didn't mention anything about it so I figure the truck was crushed by Monday. He was so nice to cut it out for me and set it with the rest of my tranny/t-case and front differential.

Last edited by junk4u; 07-24-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:22 AM

Got a little bit done on the Y-Pipe. My neighbor was going to roll a stainless steel sheet to make the 1 1/2" tubing, but found out it wasn't as easy to make it. Since I was out of town, he bought it at a stainless pipe company.

Name:  exhaustfl_zpse9c27ca0.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  291.6 KB

That's a 1 1/2" Stainless steel pipe replaced.

Name:  NewWeld_zps6e7518fd.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  563.3 KB

Here is what looks like welded up.

Name:  Ydownweld_zps4b093a01.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  52.3 KB

The weld that was there had leaks coming from it. Ground down the weld so we could see the area better and the leaks Here's a hole that it was leaking from. Closed up the hole and should be good at this point.

I will be bolting it up later today. Next week I think I'm going to pick up one of those after market mufflers, There is a rust hole in the one on the truck now, so that would be my next hump I have to cross next week.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:45 PM

Worked on the Y-pipe, leaked like a dragon... Huffing and puffing. Went down to autozone and picked up some new donuts/gasket, when I took down the Y-pipe I figured that the pipe coming through the flange on the manifold side maybe a little to long and maybe preventing me from sandwiching the gaskets properly. I cut back a little on the pipe put the new donuts on and bolted all up. Fired it and the dragon was slain.

Next up is the muffler, there's a after market on there now and I really don't like the setup that was put on. I'll probably buy a after market universal and jimmy rig hangers like the OEM, i can guide myself from my 86 who still has the OEM setup on it. The muffler has rust holes in it, so you can image how it sounds while its running.

The truck is running some otherwise idles at 750 +/- and no Check Engine Light.

Will be back up at the scrap yard tomorrow will be trying to scavenger a celica for some parts, its a 90's that's all thats there at the present time.

Didn't get much of a response from any one on the AC question i had about the 10PA15C about it's bolts up, etc... It would be interesting to know though. I'll probably end up getting it anyhow and figure it out myself, it may just be the issue with the manifold on the compressor that needs to be changed as everyone talks about.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:46 AM

Been busy with other things here and there, so i haven't done much lately. I did finally drop the muffler and will replace it with an after market. The one on there now is a after market. Who ever welded it up di a terrible job welding it.

Here's a pic of the inlet side of the muffler:

Name:  Cat-muf_zps1a758ed3.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  661.1 KB
It sort of looks like the pipe cracked and they welded part of the crack but didn't get all of it so it's actually leaking from that crack.

Here's another pic of the muffler exit:

Name:  TailPipe_zps6045a53f.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  516.8 KB

Kind of makes you wonder if there is anybody out there getting paid and finishing the job. This exhaust system had leaks everywhere.

We plan on cutting out the old muffler and welding in a new muffler and I plan on make hangers that are like the OEM to hook as original.

While I was under there working on removing the muffler I notice this:

Name:  RearWheel_zpsd20a2b3e.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  697.5 KB

Looks like we have a axle seal leak. I guess I have to get in there and replace both inner and outer seals.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dang man, looks kinda like they tried to use jb weld on that! I hate it when people half ass things. Specially before I end up buying it.

Keep up the good work!
Old 08-05-2013, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Orion22rte
Dang man, looks kinda like they tried to use jb weld on that! I hate it when people half ass things. Specially before I end up buying it.

Keep up the good work!
Thanks Orion22rte, I purchased a walker universal from Advance Discount and when I looked at it and checked it out against what i already had i knew something was wrong, so i went back and tried to change it for a Walker OE, but they didn't show one. I already knew the part number I was looking for so they punched it up and said that it may not fit the truck. So I called Walker mufflers and gave them the number of the universal that AD gave me and they said that part number doesn't even show as a fit to the 87 4Runner, yet Ad show it does. they did say the part number I thought would be the correct was indeed the correct one. I asked for dimensions and all was good until the got to the inlet and outlet pipe sizes 1 3/4". I asked them why so large they said that it was actually designed to fit with there own inlet pipe to cat and outlet pipe to tail piping. So I just post postpone purchasing it, plus they want an additional $12 for shipping it to store. Anyhow found a OE complete Inlet Pipe/Muffler/Outlet tail Pipe with hanger for $65 shipped. I'm thinking it over as getting it all together is better than trying to weld it all up together. I'll post what I get and how it works out.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:08 PM

Went and purchased full welded muffler instead of purchasing the muffler by itself. It's an after market, I called the manufacture and they assured me that it would be a direct fit to the flange of the cat. We shall see they said it should arrive by Friday.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
To change the outer seal is an easy job to do and doesnt require any special tools. The inner one requires alot more work. I lucked out and got away with just replacing the out seal. Cheap and easy to do and it is still working.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
To change the outer seal is an easy job to do and doesnt require any special tools. The inner one requires alot more work. I lucked out and got away with just replacing the out seal. Cheap and easy to do and it is still working.

Thanks Terry, I am adding that on my list of things to do, I've been driving the truck around breaking it in and one thing that I would like to get working on is the A/C. I am going to change as many as possible seals (o-rings), the drier and expansion valve as I think it would be a good idea. In talking to the original owner she told me that the A/C one time burst a hose and never worked right after that, plus it was leaking freon (r-134) so they constantly had to add freon until they just stopped using it.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:43 PM

Now for a little update. I received the muffler/tail pipe Friday all I had to do is mount it directly to the cat and hook it up. They call it a direct fit, but it takes some stretching to get it into place. It's not an OEM, but an after market from IMCO, relatively inexpensive and seems to work so far. Can't say it will last a full year or 2, but it's doing the job so far. So everything for the exhaust seems to be done thus far. I'm going to be looking at the A/C as mentioned before weathers to hot and humid right now to be without it. The was a time I could care less and always drove around with the window open/side vent and rear windows, but getting old seems to mean you can tolerate less. Hahaha... I'll be ordering things piece by piece for the A/C, so in the meantime, I be doing little odd ball stuff that also need attending too.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:16 PM

Just remembered a couple of things I remembered that maybe some out there may have answers for.

1) The idle was set at 750rpm. Once started when cold it it idles at around 800. Driving it around for about 15minutes I noticed at the stop lights my idles at 900-950 sometime 1000rpms. It seems to increase idles speed once really warmed up after driving around.

2) The AFM after warming up seems to make a whining sound as if it was revving up. I know its not the AFM as I took the AFM from my 86 runner and put in the 87 and it still makes the same whining sound. Any idea as to what would make it rev up like that?
Old 08-14-2013, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by junk4u
Just remembered a couple of things I remembered that maybe some out there may have answers for.

1) The idle was set at 750rpm. Once started when cold it it idles at around 800. Driving it around for about 15minutes I noticed at the stop lights my idles at 900-950 sometime 1000rpms. It seems to increase idles speed once really warmed up after driving around.

2) The AFM after warming up seems to make a whining sound as if it was revving up. I know its not the AFM as I took the AFM from my 86 runner and put in the 87 and it still makes the same whining sound. Any idea as to what would make it rev up like that?
Is it possible that the RPMs are increasing because the system see the temperature a little to high (gauges don't show that the engine is over heating) So the RPM increases thus increasing the cooling fan speed? To increase the RPMs the AFM is compensating as well?
Old 08-14-2013, 07:34 AM

Received 208 Likes on 146 Posts
Junk, I think I would check that the IACV is working. Sounds like you have almost no cold idle. I would start there. Also, the temp sensor at the front of the intake I believe is the one that tells the ECU what the engine temp is. Terry has had good luck pulling that out and giving it a good scrubbing and putting it back. You can easily check them with an Ohm meter.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by coryc85
Junk, I think I would check that the IACV is working. Sounds like you have almost no cold idle. I would start there. Also, the temp sensor at the front of the intake I believe is the one that tells the ECU what the engine temp is. Terry has had good luck pulling that out and giving it a good scrubbing and putting it back. You can easily check them with an Ohm meter.

Hey Cory, Thanks for chiming in. i tried emailing you earlier, but it seems that webmail company is having problems so I can't login right now. That was my thought at one point, but I hate reaching down there to get at the IACV. The temp sensor I cleaned up and check way back, but that doesn't mean it isn't bad now. I'll look into more as I go, thanks for the help.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Actually just got done posting on Chefs thread about cleaning the sensors. It has solved a few of my problems. The whining/whiseltling/electric motor sound can be the VSV valves little muffler/filter/?? I have one that gets loose and I have to reseat it on there. Are you sure it is in the AFM?
Old 08-15-2013, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Actually just got done posting on Chefs thread about cleaning the sensors. It has solved a few of my problems. The whining/whiseltling/electric motor sound can be the VSV valves little muffler/filter/?? I have one that gets loose and I have to reseat it on there. Are you sure it is in the AFM?
Terry - Thanks for chiming in. I had this come up a few weeks ago and actually took the AFM from the 86 runner and it did the same thing. I'm going to try swapping out the Temp Sensor and IACV one at a time. Cory suggested that I test out the IACV for resistance and applying the heat and cooling to see if its working properly. I'll try the temp sensor first then work my way onto the IACV if its not the sensor. The sensor was cleaned and test and it came out okay earlier, but who knows at this point. The truck is running cranks on the first turn.

Quick Reply: 1987 4Runner Cyber Dude