Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

yotantn's 1981 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 08:06 AM

Received 100 Likes on 71 Posts
It's great to see it running! I'm continually amazed you still have your first truck and all the pictures you took. I had some great vehicles but I don't seem to have any pictures that don't have people in them.

When you get the dash pad on don't over tighten it. I have heard that it will cause it to crack again. And use one of those annoying windshield sun block things. I have a 13 year old and a 24 year old Toyota and they both don't have cracks thanks to keeping the sun off them.

If you don't want your old cracked dash pad you might think about offering it for sale here because someone is sure to want it. Several people have repaired them with fiberglass and they look pretty good.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nervo19
It's great to see it running! I'm continually amazed you still have your first truck and all the pictures you took. I had some great vehicles but I don't seem to have any pictures that don't have people in them.

When you get the dash pad on don't over tighten it. I have heard that it will cause it to crack again. And use one of those annoying windshield sun block things. I have a 13 year old and a 24 year old Toyota and they both don't have cracks thanks to keeping the sun off them.

If you don't want your old cracked dash pad you might think about offering it for sale here because someone is sure to want it. Several people have repaired them with fiberglass and they look pretty good.
Good advice bud. Thanks. I was flipping through your pix and saw those mirrors
http://s1199.photobucket.com/user/Ne...stom2.jpg.html
Where did you get those? That looks like my original mirrors.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:52 AM

I changed the oil and plugs this weekend. HOPEfully Tuesday, we'll get the carb adjusted, new plug wires, all the vacuum hoses hooked back up and get the motor steady running. And hope to get that driver side braker/calipers back on.
I'm slow and steady...but I am having a good time tinkering around in my barn with her. I had a goal of getting her going and getting her back up in my garage. But, it's nice being by the creek in the shade in the barn tinkering with the truck and listening to old 80's music and piecing our past back together. lol.

These are the rims I'd like to get back on her. Is this a good place to order from? If I can't find them locally?
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Se...FVJp7Aodkk8AOg

Last edited by yotantn; 06-24-2013 at 02:57 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:21 PM

Well, you know one step forward, two steps back today.
I posted THIS thread about the fuel line. I hate that. I hate even worse if we have to drop the fuel tank to find out why.
Also found out the master cylinder is bad. That's not a huge deal..not as big as figuring out why the fuel isn't getting from the tank to the engine very well.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
FYI, there is a drain plug on the tank. Drain the fuel and start fresh. If you have a lot of rust come out with the fuel when it drains then I would suggest dropping the tank and sealing it with a sealer kit. If all comes out good, then check the rubber hoses for deterioration and kinks. You can also disconnect the hose from the fuel pump to the carb and have somebody turn the inigition over to make sure that the pump is pumping fuel adequately. The mechanical pump will spew a lot of fuel if it is running properly.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by kawazx636
FYI, there is a drain plug on the tank. Drain the fuel and start fresh. If you have a lot of rust come out with the fuel when it drains then I would suggest dropping the tank and sealing it with a sealer kit. If all comes out good, then check the rubber hoses for deterioration and kinks. You can also disconnect the hose from the fuel pump to the carb and have somebody turn the inigition over to make sure that the pump is pumping fuel adequately. The mechanical pump will spew a lot of fuel if it is running properly.
good thoughts. I had some good answers over on that other thread HERE.
I had forgotten about just draining the tank. But..I think the gas is pretty clear now. It seems like there is a physical reason we're not getting the volume of gas she needs to sustain an idle.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yotantn
good thoughts. I had some good answers over on that other thread HERE.
I had forgotten about just draining the tank. But..I think the gas is pretty clear now. It seems like there is a physical reason we're not getting the volume of gas she needs to sustain an idle.
I had to flush my tank out a few times... I also had to replace the sock on the pick up..I would drop the tank and blow out all of the lines...
Old 06-25-2013, 08:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by yotantn
These are the rims I'd like to get back on her. Is this a good place to order from? If I can't find them locally?
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Se...FVJp7Aodkk8AOg
They are a good company. The wheels on my 83 I bought from them.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by 83Toyota88
They are a good company. The wheels on my 83 I bought from them.
thanks, I may end up buying from them. They're 20 a piece cheaper.

Originally Posted by gmack192
I had to flush my tank out a few times... I also had to replace the sock on the pick up..I would drop the tank and blow out all of the lines...
Yea, it's looking like that's what we're gonna have to do.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114.../#post52090416
Old 06-26-2013, 04:37 PM

How cool is that? FOund underneath my front seat. Google said 79-81 was the desig...

OMG>>why did a feminine hygiene product just pop up on a friggin truck forum??? Jeez.

Anyway, I guess I just didn't keep housekeeping as well as I thought. It was actually wedged under a seat brace. And it was bottled in my hometown of Lexington Tn where the Coke plant has long since closed.

Just a little thing to throw in here.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:19 AM

REAL sugar is one of the ingredients! The good old days!

I have two sets of those Cal Custom mirrors. Minty fresh in the box from a store closing sale. I was going to put them on eBay but I took those pictures a year ago and haven't put them there yet. They are chrome. There is a copyright date on the box of 1983. I really like the Cal Custom box because that's what you'd see for sale at KMart back in those days. I had a VW in high school and I remember all the Cal Custom stuff they made for them and in hindsight I'm thankful I couldn't afford much past the barefoot gas pedal. If you have PayPal, PM me a fair price and I'll sell you a set.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Nervo19

REAL sugar is one of the ingredients! The good old days!

I have two sets of those Cal Custom mirrors. Minty fresh in the box from a store closing sale. I was going to put them on eBay but I took those pictures a year ago and haven't put them there yet. They are chrome. There is a copyright date on the box of 1983. I really like the Cal Custom box because that's what you'd see for sale at KMart back in those days. I had a VW in high school and I remember all the Cal Custom stuff they made for them and in hindsight I'm thankful I couldn't afford much past the barefoot gas pedal. If you have PayPal, PM me a fair price and I'll sell you a set.
Hey man, I had the barefoot gas pedal too! And Yosemite Sam floormats. LOL.
In my 72 Chevelle SuperSport that I traded in on this truck.
Pm sent.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:38 AM

I never got a PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:40 PM

Dash out

Alrighty then, bad dash out. Hoping the new one fits.

As you can see, it didn't come out easily. It's still physically in one piece, but it's really busted up. I didn't know that it was connected up front by those pinched in metal rivet things.

I'll sure be glad to get that new dash in. Inspiration to move on forward. I'm sure gonna have to paint that metal part of the dash. I'll have to investigate options there. It's not that much to have to paint. Probably just try to match it to that original blue inside of the dash. Tape off around all it and spray it.
Hoping to get that tank dropped next week and get the fuel feed situation done. I help, but I ain't no mechanic. I'm a darn good assistant though. Or if you tell me what needs to be done, I'l get er done.

I'm pretty good with the cosmetic stuff though. See that bezel around the radio...that's the one I wanna replace now. Put it back to stock with the box it had where we put that equalizer in. Clean it up. Shiney and new looking. Keep an eye out for one like that boys and hit me up if you run into it.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:44 PM

Couple of more things I did today. Replaced those door cranks with new ones and the light cover was rotten and crumbling apart. Would like to have those door handle inserts colored up. Maybe paint those as well. The door handles actually still look new.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:48 AM

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Going to the junk yard Monday or Tuesday, looking for parts for my '81. If you need certain parts that I can look out for you, PM a list. I might be interested in your old dash pad, if the price is right.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Lons81
Going to the junk yard Monday or Tuesday, looking for parts for my '81. If you need certain parts that I can look out for you, PM a list. I might be interested in your old dash pad, if the price is right.
What a great offer. I'm going to look at a junkyard around here, but really, it'd be very unusual to find one here. They were not that popular here even in the 80's.
Mechanically, mine's pretty sound, I think. So if I need parts for the motor and such, I don't know what they are yet.
I have these already stated current issues of the tank needing to be pulled and cleaned and I'm loosing loosing brake fluid from somewhere. Maybe bad master. All's I know is when we're trying to bleed the brakes, no fluid is coming down to the caliper bleed valve. We're not sure yet. It's going out of the master somewhere. I pump the pedal and it's tight and after a few pumps it just goes limp. hate it when that happens. lol.

I'm also thinking of painting that tank once we get it off. Just because.

As for my dash pad, I tell you buddy, it's really beat up. It'll go one, but it's got some chunks out of it down over the glovebox.
I've posted this in the WTB forum, so if you see any of these, I'll surely pay you a reasonable price for your trouble and shipping. Or we might can work something out for my dash pad.
thanks,
Mark
p.s., I went to see your truck, awesome work dood. Really

Factor GRAY radio bezel trim with cubby hole storage pocket for 81 hi lux.
Also would like stock am/fm pushbutton radio.
Am looking for a stock center console, blue.
And could use the fastening clip to the back window.
PM me if you have any of these for sale. glad to pay reasonable price + shipping.
Thanks,

Mark
Old 07-01-2013, 04:39 AM

Hoping to at least get the skid plate off this week sometimes. have to wait on my mechanic buddy to drop that tank.....
I think.
We'll see how it rolls.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:47 PM

Yea, it's just laid up there, but it's beautiful to see what it will look like again once it's restored. You can see it came in a Genuine Yota parts box.
I'm happy with it.
But, yea..it makes the rest of the dash look it's age now. LOL.
What's the gig with taking this metal dash out to paint it?
BFD?
Or just pop out a few bolts? I know the bezels come off, but that's not a big deal. In fact I'm hoping I can get a new one for that bunged up radio bezel anyways. hint hint.

Last edited by yotantn; 07-01-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wanted to give you a little idea of what i did putting factory A/c in...While you have the dash open you might as well do it all. Change the heater core, clean the gauge cluster, clean the de-frost plenums ect. I know you want to get things up and running, but this is the second time I restored" the interior and I wasn't going to compromise this time. It was well worth the hard work, I won't have to do it for another 30 years! Plus I got factory A/c, best of luck -t

PS you do have the FSM?
Attached Thumbnails yotantn's 1981 Pickup Build-Up Thread-int1.jpg   yotantn's 1981 Pickup Build-Up Thread-photo-9.jpg  

Quick Reply: yotantn's 1981 Pickup Build-Up Thread