Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

yotantn's 1981 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 08:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok.. Drove her back home yesterday from the repair shop and she drove great. Even shifted better as he said he did some work on something, regulated? to do with the amount of fuel as she idled down in between shifts.
Also these are what he took out to see if one or both were causing the random dieing during idle issue.
"Outer bowl vent control valve, and an idle fuel cut solenoid."
She would go, but SOMETIMES when she would idle down, during a shift, stopped at a light or just starting up, she'd just shut down.
And then other times, she'd run perfect.
He's been driving her around for a couple of weeks on shop errands and she's done fine without those parts.
She did fine with me yesterday. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Last edited by yotantn; 12-13-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fingers crossed...
Old 12-13-2013, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by gmack192
Fingers crossed...
Thanks
Wondering here if anyone here has had a similar problem.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man I hope that problem is fixed! Do you happen to drive that truck with a bunch of keys and heavy key chain (i.e. lots of weight on the ignition barrel)? It may not be toyota related but when I worked at a vw dealership we had intermitant shut off problems due to faulty ignition switches because of people having heavy key chains and wearing out the ignition barrel and switch.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by gillesdetrail
Man I hope that problem is fixed! Do you happen to drive that truck with a bunch of keys and heavy key chain (i.e. lots of weight on the ignition barrel)? It may not be toyota related but when I worked at a vw dealership we had intermitant shut off problems due to faulty ignition switches because of people having heavy key chains and wearing out the ignition barrel and switch.
Yea buddy, I hope that problem is fixed too.
To the keys, naw but thanks for that suggestion
...it's just a little key fob that I use, only has that one key on it. Actually it's the original key fob I drove off the lot with in 1981..I just had it laminated cause it was getting a little ratty. ,this is it:
Old 12-14-2013, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by yotantn
Yea buddy, I hope that problem is fixed too.
To the keys, naw but thanks for that suggestion
...it's just a little key fob that I use, only has that one key on it. Actually it's the original key fob I drove off the lot with in 1981..I just had it laminated cause it was getting a little ratty. ,this is it:
That is beyond COOL.... To me any way.. I had to preplace my factory key, it was so thin it was bending all the time.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:28 PM

Yes that is very cool! What is funny is that even today many dealerships use the same tag, but they are already laminated.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:42 PM

That is awesome!!! May have to frame it one day with a then and now pic. Awesome!!
Old 12-14-2013, 01:06 PM

Yea, my wife has gotten onto me for keeping old junk. lol. But most of the time it comes in handy later on.
I think the thing was that was my first thing I ever went into debt over, so I kept up with everything. Right outta high school, had a good factory job, before college..making $8.00 an hour! Schawing! So, I was young, single, rollin..soon the line shut down and well, the rest is history.
But that lil blue truck was always special for me and I kept up with everything on it. Except the radio, we swapped out for an equalizer and cassette player for Journey cassettes with the sunroof out.
Not sure where that stock radio is to this day, there was beer involved in the shop that night. lol.
But I had tossed that key fob in with the original papers (showing finance at 17%, yikes)
in a big brown envelope labelled Toy that I've kept all these years.
FYI, that is the original key and it really looks bout slick as my head is now. lol.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:42 PM

We need a picture of the head for comparison, you know how we are here, visual people
Old 12-14-2013, 02:09 PM

We need a picture of the head for comparison, you know how we are here, visual people
Careful what you ask for... Might break your screen. :-)

Last edited by yotantn; 12-14-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:27 PM

Your truck is sweet, my favorite one on here. It's hard to believe how immaculate it is after so long, and that you're the original owner. I wish mine was as nice!
Old 12-17-2013, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Cab4you26
Your truck is sweet, my favorite one on here. It's hard to believe how immaculate it is after so long, and that you're the original owner. I wish mine was as nice!
Thanks man. That's saying a lot, there's a lot of cool Toys on here. Preciate it. She had me at hello. Haha.
She's been easy to keep around all these years.
I'm watching what you got going on with your rig. Good stuff bud.
Next thing on my list is get this stock radio back in. Can't get the rest of the dash in/on until I get that mounted and the wiring figured out. Going from one speaker to two has got me sideways. Got a buddy that is good with this stuff though.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:44 PM

Nothing new....
Just think my truck is sexy today.

yotantn's 1981 Pickup Build-Up Thread-forumrunner_20131222_164256.png
Old 12-22-2013, 03:04 PM

It IS.... MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and yours..
Old 12-22-2013, 03:38 PM

So does it seem to be fixed?
Old 12-22-2013, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by gmack192
It IS.... MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and yours..
Thank you bud! Hope things are shaping up for a Merry Christmas for you up there and your folks are doing better. You gotta get down to west Tn sometimes.

So does it seem to be fixed?
Well, I drove her awhile today and man she drives like a dream now. Not dying and shifting really good.
I spoke with the mechanic and we believe that it was either one or both of the solenoids.... which are both out now.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:10 AM

Man, she's driving great. I, NOT the mechanic, has diagnosed the problem as the idle solenoid.
I've been doing some reading and that seems to have been a common issue with that model and year. I'm just going to leave it out. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Now to getting all the dash and parts back in. Got the radio and speakers figured out. Had to open it up and grease some of the moving parts. The push buttons worked but hung up some. Seems to be ok now.
Have to get an extension for the antenna. That is apparantly the ground for the radio, cause without it stuck in, we don't even get static. Still have to fix rig a bracket back in where we cut one side out, to mount the radio back in.
My hopes in the end result is that the stock is back in, dash looking stock again. But with a bluetooth aux somehow for my my phone to stream through.

I really need to replace the lights in the dashboard as long as it's all apart.
WHAT kind do I need to get and where do you get them? I see some at Advance auto but their outrageous priced.
Online...I'm a lil shy about buying from Bob's house of lights or whatever cheesy place.
It needs to be LED's. I've posted HERE
because I put in the year in superbrights and it pulled up THREE pages for LEDs for just the dashboard.???
I just want to get something that is white, bright and lasts 30 more years and is not 10.00 a bulb.

Little by little......
Old 12-24-2013, 07:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by yotantn
I really need to replace the lights in the dashboard as long as it's all apart.
WHAT kind do I need to get and where do you get them? I see some at Advance auto but their outrageous priced.
Online...I'm a lil shy about buying from Bob's house of lights or whatever cheesy place.
It needs to be LED's. I've posted HERE
because I put in the year in superbrights and it pulled up THREE pages for LEDs for just the dashboard.???
I just want to get something that is white, bright and lasts 30 more years and is not 10.00 a bulb.

Little by little......
My local Autozone has 2 bulbs for $5. The bulb number is 194. Now for LED's I will send you to one of Dropzone's threads. Looks to be cheaper than buying normal bulbs.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114...s-swap-262525/

Merry Christmas!

(P.S.) Me and my old bucket of rust are going trout fishing today.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How's it going?? When you gonna sell me that camper top lol.

Quick Reply: yotantn's 1981 Pickup Build-Up Thread