Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

dirtdobberoffroad's 1982 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 05:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Terry where ya been? yeah the tree branch I used to pull the engine got damaged over the summer and I had to cut it off....it was about the same size as the 4x4 but it was still green and flexible...
Old 02-28-2012, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Staying busy,trying to stay caught up on my 86 thread is being a handful. You are making some good progress. Keep at it, you will get there.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:58 AM

Alright I got the engine dropped in, I had a problem with the clutch it would not go on the shaft coming out of the transmission...after 4hrs of fighting this thing I took it back to the O (auto parts chain store) they swapped my clutch for another one the same part # I got it home and it slid on the shaft with no problem. I should have checked before I bolted it all up to the engine I will know next time. I hope to have every thing done by this weekend so I can fire it up, I have got to work some OT this week and wont have that much time after work to work on it....

Last weekend I picked up a perfect dash insert for my truck I thought the 79 would fit it but the heat and air controls are made different and I dont think I will be able to find one so I decided to make a dash insert out of aluminum so I can cut it up with out messing up this perfect dash insert. Which is now for sale!!!!
Old 03-12-2012, 04:47 AM

Well I got all the hoses, belts and fluids in it, got my battery charged hooked every thing up turned the key and CLICK.....CLICK.......CLICK........nothing........ ..................pulled the battery off my car hooked it up. pushed on the gas pedal once turned the key and vroooom........and instantly died....so I fired it back up and instantly died....did it agian but pushed on the choke to keep it running. My dad showed up so I had him close the choke (I put the thing together wrong and instead of closing the choke it was holding it open) and it fired up and ran smooth after it warmed up he let go of the choke and it started running like crap and died....after a lot of messing with the carb I decide I had a vacuum leak at the intake, went and bought another one and put it on, took the choke off the carb and put it on right. Hopped in pumped once and fired up and ran like a sewing machine smooth and quite.....
Old 03-12-2012, 04:53 AM

Iv had it up to a wopping 25-30 mph so far. I still need to bleed the brakes....I bled the clutch just enough to get it to go in gear (kinda) and took off. All toghether its ran bout an hour off and on and burned thru a little over a gallon of gas.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

A BIG Congratulations!!! That is some kind of feeling. Other then the choke issue, sounds like your carb rebuild went great. Getting it in gear helps and I hear brakes are kind of important.lol But bleeding isnt a bad job. Congratulations again.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:46 PM

Thanks yeah if I pump them about 4 times they will stop me.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:57 AM

Got the brakes working took it for a run! @ full throttle the thing runs like a but at half and quarter throttle it feels like it is running out of gas.....it runs like until the secondary opens I can choke it and it will smooth out like it has a vacuum leak but I cannot find one. When I choke it I can run it up untill about half throttle and it runs smooth.

I am wondering if I need to put in larger primary jet?

Last edited by dirtdobberoffroad; 03-13-2012 at 05:59 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:49 AM

Alright I did little fiddling with the carb, first I adjusted the float bolw level I had it between 1/2 and a 1/4 so now I have it right on 1/2. that had no affect.

then I pulled the primary jet out and found a pc of in it and cleaned that out put it all back on fired it up and nothing was different.....so I pulled the 20 r carb apart and found out that the pirmary and secondary jets in it will screw into the primary on the 22r carb. I chewed the jet up pulling it out of the 22r carb the first time and couldnt read the # on it the primary in the 20r is 121 and the secondary is 170 I belive that is correct. The primary in the 22r is 108 I think. I put the secondary (170) in my primary fired it up and it ran smooth at idle....I reved it a little bog at first and then it was smooth (drivable) I took it for a spin (not bad).....so then I tried to figure out the bog.....of course its getting to much fuel as soon as I crack the throttle but then it seems just right. I then check the vacuum advance on my dizzy and the diaphram in it is busted it wont hold, I changed with good one I had and now it is running like crap again. My plans are to put the 121 jet in it first, if that does not do any thing, I am gonna put the 170 back in and take the extra foot pump cam that I have and file the lump down on it a little so the engine has time to pick up rpm a little bit before the foot pump (accelerator pump) has time to squirt fuel in. ( I wish the foot pump was adjustable on this thing).

any one have any input?
Old 03-19-2012, 05:21 AM

Got all that figured out I installeda 121 jet in the primary slot and it runs as if was fuel injected....WOOOOWHOOOOO but now I belive I have a blown head gasket. it white smokes horrible with the radiator cab off and if I put the cap on it really blows smoke.....the antifreeze starts steeming in the radiator as soon as the truck starts....and the plug is black in the #4 hole....dang it I hate to pull that head off, I knew I should have used the NAPA gasket instead of the Rock Gasket.....any one else have any problems with the head gasket from engn bldr? I hope the remaned head I bought was not warped and that they decked the block good. I tourqed it down to what LC's specs where so I dont know what went wrong?

Last edited by dirtdobberoffroad; 03-19-2012 at 05:28 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:24 PM

compression check yeilded

#1-170
#2-175
#3-170
#4-185
Old 03-23-2012, 05:35 AM

stopped by a little back woods junk yard yesterday just to see what all he had, two 2x4 yotas 84+ but one had a good bed that almost looks just like mine with out the hooks I think Im gonna pick it up to make my off road trailer out of I forgot to ask a price, I found an old datsun bed with a little rust for 30 bucks in some ones back yard. I found some 63" chevys he said you pull em 20 bucks...........I asked a pc. he said naw a parr...........I asked on a coulple more things they were really cheap also, I thought I found a IFS steering box but I was just getting exited for no reason it was a 2x4 box......but he said yeah any of those you pull them 20 bucks...I hope he gets a ifs 4x4 in, he did have a 84 extra cab 4x4 there I want the transmission and t case out of...it looked alittle different under the hood than most I have seen it might have been a turbo truck...the head was missing so I dont know.

Last edited by dirtdobberoffroad; 03-23-2012 at 05:38 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:24 PM

I pulled the head and deffenatly the head gasket, picked up a felpro im just waiting on a new intake gasket...

as far as the junk yard parts I asked him the price for the rust free 2x4 bed he told me 70 bucks, my budy picked up a 84 front axle for 40 from him and a transmission and tcase for 150 I was hope'n he woulnt buy the case. I need it...lol
Old 04-09-2012, 04:50 AM

Got it all put back together and it purs like a kitten....with a hickup.....I dont know why its got a sputter at idle.....and it pings like crazy at full throttle on the high way.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:35 AM

I got the smoking fixed finally, the truck runs great and it is fun to drive, it has a pretty good exhaust leak behind the cat my wife said it sounds like my old cbr...LOL. I have got to get that fixed before I can get it leagal. I will start saving and gathering parts for my SAS soon.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:00 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Glad to hear you got it running after the carb issues. I remember what the CBRs sounded like.lol.. Rear axle probably wont cost as much, it the front axle.grr Looking forward to seeing you getting it under there and running.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:04 AM

Well its not running great I cant hardly get it to idle now I dont know what is wrong......I figured out one problem I conected the two remaning fuel lines that are not used together and it was causing a lot of preasure to build up in the tank forcing gas into my carb and flooding it now that that is fixed I kinda think I have a vacuum leak but I cannot find it Ive soaked everything with wd4 and it never made a chang in the engine sound....I need help!
Old 05-03-2012, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have heard to use an unlit propane torch to help find leaks as it will rev up. I havent tried it but could see where work.

Check your return lines. The metal lines get really clogged with rust build up. Try using a air hose to clear the lines.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:23 AM

I think I figured it out it was an electrical connection to the Idle Fuel Cut Selonoid, I replaceded the plug that goes to the carburator with a weather proof connectors and all seems good so far.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love your signature. That's a great, very important quote

Quick Reply: dirtdobberoffroad's 1982 Pickup Build-Up Thread