Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

83Toyota88's 1983 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 11:59 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I know it's not a solution, 83... But FANS HELP TREMENDOUSLY! I have 2 that I hang up off the rafters in the garage........ They REALLY make it FAR more bearable, ya know?
Old 09-12-2012, 12:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh I know I havw box fan I have been using while its been hot. I just waiting for cooler weather to really strip her apart.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:44 AM

Well I did my extended brake lines and was interesting to say the least. Figured out with cables I got off 2nd gen trucks they can only be put between the tee on the axle and the existing cable. It won't work if you try and put the new cable between the old cable and where it connects on the bracket to the hard line. The head is different and doesn't allow for the clip to slide on to hold in place. Needless to say brake fluid went everywhere while I was figuring this out and this is just the rear lol. Now the front was even worse. On the back the connector on the cable is round and goes through a round hole and then you slide the clip on. On the front cable where they connect to the bracket on the wheel they are a combination between round and hexagon. Its a hexagon that has two opposing corners rounded off. And the hole in the bracket is the same way. No idea why but its really stupid. So I had to grind down the hexagon shape on the cables a little to match the hole. Guess I shoulda just bought extended cables from somewhere but I like my $16 extended cables and it was interesting putting them on. Now picture time.

Back done:

Front right before:

ground down the cable head:

right front cable done:

left front before:

left front done:
Old 09-23-2012, 07:18 AM

Went and played a little yesterday till my friend's Jeep over heated.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I gotta congratulate you on finding yourself a diamond in the rough, there.
Early on, I saw the surface rust on the frame and axles and thought it might be a hopeless case, but you've made a fine rig out of that beast after all, great work!
Old 09-23-2012, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by RobotMoose
Well, I gotta congratulate you on finding yourself a diamond in the rough, there.
Early on, I saw the surface rust on the frame and axles and thought it might be a hopeless case, but you've made a fine rig out of that beast after all, great work!
Thanks a lot! Got it going pretty good now but still a lot of work to do. Been eye-ballin a yellow optima battery 34/78 for $155. My battery is due for replacement.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:21 PM

Alright I'm seriously looking into putting a GM alt on the truck. My winch and future twin 100 watt lights cry at the sight of the stock alternator . Going to the scrap yard Saturday to get a 100 to 105 amp alt from probably a S-10. Can get the plug from it to and going to take the mounting bracket also. I really really wanna put the alt on passenger side of the motor where a A/C compressor usually goes to keep it away from water a lot better than its current location. I read several articles on people that used the chevy mount and modified slightly and it blots to existing hole in the block. Of course no one had pictures
Only one I found with pictures the guy completely made a custom bracket from angle iron and it looks really cool.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...l#post14815210

So I'm on a mission to make this work. I'm borrowing my friends mig welder in case I need to fab a bracket or really modify a chevy one. Got some scrap metal I have had a while and forgot about

I plan to get the new(old) alt and do the bracket and get it mounted and drive to the store and get a belt for it. I might leave the other alt on for awhile just un-hook it and wire in the new one till I confirm I like the setup.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:08 PM

Now I'm thinking If I can get the new alt on the passenger side to work I could use the stock alt to keep a second battery charged? Might be crazy but could have a spare battery always being charged.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:36 PM

Not sure about a spare battery.... But if you can permanently mount a 2nd battery somewhere(like the bed), you can just run a "Battery Isolator" kit..... And DENNNNNNN, you'll have a charging system that can 'switch' from one battery to the other. I had this in my 70 CST Blazer/350-4spd 4Bolt main... If I sat up all night with the radio, I could either switch to the other battery or leave it automatic... And the isolator kit would START my rig from the 'fresh' battery.... then, once running, it would automatically switch to charging the "low" one. Ya know? 2 Alternators wouldn't be practical or needed.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Not sure about a spare battery.... But if you can permanently mount a 2nd battery somewhere(like the bed), you can just run a "Battery Isolator" kit..... And DENNNNNNN, you'll have a charging system that can 'switch' from one battery to the other. I had this in my 70 CST Blazer/350-4spd 4Bolt main... If I sat up all night with the radio, I could either switch to the other battery or leave it automatic... And the isolator kit would START my rig from the 'fresh' battery.... then, once running, it would automatically switch to charging the "low" one. Ya know? 2 Alternators wouldn't be practical or needed.
Yea I though about that too.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:16 PM

Been looking at the inventory at the scrapyard and then looking at their alternators on napa and it looks like a cadillac deville is the best option. The scrapyard has at least 20 of them and they have 100+ amp alts that have the 12 and 6 o'clock mounting positions that you have to have for the 22R.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:15 PM

I'll be watchin to see how the Caddynator Mod works out!

PS> What year Deville, bud? Does it say? I had a 77 Fleetwood Sedan DeVille..... BEAST! lol..... LOVED that car! I have a pic somewhere on a trip to Mammoth in the 80's! .......... Doesn't matter if it's a Coupe Deville or Sedan DeVille? (not sure why it would, just curious... GM was pretty interchangeable back then).
Old 09-28-2012, 06:59 AM

I'll be watchin to see how the Caddynator Mod works out!

PS> What year Deville, bud? Does it say? I had a 77 Fleetwood Sedan DeVille..... BEAST! lol..... LOVED that car! I have a pic somewhere on a trip to Mammoth in the 80's! .......... Doesn't matter if it's a Coupe Deville or Sedan DeVille? (not sure why it would, just curious... GM was pretty interchangeable back then).
I looked at some mid to low 90's Deville's on Napa and they seem to have the right alt I think. Now I'm pretty sure I have read the Fleetwood has an alt you can use too.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:51 AM

Went to the scrapyard at lunch today and found an alternator. Came out of a 94 Cadillac Deville with a 4.9L V8. It appears to be a cs144 140 amp alternator by all the replacement ones I looked up on NAPA and Autozone It was the only one I found still in place that had the 12 and 6 o'clock positions needed. This will be plenty of power for my stuff. It does have a grooved pulley but I'm pretty sure I might be able to change the one off my existing alternator to this one. I'm looking around to see if I can buy a v-belt pulley from somewhere. Need the plug for the alt too the one that it had on it disintegrated when I touched it lol. Probably going to go back after work (its 5 minutes away ) and really look through all the gm cars for a pulley and possibly a mounting bracket similar to the trail gear one and a plug. Don't know if I have the tools with me to remove a pulley though lol. Here some pics of the alt:

Old 09-28-2012, 02:58 PM

Just ordered a new pulley/fan for the alt. Got a steal on Summit racing for $20 shipped:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-6808/
Old 09-28-2012, 05:45 PM

140A, eh? WOWIE! lol. I heard MR2 Alternators are 110A.... Never knew that. I'll have to look into it more... I see them all the time at the yards... NOT easy to get to, however! lol.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:11 PM

140A, eh? WOWIE! lol. I heard MR2 Alternators are 110A.... Never knew that. I'll have to look into it more... I see them all the time at the yards... NOT easy to get to, however! lol.
Yea I read some more on the cs144's and apparently a 1994 Cadallic Deville is almost a guarantied 140 amp alt. This was extremely easy to get to it was right on the very top of the motor in the center. I looked at the mount for it and it was massive so I just left it. I will try and make my own.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:35 PM

Mount AND adjustment to the adjuster bracket... (i've read most have had to on the GM swap)...

Anyway, far as the bracket, just measure METICULOUSLY, that way you'll have PERFECT alignment with the crank pulley..... I wonder if you can just SHAVE some of the GM alternator pivot bolt section of the alternator down and shorten the shaft.... So it would fit in the stock bracket, I mean. I never seen anyone do that...BUT, ... curious why it wouldn't work(I'm sure there's a good reason, I just wanna know, cuz I'm curiuos! hehe.)

Best wishes with this... Hope it works out well!

PS> I WISH someone from Trailgear or something would make a "GM Alternator Swap Mounting/Pivot Bracket" for our rigs... Ya know? I KNOW they would sell... They could probably just buy some other bracket that's close and shave it down, etc., ... ya know what I mean? Gosh I hope so, or I'm just sounding silly! haha.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:42 PM

Mount AND adjustment to the adjuster bracket... (i've read most have had to on the GM swap)...

Anyway, far as the bracket, just measure METICULOUSLY, that way you'll have PERFECT alignment with the crank pulley..... I wonder if you can just SHAVE some of the GM alternator pivot bolt section of the alternator down and shorten the shaft.... So it would fit in the stock bracket, I mean. I never seen anyone do that...BUT, ... curious why it wouldn't work(I'm sure there's a good reason, I just wanna know, cuz I'm curiuos! hehe.)

Best wishes with this... Hope it works out well!

PS> I WISH someone from Trailgear or something would make a "GM Alternator Swap Mounting/Pivot Bracket" for our rigs... Ya know? I KNOW they would sell... They could probably just buy some other bracket that's close and shave it down, etc., ... ya know what I mean? Gosh I hope so, or I'm just sounding silly! haha.
You know trail gear makes a bracket put an alt in the stock location right?
Old 09-28-2012, 09:08 PM

Ummmm, is that a serious question? Or just a little bit of healthy sarcasm? hahaha. Actually, I read something about a guy on here using something from somewhere else on this.. but it sounded like a "Hey, this fits, use it!" type thing, haha.

TG makes a GM to Toyota Alternator Bracket? Good to know... Thinking more about it, it's such a common mod, I figured SOMEONE had to, lol.

Like I said,...... looking forward to seeing you get it in there and post the results. Not a bad idea, that's for sure.

Quick Reply: 83Toyota88's 1983 Pickup Build-Up Thread