Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Will BFG Macadam tyres cause wondering?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 04:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will BFG Macadam tyres cause wondering?

I have a 1996 3rd Gen Hilux Surf (4Runner). I have had the vehicle for a year now & there is a problem that I just can't seem to get sorted.

When driving on the motorway that have ruts in the tarmac that have been caused by lorries or any road that has pot holes or ruts the vehicle will follow these ruts & I can't keep the vehicle in a straight line, I have to constantly correct the steering.

I have had the ball joints checked & I have had an alignment check done. The place where I had the alignment check said that it was only a fraction out. They did however swap the front with the rear tyres as he said there was some evidence of stepping in the tread, but still no real improvement. He believes that my 265/70R16 BFG Macadam tyres are to blame, he says that there is to much side wall flex & that I should change them for a different type.

Has anyone else had any experience like this? As I would hate to change the tyres & it made no difference.

I thought maybe a BFG AT or General Grabber AT as replacement?

Many Thanks

Regards

Lewis
Old 01-22-2007, 05:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm...

does your steering input match the output? More specifically, have you checked the steering linkage? I have similar issues with my General MTs, but not related to sidewall flex. I have a lot of "slop" between my steering column shaft and the actual steering actuator.

I believe that most tires will follow the path of least resistance. If your steering is sloppy, you corrections would be exaggerated.

Just a thought. The roads here in Michigan are likely in worse shape than yours.

uberhahn
Old 01-22-2007, 05:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I looked up your tyres http://www.bfgoodrich.co.uk/bfguk/fr...ODUCT1&lang=EN
I had what sounds like the same problem with a set of Big O tyres http://www.bigotires.com/TireDetails...&PartNo=006-06 They have big dual grooves. They would throw the 4Runner around on the highway, pretty scarry at times. I finaly bit the bulit and replaced them with my first set of BFG ATs (on my second set) I got 75k miles on the first set. Ride great, quiet, great offroad and in the snow. I did have both sets "siped" http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...reSiping.shtml I should have returned to the tyre store as soon as I relized that it was the tyres that were the problem.

The BFG ATs are one of the best tyres I have ever had.

Last edited by Gerdo; 01-23-2007 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Added reply