Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Who has Toyo Open Country M/Ts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who has Toyo Open Country M/Ts?

Tires in question: Toyo Open Country M/T's

I searched and got some great pics and feedback from Jdizzy here on the board about these tires. I'm primarily looking to go with something different than say... GoodYear or BFG. Subject to change, just doing some research at this point.

I do have a few questions. I went to this so-called tire store (nation-wide) this past weekend and asked if they could get them. He said yes. But he started to steer (no pun intended) me away from them in favor of the Goodyear MT's. He said that Colorado hates the Toyo tires and is really harsh on them and they won't last. Of course, him and his buddies that work there all have Goodyears MT's on their 01-02 4Runners. So, anyone from Colorado or anywhere else that has had a bad exp. with these tires? All I can find on this board are positive stories. I'm thinking they must get a really nice kick-back on GoodYears!

Secondly, they do have the "next" size up from stock but I wanted feedback if these would be too stiff because of the load rating and/or any other dimensions/attributes might make me think otherwise. Tire Size: LT265/75R16 123P E/10

Thoughts, pictures, feedback are all welcomed

BTW, this is for a 2002 SE 4Runner!
Old 04-30-2007, 08:17 PM

i work at les scwhab and have to say thta thye are great tires. Anythign peope lsay about them wearing out fast is bull. They will last for close to 40k on a desiel and ride awesome. That is what they were designed for. A mt that rides super quite has a good life and doesnt cup out. They make the 265 in a 6 ply rating and that is the one you want. 10 is too much. I would highly recomend the toyo. And know of many other peopel thta will as well
Old 04-30-2007, 08:38 PM

im about to get a set. They look damn good. Can't say much about them other than that. i don't want to repeat what i have heard, as it isn't my experience. But i have hard some good things
Old 04-30-2007, 08:45 PM

Thanks fellas for the feedback. Good stuff! And thanks for telling about the 6ly, I will check into that. I'm assuming 6ply is still rugged-enough for Colorado back-country 4wheelin?
Old 04-30-2007, 09:33 PM

i'd suggest mickey thompson baja claws. or procomp xterrains.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:40 PM

mickey baja MTZ cheaper and great!
Old 04-30-2007, 09:48 PM

i wouldnt suggest the baja claw or the mtz i seen many sets of claws cup out very badly and they wear extremly fast because of the soft rubber. YA the 6 ply is perfect for a toyota wheeler. id recomend the mt over the claw or mtz anyday it will ride better and last longer. After balancing many sets it is crazy how good of quality the mts are. Most of the time any other brand of mt will take 4 or more ounces of weight per side but i have seenmany toyos that needed les than an ounce on each side.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:13 AM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by neilan
i work at les scwhab and have to say thta thye are great tires. Anythign peope lsay about them wearing out fast is bull. They will last for close to 40k on a desiel and ride awesome. That is what they were designed for. A mt that rides super quite has a good life and doesnt cup out. They make the 265 in a 6 ply rating and that is the one you want. 10 is too much. I would highly recomend the toyo. And know of many other peopel thta will as well
Coming from someone who has 2 sets and everyone around them with full size pick-ups rollin with the heavy duty construction gear swears on them...I definately recommend them, especially since that was their design. NICE EVEN WEAR, SUPER QUITE(BARELY NOTICE)..actually nice hum on the 33's AND DON'T CUP OUT(my main reason for purchasing) Outstanding tire!!!!!!. The 6ply would be nice, but my personal friends at Schwab recommended the 10 ply to me..yeah maybe stiff for load rating, but we are talking about putting them on a Runner not some HEMI or diesel...but isn't that why we air down?? Anyway, as for Colorado..maybe it is just a region preference, cus where I'm from it's usually BFG or TOyO.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:07 AM
Banned

I was going to get some toyos but they do cost a bit much

as soon as I SAS and widen my 5 stars ill run some 37s in the toyos
Old 05-01-2007, 12:20 PM

I've always liked the design on these but my toyo at's only had good tread for maybe 25,000 miles so I was kind of worried about them. Everyone I know around here has always told me the BFG MT's have had good life for them for 40,000 plus miles. I just haven't heard enough on the toyos to justify buying them.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by desertyota
...BFG MT's have had good life for them for 40,000 plus miles....
Out of curiousity, how do the BFG MT's handle winter driving conditions?
Old 05-01-2007, 12:31 PM

Can't pledge the at's as I've never had them..the MT's just had the look and reputation around here I was lookin for. The BFG MT's are like $20 difference at WAL-MArt around here so I actually wanted to try somethin different since I do own a set of BFG AT's. I got my wheels at Schwab so I stuck with their tire warranty and customer service. IMO they suit my RUNNER and my driving conditions as well as the look I was going for.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by olsy1984
Out of curiousity, how do the BFG MT's handle winter driving conditions?
From driving on a couple pairs of them not great. If there is deep snow they do fine but on hard pack and ice they aren't great. There is a lot of open voids on them and not much siping. Thats one of the reason I'm interested in the toyos. More siping. I've never owned the BFG muds but have driven on a few pairs of them.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:03 AM

I have a set of the same Toyo's you are looking for. I have about 5K miles on them and so far they have been great. They hook up pretty good in the dirt for an AT, plus they balanced up perfectly. What I found when I was looking for replacement tires is that the Toyo's were quite a bit lighter than the other tires I looked at.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:26 PM

no, you have the AT's. He is looking at the toyo open country M/T's

Same brand but muds instead of all terrains

My friend has those ATs and loves them. IM gonna try to give the m/t's a shot and see how they work out
Old 05-02-2007, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by desertyota
From driving on a couple pairs of them not great. If there is deep snow they do fine but on hard pack and ice they aren't great. There is a lot of open voids on them and not much siping. Thats one of the reason I'm interested in the toyos. More siping. I've never owned the BFG muds but have driven on a few pairs of them.
ya that's what i've heard, the lack of siping is no good...damn i love those tires!!!
Old 05-07-2007, 09:21 AM

Did you ever get these? Impressions so far?
Old 05-07-2007, 11:20 AM

No, not yet. I just bought my 2002 4Runner and doing alot of other stuff first. But I'm planning on doing tires and suspension at once. It might be another month or so before I have them.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:29 AM

Nice. I just bought my 02 SE, too. I'm planning on Stubb's sliders first, then lift & tires. I think the first order of business is a tint, though. It gets hot here. Oh, and the VSA switch will be going in this week, along with the diff. breather.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:47 AM

Still love em'

Quick Reply: Who has Toyo Open Country M/Ts?