Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Toyo Open Country M/T

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 09:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yokohama Geolander AT + II's are also very inexpensive. So you know they can't be any good.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
But, DON'T buy them. You WILL NOT be cool on the internet and the sidewall does not have a designer pattern, it's just plain smooth rubber. Very Internet Un-Cool.

Old 10-21-2004, 11:01 PM

Yokohama Geolander AT + II's are also very inexpensive. So you know they can't be any good.
Steve-
Hey, I hope I am sensing your sarcasm correctly here. I have run two different sets of the at+II's and was extremely impressed...probably one of the best if not the best all around tire I have ever seen and experienced. As you stated, their m/t is very nice as well, but if you can get the great performance from an a/t tire like the yoko's, there is no reason to jump on the m/t. Anyway, hope I am reading ya right here, cause I would stand behind those tires in a heartbeat.

Billy
Old 10-22-2004, 05:11 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fourunnabilly
I would stand behind those tires in a heartbeat.

Billy
So would I, In the last year I have bought 3 sets myself and suggested them to pretty much everyone.

Chesse won't buy them though, he likes to be "cool on the Internet" and suffer on the trail. Well in all fairness, they don't make a 37x12.5x15 for him.

Yes I really like the Yokohamas.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C'mon Steve. I have defended your tires before and I am not bashing them now.

Steve's tires have and do work where he wheels most of the time. Oddly when you got stuck in CO, it was MT/R's, but they were the shiny 32's.

Your truck is refined and civil. My truck is a little rough. I may get some AT's, but we shall see.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
C'mon Steve. I have defended your tires before and I am not bashing them now.
I just see you as an MT/R Swamper kinda guy. Not knocking you, that's just the Cheese.

Hmmmm, Maybe some Nitto Terra Grapplers? Seriously, YokoHomo's don't come in 35x12.5x15 or 37x12.5x15. The biggest Y-Homo is the 315/75/16.

Now this is a Yokohama I can see the Cheese with. It only comes in 35" but a 35 is plenty for a truck with sheet metal.

Come on YokoCheese.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:25 AM

Old 10-22-2004, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steve now appears to have some weird obsession with cheese...
Old 10-22-2004, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Churnd
Steve now appears to have some weird obsession with cheese...
Cheeeeeeeeeeeese

Old 10-22-2004, 10:07 AM

LOL!!!!!
Yes.

Originally Posted by jacksonpt
Old 10-23-2004, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo_Risin
Yoter - can you elaborate on this? Are you talking the sidewall or the lugs, etc? There is a lot of talus/sharp rock trails in Colorado and I don't wont a tire that's not very puncture proof. That's one reaon I liked the MTR's so much - they seem really durable. (I've also never had vibration porblems with my MTR's)

John
From my experience at 10psi climbing slab rock I dealt with chunking on all tires that climbed over the rock. I am missing tread the size of the head of my 4runner key. Other areas are still there but flapped. Dont get me wrong I love the tires.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

Yokohama, been to the Hammers and ran Aftershock. Been to Moab and through Pritchett, Up widow maker, Up Rock Chucker, Up Hells gate (Me & Pete with Yoko) Up Lions Back, Through the Golden Crack (4Runner and FJ-62) Through Martinez Canyon, Through Upper Woodpecker, Through De Soto Mine (MT/R's got a flat on that one) Up Yellow Belly Ledge.

What more does it take? AT + II not the Mud Tire. There is a new Yokohama that is very agressive, but I don't need it. These do great, ride on the road flawless and last a long time.

But, DON'T buy them. You WILL NOT be cool on the internet and the sidewall does not have a designer pattern, it's just plain smooth rubber. Very Internet Un-Cool.
See, the problem with all the places you wheel, is that they are all dry rock. Im not knocking you or your tire preference, im just pointing out that different tires work in different places. Ill probobally buy a set of those when i build a mild prerunner, just because of how well they seem to work for you and others out west.

Here in the midwest, AT's dont work worth a darn. Theres a reason i run TSL's, here you can hit a rock garden, mud bog, a sand dune, and a long muddy ravine, all on one trail. I will NEVER run MTR's, i have seen how poorly they work in mud, and most of them seem to be more out of round than a swamper. Tread life seems to be about the same, and they cost more than a TSL. Ill keep my TSL's. They work fine for a DD, minus the vibration. Then again mine are balanced with golf balls

As for the Yoko MT's, they really dont seem to work as well as they seem like they would. They dont like to clean out, but do work well on the rocks. The set i saw in action worked well on the rocks and decent in the sand, but poor in the mud. Didnt take much to balance either, they come from the mold round.

The Toyo's look like a decent tire, but i have not yet seen them in action, so i cant really coment on them, other than they look like they would work well.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by joez
See, the problem with all the places you wheel, is that they are all dry rock.
Yes, Typically a Desert is dry. Hence the fact that they call it a Desert.

I have no clue how Yoko's will work in mud. We don't have mud. We just don't.

FWIW, I know a bunch of the Pirate guys run 38+ swampers, but all the Tacoma people that buy the 33" etc sizes, they totaly suck in the Desert. All the do with all those plys is dig holes. Even aired down the smaller sized act like they are fully aired up.

You have to pick the correct tires for your terrain.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:21 PM

Well, try to remember that wheeling is a little different on the East Coast. Things tend to get a little sloppy and it is not all that nice clean sand and rocks. Steve you remember about that don't you? That time you got stuck trying to wheel into the campsite???

Gadget
Old 10-24-2004, 09:43 PM

What did you end up getting Gadget?
Old 10-24-2004, 09:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Gadget
Well, try to remember that wheeling is a little different on the East Coast. Things tend to get a little sloppy and it is not all that nice clean sand and rocks. Steve you remember about that don't you? That time you got stuck trying to wheel into the campsite???

Gadget
Yes I do in the 2wd rental Ford thing. You will have to re-analize the Yokohamas for back there. It is different and what works out west will not be the same back there. Slickrock is slick, but it's not like wet rock or moss rock. Which is what makes it so hard, there are no Slickrock tires. So even we don't have everything.

Analize your terrain and make the best call. What is "cool" on the internet is not necessarily the best. You know, you'll pick a good one.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:45 PM

I have not gotten anything yet.

I am going to try to hold out until the Toyos are out and then do there 500 mile test drive and see how they do.

Gadget
Old 10-24-2004, 09:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Gadget
I have not gotten anything yet.

I am going to try to hold out until the Toyos are out and then do there 500 mile test drive and see how they do.

Gadget
I bet they will work well. Most Japaneese tires seem to.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:55 PM

I've been hearing good things about the Nitto Terragrapplers. I think I'll get those when my tires wear out.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:58 PM

Well, as long as they are round it will be a step up from what I have now. I am more then willing to give up some traction for less agrivation.

Gadget

Quick Reply: Toyo Open Country M/T