Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Nitto Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 05:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nitto Tires

Anybody know anything about the "Nitto Terra Grappler"? I talked to a guy as Discount Tire today and he stated these tires are easier to balance than Michelin tires.

I am thinking of getting some MT Classic Lock wheels with these tires mounted on them. The MT Classic Lock wheels have a center piece that will allow them to be balanced by the hub, instead of the lugs. I have found that when a Discount technician is asked to mount a flange adapter, they become somwhat disgruntal, and end up doing a crappy job. Today, I drove home from ABQ to Santa FE with serious vibrations at 60mph.
Old 10-21-2003, 05:46 PM

how bout the Nitto mud grappler. I just saw an add in 4wheel &offroad. They looked kinda cool. It says they come out this winter.
Old 10-21-2003, 05:49 PM
WT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Nitto Tires

Originally posted by SteveO
Anybody know anything about the "Nitto Terra Grappler"? I talked to a guy as Discount Tire today and he stated these tires are easier to balance than Michelin tires.

I am thinking of getting some MT Classic Lock wheels with these tires mounted on them. The MT Classic Lock wheels have a center piece that will allow them to be balanced by the hub, instead of the lugs. I have found that when a Discount technician is asked to mount a flange adapter, they become somwhat disgruntal, and end up doing a crappy job. Today, I drove home from ABQ to Santa FE with serious vibrations at 60mph.
Yeah I got them and if you do a search you will find someone just asked a few weeks back the same question and he had a few responses there too.
Old 10-21-2003, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

I have a set of BFG MT tires, and they are pretty rough. They just can't be balanced. Every place I have gone to either has incompatent tire techs or they just don't care about thier work. I'm looking for some AT tires that can be balanced and give a quite ride on the highway.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member

So, you come down to Alb and you don't even call to say hello?

I see how you are So how's the job hunt, Hunt?

And, I am still interested in those wheels and tires
Old 10-21-2003, 06:32 PM

Those should be good tires since they are marketed for bigger rims and such. Smooth street tires for tow rigs.

I will sing the praises of the Revos. My folks have them on the Sequoia. They are smooth, quiet and the road force on all 4 was less than my best MT/R by a long shot.

You didn't hear it from me, but they are like glass up to 100. Can't say that about my MT/R's, mostly since I don't think I can hit 100 any more.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

Sorry Jim,

I will be back in town Friday. I have an appt with the VET concerning Desert Storm.

After extensive reviews, I think I'll be going with the Bridgestone Revos. They are really high on the charts.

As for those tires & Wheels, I sent you a PM.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:27 AM
Banned

I've got a set in LT265/75-16. I put them on about a week or so ago and they are AWESOME. I had my choice of pretty much any A/T or M/T, and I had pretty much made up my mind on Dueler Revos until I saw these. They have a much more agressive tread pattern than the revos - almost a hybrid between a M/T and an A/T, which is exactly what I wanted.

Last weekend, I went playing around and they did incredibly well for an A/T in Sand, Mud, and even steep inclines on tall wet grass - some of the slickest stuff around. I had my truck in 4HI and never even needed 4LO. I didn't get into any nasty stuff, but the treads cleaned very well in the mud and kept great traction in the deep sand.

On the highway, I went from Michelin LTX's to these, and there's a touch more road noise, but the ride is actually BETTER due to the stiffer sidewalls of the LT rating. Cornering is MUCH improved and they ride like glass at highway speeds. I've noticed about a 0.5 mpg drop fromt he Michelins, but I'd say it's WELL WORTH the tradeoffs.

Advertisement Pic...

Truck with the Terra Grapplers Installed...

Clearance at the Rear...

Clearance at the Front...