Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

New tires for my '00 Sr5 2WD?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New tires for my '00 Sr5 2WD?

Have been trying to get another 3-5K miles out of my current tires since funds are kinda tight. Came out of work last week and back driver side tires was flat. My have ran over a nail etc. Tire place said they won't try to fix b/c they see two possible nails.
I've been riding around for the last week with the fill side (never used) spare.

Wanted to get some thoughts from others.
I rarely take the 4Runner off road. Mainly use for usual daily driving etc.
I currently have 265 70R 16s on it. This size has been fine with me.
When I got the 4Runner about 2.5 years ago it had pretty new tires on it. They are Uniroyal Laredos AWTs. I have got 55K miles out of these which I think is pretty good.

The fill size spare is a Goodyear Wrangler RT/S.

The guy at the local tire place showed me some Firestone's for about $160/tire out the door. I was hoping to spend less but have never replaced tires before on the 4Runner.

TireRack is saying stock size tire is 225/70/15s!!?? Those seem like they would be tiny compared to the ones I have now! That can't be right...my spare is the same size as all the others.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by stangman39; 09-08-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bump to the top for the newer guy

Some Runners came with the 15" wheels and tires. The previous owner may have stepped up to the 16s.

We are probably not the best crowd to ask about 'street" tires. Most of us will try to push you into an All Terrain. or a mud terrain.... he he heeee

If you want a more comfortable street ride I suggest you stick with P metric size of 265/70/16. If you want more solid construction and occasional off road use then consider a LT (light truck) designated tire.

You should be able to find a fine tire in the $105-130 range to suit your needs.

A lot of us run the Nitto Terra Grapplers-mine were $121 each about a year and a half ago. D load range.

Firestone Destination A/T's are also a fine tire-but probably more money and more tire than you really need. Goodyear Wranglers are a perfectly fine choice also-I have never cared for how they wear but I am just one opinion.

Some people love the Bridgestone Dueler series tires-others hate em.

The possibilities are endless. I recommend Discount Tire-where the heck are you stangman? They fix flats for free-even if you did not buy the tires there.

Talk about a nice way to get you in the door....while there be armed with your online research and prices and they should match any price.

Let us know how this pans out for ya.

Show em off once you got em. Would be interested in your Stang pictures also.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Ron,

Thanks for the reply!

After reading a bunch of posts I think I've narrowed it down to 3! Really depends on which is probably cheaper and which ones may last the longest treat wise.
I do have to say the Uniroyal Laredo AWTs that are on there now have seemed to last well for me...almost 55K miles. Don't know if I can get them tho anymore in the 265/70/16 size.

The General Grabber AT2s sound good.
The Kumho Raod Venture ATs also
and the Firestone Destinations like you mentioned.
I like the looks of the Goodyears...but if they don't wear well I'm gonna stay away.

I'm in Roswell, GA btw.

Regarding the Stang. I sold my last one about a year ago. It was a '67 GT Fastback, tweaked 289, was an auto we converted to a late model 5spd.
I had it pictured with a bikini model for a Mustang calender it was in for 2007. PM me your email addy and I can email you some pics.

Mike
Old 10-15-2008, 10:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
glad to help

Just sent PM with email address.

Uniroyal makes fine tires too, and those Kumhos get good reviews from what I have seen.