Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

BFG rubber

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BFG rubber

I am looking to get some new shod for my taco. Just after the recent rain, mud, and rock mix ate my tire! there huge chunck of tire missing. I have done some searching and it seams like there is a 50-50 pick between the bfg all terrain ko vs the bfg mud terrain.

there isnt that much of a difference in price. I am aiming for 265-75-16. I do head to the mountains for boarding so snow campatability is a must. I also do some mild muddin, when its around. and want to start going through trails and what not.

Its a 04 4x4 trd taco. stock everything so far. If i can get a larger tire please give some numbers

throw in yor 2 cents if i get enough I will have a dollar

thanks

Last edited by ssrmr2turbo; 01-04-2005 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:40 PM

i have the mud terrains on my 98 taco, there 32x12.5's. for a offroad aggressive tire i rate them fairly high i guess, All rubber cuts easy when wet so you have to kinda watch it, my m/t's are almost shot after about 25k, alot of that was cause of the mud, they handle good on the road i think, but the only other tires i have had on this truck would be my wild country trx(??) i didnt like them one bit, they wore fast, and i didnt think they did as good in the snow and offroad. ive never really tested the a/t bfg, but i think both would be a quality tire, you just have to ask yourself what you plan on doing with the rig, if its onroad 99% of the time, get the at. if not get the mt,

thats my contribution to you dollar fund.

wade
Old 01-04-2005, 10:36 PM
Banned

personally love bfgs i have had quite a few sets... however honestly they suck in the rain..... off road though they were very good to me...
Old 01-05-2005, 07:51 AM

yeah, on the street in the rain they are serisouly horrible tires.

forgot to add that.

wade
Old 01-05-2005, 07:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah BFG's are a great way to go. Like everyone says they suck when it rains, or at least my AT's seem to. I am not too sure about the MT's but if you don't do too much 'wheeling I would go for the AT's. Every mud tires I've had were loud on the highway. Just consider those points when deciding.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:48 AM

thanks for the input guys. I will see if Sam' club can get the AT's for a decent price.

The Mud Terrains @ sams club listed at 165 ea for 265-75-16

cheers
Old 01-05-2005, 12:47 PM

I have the At's right now and am looking for a new tire cause they suck on the wet roads (like others said) and I live in Washington where it rains all year so I need something that doesn't hydroplane as much.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:52 PM
Contributing Member

Talking

I also have the BFG A/T KOs.. but I think they're pretty good in the rain. The last month or so I've been in the san francisco area where it poured for almost all of december, and the tires performed beautifully... hardly any slippage, and no noticeable wear.. way better than my last set of tires where the rear of my pickup skid all over the place.

also, i've noticed that the a/t ko's hardly hydroplane (if at all) on my rig.. guess i got the good set or something.

-Russell

Last edited by boogyman; 01-05-2005 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by boogyman
also, i've noticed that the a/t ko's hardly hydroplane (if at all) on my rig.. guess i got the good set or something.

-Russell
When I went to the tire places to look into new tires almost every place but one was surprised to hear of my hatered for my tires in the wet weather. Until I had seen this thread with more people agreeing that they weren't great in the wet weather I just thought I had a bad set cause most of the tire companies highly reccomended them.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:03 PM

good to hear some input on these tires. I am looking for new shoes and BFG AT is moving further down or off the list.
What do people recommend for allround rain/snow/dirtroads (besides revos), I only occassionally go really offroad.

Last edited by Roadtripr; 01-05-2005 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:11 PM

The ones I've been steered towards are the goodyear At's
Old 01-05-2005, 02:54 PM
Contributing Member

Bridgestone dueler revo's....Rate better all the way around than the BF Goodies check em out at www.tirerack.com. I like the way the BFG's look though...tread pattern looks cool and everybody knows exactly what they are when they see the tracks.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you are comparing the right two tires. Like others said - AT if alot of highway and MT if more of an off-road mix. That being said:

I had two sets of BFG AT's (32's) that ran their entire life (45K per set) on my 4Runner. Now I have a set of BFG MT's on there (33's) that have probably about 13K on them. I think they will last about the same or maybe longer than the AT's. It is a big difference in ride quality on the pavement (AT=good) and a big difference in performance off road (Muds=good)

I now have BFG AT's on my JGC (31's). I jjust got back from a 1000 mile + round trip up to Boston and Maine. The tires were great. The drive home from Maine was in a hard rain for about 8 hours. The AT's never slipped or hydro'd once. Actually, none of my AT's have been bad in the wet.

I have noticed my Mud's a little slippey in the wet. They might get siped at some point.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:17 PM

See I like the BFG pattern but not if it means loss of traction. Did any of you try the revos and if so how hard do the ride and how what mpg loss if any did you see. Any other good tirerecommendations are welcome (michelin LTX M/S etc)

Last edited by Roadtripr; 01-05-2005 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tweeker4X4
Bridgestone dueler revo's....Rate better all the way around than the BF Goodies check em out at www.tirerack.com. I like the way the BFG's look though...tread pattern looks cool and everybody knows exactly what they are when they see the tracks.
I second that REVO's are great so far I had them for just a few months now. They hook up great in the rain and off road.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:09 PM

did you lose any milage/mpg with the Revo. How do they ride I already have a Bilsteins and I am not looking for a harder ride.
THX
Old 01-05-2005, 06:16 PM

Nice there is a good conversation on the tires and reviews. I just bought the At KO's tonight from samsclub. aka walmart. they were actually cheaper there than tire rack's!!!!!

I will have them installed tomorrow after work and then 1.5 hour drive to san diego for the weekend. Its suppose to rain the in the SGV area and SD this week. I will give my feedback. Also I got the AT KO's since I do go to the mountains and snow alot!

Thanks guys

-Steve
-'04 4x4 trd taco
Old 01-05-2005, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

If you don't need anything super aggressive the Revo's would be great for you, if you are looking for something more aggressive than I would highly recommend going with the BFG Mudders...I love mine, after about 10k they are showing no tire wear, kind of expected but they have held up fine. The only thing to stop me was a sawed off rail-road tie cut off and sharpened to a point that somebody used as a tent stake at one of the off-road places around here. The park paid for the replacement and they have all been fine since!

Fink
Old 01-06-2005, 12:34 AM
Contributing Member

Toyo Open Country AT.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:46 AM
Banned

i liek the bfgs.. i had them on my truck until recently..... they are good and soft for the pavement and offroad...... bot hte ats and the mts... however all of the ones i have had sucked in rain... they jsut dont have the siping needed for it.....

Quick Reply: BFG rubber