Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

Mr. Heater Portable Buddy 9,000 BTU Propane Radiant Heater

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:48 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Mr. Heater Portable Buddy 9,000 BTU Propane Radiant Heater

Anyone own one of these?
I have been reading up on them over on Mud's camping section, and they seem to be safe for a tent, as they shut off if it detects low oxygen.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...=nosim/ihco-20

http://www.mrheater.com/productdetai...catid=41&id=24

Old 03-24-2008, 01:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have one and used it last year to heat the bath room in the house I was living in I had no heat but a wood stove and it kind of helped cut the cold a little

I would run it for 10-15 min at a time and a tank of gas would not last long maybe 3 times.

pep boys had a sale going for some time, after the mail in rebate they cost only 20$ or 25$

there is a adapter so you can hook it up to a larger tank but they run almost 40$

the price I got mine for was good free it came with the house and it has set on the shelf since last winter I could see it being a good thing for camping but I would rather put the 59$ towards a better sleeping bag.

I do keep it for emergency's in the winter I can put it under a sink to stop it from freezing if I needed to.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:48 AM

I have one too, and it's is awesome. It's nice to change clothes in a toasty warm tent. I was going to add that to your camping thread but forgot all about it. It's a must have for my wife and daughter for winter or early spring camping. I warm up the tent and, let them fall asleep and then I shut it off. It is supposed to shut itself off when O2 falls to low, but I still don't like to risk it. I have forgotten a couple of times and it did shut itself down.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:16 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks for the input guy's.
Here is more info from Mud.

It is a good idea to use a filter if hooking it up to a bigger bottle.

I use to use a Coleman one in my last tent trailer I had when the kid's were much younger.
I would only turn it on in the cool mornings to heat it up in there to shave and to get dressed.

It was not the safe type that you can let run all night.
We always had warm sleeping bags and longjohns for cooler nights, but getting out of the bed in the mornings could be quite cool sometimes.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those are great for heating 3-5 man tents.
They have a very sensitive safety that shuts down
the heater at the first sign of it tipping over. We usually
crack the fly ever so slightly, but I've never smelled
propane in the tent. Another cool thing is that nothing on
the surface of the heater ever gets hot so you don't have
to worry about burning yourself. I highly recommend
these heaters for cold weather camping. We used ours
with two people in a 3 man tent in 25 degree weather
and slept in our underwear... it gets toasty
Old 03-24-2008, 05:45 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks, I may get one then.
I was worried about it tipping over after I turn it off and being hot enough to burn a down comforter of nylon sleeping bag, but if it does not get hot enough to burn, then that is a plus.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We have 3. One is currently being used in the hall way to take the chill off. I like em from about October to late April, since the house will cool down to about 65 maybe 63 if it's not lit, and with it on LOW, it stays a pretty consistant 68-69. It REALLY helps out on those especially cold days and nights.

Be sure to keep your receipts, because we've owned quite a few of these things, and some of them, for some reason, just quit. So you return that one, and get another that you will never have a problem with. I'm just telling you this, so you don't freeze if one quits on ya. It will likely fail within a couple months of use, if not, then you got a good one.

That being said, these are GREAT little heaters, and I HIGHLY recommend them. They work great outside, too.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:36 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

I know this has been out here a while but I thought I would put in my 2 cents.

I have used this heater for the past three years and it is a life saver. Everything that has been mentioned is true. These heaters are the best I have found. I have used it in 25 degree weather in a 12x12 two room tent and stayed very comfortable. One bottle will last all night on low which is great for sleeping. On high it will roast you out. The larger model uses 2 bottles and has a battery blower. I don't think it is needed. I have used it in the garage, at out door events and the safety feature are great. It shuts off if it tips, or if the wind outside blows the flame out the gas stops flowing. In the tent I have never smelled any fumes or woke with a headache like I did with the Coleman catalyst heater. For the money this is the only choice in my opinion. Cabelas has these on sale from time to time and you can get one as low as $59.00 like I did. Just wanted to share my thoughts.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by strap22
In the tent I have never smelled any fumes or woke with a headache like I did with the Coleman catalyst heater.
You are lucky you woke up.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:50 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by stormin94
You are lucky you woke up.
They both are designed to use inside tents however the the catalyst heater does need vented in my opinion. Mr. Heater burns very clean and I would recommend it to anyone. I am not sure what your comment means but if you know something that needs more discussion please post up. I only shared my opinion about the heaters and would like to hear others.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:56 PM
Contributing Member

They both are designed to use inside tents however the the catalyst heater does need vented in my opinion. Mr. Heater burns very clean and I would recommend it to anyone. I am not sure what your comment means but if you know something that needs more discussion please post up. I only shared my opinion about the heaters and would like to hear others.
Well, its nothing bad about you, but headache is a sign of mild carbon monoxide poisoning. Far too many times, people simply sleep through that, and don't wake up from the carbon monoxide. They are great little heaters, and I would use either one, but I'd be real careful about falling asleep in a small space like a tent with one of those going. The point about the "you are lucky you woke up" comment was that sometimes people aren't so lucky, and don't wake up from carbon monoxide poisoning, and if you have a headache, and you were sleeping with one of those in the tent, it's a fairly safe assumption that there was too much carbon monoxide present, which will usually cause a headache at first, or if you are sleeping and don't notice the earlier less serious signs, there could be trouble.

Bottom line here, is they are truely great heaters, I have one going in my hallway right now, and it saves hundreds on the powerbill since my heater doesn't come on unless it's really cold outside. They also work well when camping.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:38 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

My first thought is what are you doing up at 3:00 am....I thought I was the only one that gets up this early. The point I guess I was making is the Catalyst heater didn't seem to burn as clean and the fumes really need to be vented more than the Mr. Heater one. This of course is my opinion based on using both. I would recommend with either one you have some way for the fumes to vent. I think we can both agree they are good heaters and having some fresh air source while using them in a confined space should be done with caution. Of course you can always use the old fashion
Old 04-22-2008, 12:48 AM
Contributing Member

Well, it's only like 1:30 over here, but your point is still valid. They are great little heaters, but if you are burning anything, you should always have ventalation available. This winter seems to have my Mr. Heater working overtime....

And by winter, in California, I mean the cool and potentially rainy season...just like tomorrow's forcast of 58* and low of 42* and a 40% chance of showers.... winter time still.... cool and potentially rainy. I think Mr. Heater should have a first name, since we are quite well aquainted by now, and I think an informal greeting isn't out of the question. In fact, I'm pretty sure that "Mr. Heater" would like to be greeted as "Bob", or something along those lines. Since he is my "Buddy" as advertised.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:26 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I am trying to figure out why you guy's are up too

I get up at 1 am PST to start getting ready for the work day, and work on here for awhile.

The carbon monoxide thing, way back when I had my first tent trailer and was married, we borrowed one of those Colman cat ones when camping in the snow.

We had the tents windows open for fresh air, but we got headaches, and a very bad taste in our mouths.

It is lucky I did wake up and shut the thing off, or I fear we would have all perished that night.

We had our oldest son at the time, the youngest was not born yet.
I would say my oldest son was about two of three at the time.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:30 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by stormin94
Well, it's only like 1:30 over here, but your point is still valid. They are great little heaters, but if you are burning anything, you should always have ventalation available. This winter seems to have my Mr. Heater working overtime....

And by winter, in California, I mean the cool and potentially rainy season...just like tomorrow's forcast of 58* and low of 42* and a 40% chance of showers.... winter time still.... cool and potentially rainy. I think Mr. Heater should have a first name, since we are quite well aquainted by now, and I think an informal greeting isn't out of the question. In fact, I'm pretty sure that "Mr. Heater" would like to be greeted as "Bob", or something along those lines. Since he is my "Buddy" as advertised.
It's 74 degrees here but will drop a little more before the sun comes up. Suppose to rain today too. I din't care because tomorrow the wife and I are headed to Cancun for a few days of R & R compliments of Toyota.

I hope you and "Bob" .....your "Buddy" stay warm....
Old 04-22-2008, 01:32 AM
Contributing Member

It's 74 degrees here but will drop a little more before the sun comes up. Suppose to rain today too. I din't care because tomorrow the wife and I are headed to Cancun for a few days of R & R compliments of Toyota.

I hope you and "Bob" .....your "Buddy" stay warm....
According to the weatherman, I only have to use "Bob" for a few more nights, then the Cancun like warmth, minus the humidity will come to me.

Have fun.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:34 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by Corey
I am trying to figure out why you guy's are up too

I get up at 1 am PST to start getting ready for the work day, and work on here for awhile.

The carbon monoxide thing, way back when I had my first tent trailer and was married, we borrowed one of those Colman cat ones when camping in the snow.

We had the tents windows open for fresh air, but we got headaches, and a very bad taste in our mouths.

It is lucky I did wake up and shut the thing off, or I fear we would have all perished that night.

We had our oldest son at the time, the youngest was not born yet.
I would say my oldest son was about two of three at the time.
Good Morning Corey.....That is what I am talking about with the Coleman one. Mr. Heater "Bob" seems to be a much better unit that burns cleaner and no fumes to speak of.

I get up at 3:00am everyday so I can have a few hours to catchup on the forums and have a slow start. I don't go in to work until 7:30am.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:10 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I may pick one of these up for my home to try out then in the living room.
I do not need to heat my bedroom, as I have a new down comforter (actually for the new tent) with 35 oz. of goose down in it, and it is toasty.
Moving it to the tent though when we get better weather.

Going to pick up a comforter just like it for my bedroom, but will get the queen size.
It is a twin on there now, the size needed for the tent.

Have fun in Cancun Phil.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Corey
Anyone own one of these?
I have been reading up on them over on Mud's camping section, and they seem to be safe for a tent, as they shut off if it detects low oxygen.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...=nosim/ihco-20

http://www.mrheater.com/productdetai...catid=41&id=24

My wife and I have been looking to buy one.