Diesel Swaps Diesel engines

88 4Runner 1kd-ftv swap (NEW) w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 06:44 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
DANGIT, .... I always get all anxious to see 'DID HE FIND ONE???? ' Hehehe...

I know, I know, lol.... it's not a hurry... I'm just excited to see you with that, ROLLIN, man! REALLY will be so stoked for you the day that hits your door to begin it's journey into your Rig.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:46 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
BTW, YESSSSSSS, ....that FJ is sick! And that must be Todd up there that runs/works at/owns Diesel Yota? got it! lol.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Dieselyota
Jarco has not imported these since 2008 due to EPA importation regulations so we have had to become our own importers. Here's an FJcruiser D-4D we're finishing up.
You guys do some fantastic stuff. Everything looks factory, which is what I like. This puts some ideas into my head for a later date...
Old 09-27-2012, 07:20 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Actually I have got a few sources to go thru for the halfcut I just need to pull the trigger. I have waited a bit longer because a friend has a container coming from the UK. So I have focussed on that area so I can see if I can save a few bucks.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you everyone for your comments. I had emailed the mods regarding posting up pictures of the FJ and never heard anything back so I took a chance with it. Since May of 2008 as part of the Clean Air Act, the EPA has required US Customs to have EPA conformity certificate for ALL engines (both on-highway and off-road) imported into the USA. If you do not have this certificate, they'll 100% deny entry and "re-export" your engine. Diesels specifically are further scrutinized as they are red-flags for most Customs inspectors. Back in 2008, Jarco had a complete container full re-exported as they had a bunch of diesels in a container that Customs didn't like. We just had a container a few months ago that had to be re-exported due to some fruit or rats etc. found on the container during X-ray. People often see our conversions and gawk at the price, but when they actually find someone to sell them all the stuff they need to do the conversion, they realize that to get the parts required to do the conversion, they'll spend $12k+ shipping. RBX, PM me as I have some information regarding a really expensive pitfall that you need to consider even when buying a half cut.

Here's a 2006 Prerunner D-4D we have on Youtube:

Old 10-01-2012, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Dieselyota
Jarco has not imported these since 2008 due to EPA importation regulations so we have had to become our own importers. Here's an FJcruiser D-4D we're finishing up.
Sweet looking FJ that d4d looks like it belongs there.

Originally Posted by RBX
Todd, that will have the nz and oz guys drooling, iirc they get the fj cruiser with a gasser only.
I tried Jarco first to find out they don't import anymore, their name is plastered all over the net for halfcuts. Of course much older posts, but man they must have been selling a ton.

Can you weigh in on why the diesels are forbidden by the EPA, but why some companies can still import them? I've heard it was pressure from the big 3 automakers to keep better diesels out of NA.

Are you going to graphed a hilux or landcruiser scoop?
I spoke to a dealer about this issue last week and the rumour that we were going to finally get a diesel next yr.

There will be no diesels until Toyota starts to make a 1 ton truck [no plans to do that]. All toyota trucks are 3/4 ton and as such their emissions ratings are counted against the whole fleet when calculating the corp. averages, and the diesels are too high in particulate emissions.
Why they don't just add a DEF injection system like MB's "bluetec" I don't know, maybe it would not make enough difference.
Americans will not buy a truck they think is not "made in america" so Toyota will not be making a 1 ton+ [F350 type] truck because folks think they are made overseas. That class of vehicle is not included in the automaker's automobile fleet average calculations.
Never mind that Toyotas are the only trucks still made in the USA the big 3 all build their trucks in Mexico.[so much for made in america]

That's not to say the modern diesels are illegal from an EPA standpoint [as far as I know] Toyota just does'nt want to loose their "most green" ratings.

Sadly it appears the only way we will ever get one is to import it ourselves. But check the facts before you do spend the $.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:58 AM
RBX

After a few days of email exchanges with Todd from DieselToys, I have decided to go with a 1KZ instead of the 1KD-FTV D4D. There are quite a few hurdles and they will all cost $$$, not to mention the unforeseen costs found in every swap/conversion.
I know as soon as i say i just ordered a 1KZ-TE, Toyota will announce the the new model range to include the D4Ds..... i just know it.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:53 AM

I got a kick out of this article...

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2012...diesel-trucks/

Really highlights how ridiculous CARB and the EPA have become.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:14 AM
RBX

Since '94! I'm so happy that research grants are going to study the particulate matter from flame broiling burgers for the past 9years.
Albeit, a funny comparison, and if you can make a living grilling burgers in the name of science, go for it.
I wonder how many diesel engines in the US compared to flame broiled burger joints? Maybe the local burger shop aught to go thru emissions testing also.

CARB, what a joke, I have a spilled more gas on the ground using those awful mandated cans.

EPA, I called them a few weeks ago about importing a used engine....I'll just say that i need to go through a registered importer that has the experience to deal with the paperwork.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:40 PM
RBX

Power point of the Toyota D4D KD engines. Really cool.
http://www.manualov.net/Toyota/Toyota14.ppt
Old 10-25-2012, 06:49 PM

I doubt well get diesels in pickups in the US. We never really get the cool stuff! There were mighty max's and diesel rangers in the 80s but nothing I know of since then. I don't know why either, little diesels rock.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:57 AM
RBX

because we need more pictures:
this shot shows the swirl valve actuation on the intake manifold....notice the round and rectangular ports...
Old 10-29-2012, 07:26 AM

Here's a video of the finished product...

Old 10-29-2012, 08:03 AM
RBX

Very nice, I didn't see a hood scoop?
Old 10-29-2012, 11:55 AM

No hood scoops for the FJ Cruiser. The customer is going to have one fabbed up down the road though.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:02 PM

i just finish 1kd-ftv swap in my 94 hilux

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WfMh...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-14-2012, 12:25 PM

That engine is an early 2001-2004 1KD-FT with the first generation immobilizer software. This is similar to the Landcruiser Prado 90 series found in Germany that have immobilizers on the 1KZ engines. Not very complicated nor as powerful or responsive as the latter engines. I would actually prefer a 1KZ to that engine as it puts out similar hp/torque with none of the early-build injector or oil sludge issues.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:48 PM
RBX

Very nice.
I'd like to hear about how you defeated the imombilizer, and any initialition issues with the other computers.
I know the early KD used the 2 wire injector before 2005 when they fixed the leak issue.

Todd, you say this engine isn't as responsive as the newer models, but it still has the variable turbo but it doesn't have the water cooled EGR that lots of folks complain about. I'm guessing the newer KD has a better fuel map, are there other bits that the old KD didn't have that the newer does(making it more responsive)?
Old 12-14-2012, 05:09 PM

It appears as though the transponder key ECU, transponder key, and key amplifier are all present and plugged in in that video. I dont see how they "bypassed the immobilizer" if the key, amplifier, and transponder key ECU are present. It looks like they got everything from a donor vehicle and plugged it in and supplied power; not an immobilizer bypass.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:55 AM
RBX

^^^ it does appear that way.

Quick Reply: 88 4Runner 1kd-ftv swap (NEW) w/pics