All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

1UZFE swap into 2nd Gen 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 03:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Cebby, did you forget about your thread? Got any updates?
Old 11-12-2005, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Randomness
Except that last time I owned a ZJ with the 4.0, NP242, and AW4, there are no blowers for the 4.0. It's a great motor, for sure. Nice torque, good reliability. But it's not a speed demon. It won't smoke built V8's. Try to tell anyone on JeepsUnlimited that. The 5.2 and 5.9 both have available blowers, but nothing for the 4.0. Now, if anything has come out in the last 6 months, then I take it back. But I've heard nothing.
let's see, would a source from 2001 be 6 months??? Carry the 7, x4, divided by wrong... Nope, they've been out longer than that

Uhh, you're a little un-informed man... the Stroker kit alone makes it more powerfull than most v-8's from the 90's(it's rated stock at 165hp and 225lb/ft) and there definately IS a Supercharger for the 4.0L, can't remember who makes it, but it's out there... I'm afraid your sources and investigation just wasn't thourough enough...

JP magazine (september 2001) has a pic of a Supercharger mounted up to a 4.0L in it's ultimate Jeep build-up section, wish the scanner was working cause I'd love for you to see it.

So I don't know who exactly you talked to or what they tried to convince you of but they're out there and they're great...

I love my Toy, but let's not be blinded by brand loyalty to the point of discrediting the BEST motor ever put in a stock North American 4x4 (the 4.0L) now if Toyota's 4.2L and 4.2L TD were over here it might be a different story eh

Cheer and No Worries

Dave
Old 11-12-2005, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by motoracer47
id put a modded 1uz up against any of those motors. there are supercharger kits available in australlia and japan. the stock block and crank can handle upwards of 2000HP!!!!!! a completely stock 1uz single turbo setup can put down about 450 at the wheels before you need to look at better rods/pistons. imho, the only engine built stronger is the nissan vk series v8s, but they are much larger and heavier than the 1uz. for its displacement and power, the 1uz is the lightest production v8 ever made, with a service life in bone stock configuration of a minimum of 500k miles, but i suspect the motor could make a million miles with proper care. i believe overall, its the best all aluminum, and maybe best overall(except the cosworth dfv) v8 in the world that is comercially available. and its cheap!!!! ive seen them on ebay for $350!

http://www.lextreme.com/ everthing you ever wanted to know about these motors

cebby: hows the progress going? im following this with intrest as i am seriously considering this swap myself, keep up the good work. btw, im sure you probably have already seen this, but just in case here is a link to someone in who has a running 1uz in a 2nd gen hilux surf.
http://geocities.com/deonsv8hilux/

edited the power output of the single turbo setup, was a little off, my bad
wow, that's some real tough stuff to back up... 450 stock, and 1 million miles??? little hard to swallow man, they're cool, but were talking Ice man in a freeezer cool now... don't know how much of that I belive but whatever.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey gang - no movement on the swap recently. Jammed up with work and the act of chasing work. Screwed over by a furniture dealership I was doing the majority of their work for them... I made it possible for them them to do about 5 mil in business and then got kicked to the curb... Asses. Stress and anxiety have kept me away from the swap unfortunately... I've also been working on diversifying so I don't have as many eggs in one basket anymore.

BUT - in the mean time, I've been compiling parts for the 1UZ - timing belt, starter rebuild kit, new alt, AC condensor, plugs, wires, acc. belt, coils, etc. I'm hoping to hit it and hit it hard soon...

To the above few posts:

Stock can go over 500K miles. It's documented.

2000hp with stock internals -- I doubt it. 700-800 is doable, but much more than that, you run into issues. There are new HD components being pioneered over at Lextreme to maintain durability in high boost applications.

On the Heep 4.0, is it a good engine? Sure. Is it a great engine? Maybe. Not as smooth as the Lex 4.0 though. The S/C for the Heep 4.0 is either by Avenger or Hesco. Hesco also has a stroker kit for the 4.0 to bring it up to 4.6.

Last edited by Cebby; 11-13-2005 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:22 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Hang in there Cebdog! I know the feeling...real life always manages to screw up my plans for fun as well lately!

Old 11-14-2005, 04:40 PM

the stock block and crank can handle upwards of 2000HP!!!!!!

HELL NO.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:43 PM

The block and crank aren't the problem. The problem is the pistons and connecting rods.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

Man, I'm really looking forward to you getting this swap done. Going to be awesome! I've been keeping track of your posts on lextreme too. Awesome site there--I had to register.

I've heard that the block and crank can handle 2000hp also. The rest of the internals can handle about 450hp from what I understand.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
One benefit of taking your time is Marlin now has the new coupler design that hopefully is leak free.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
One benefit of taking your time is Marlin now has the new coupler design that hopefully is leak free.
Oh really? Since mine is still sitting in parts, that sounds pretty darn good. Where did you hear this?
Old 11-18-2005, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cebby
Oh really? Since mine is still sitting in parts, that sounds pretty darn good. Where did you hear this?

I recieved mine about 3 weeks ago.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:33 AM
Contributing Member

Isn't he using the stock radiator?
Old 11-18-2005, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

I got mine about 3 or 4 weeks ago too. Haven't installed it yet though.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:52 AM

Can you post up a pic? I'm curious what is different on it.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah I'll try to get one later, the coupler is hollow through the middle and there is a bearing that gets removed because it is not needed anymore. I don't fully understand the design and they don't have a write-up yet to describe the install. Dave explained it to me but I don't remember it all. I'll have to call him back when I get ready to install it. Maybe someone who has installed one can chime in, but I think he said it was close to the factory design.

Last edited by mt_goat; 11-18-2005 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

Here you go, the part with the seal is called a seal housing I don't know if you have one of those or not and the coupler:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...07153172lBnxZD
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...07152928SQHPCO
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...07152820IEBXNj
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...07152710DLOCFD
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...07153059frszle
Old 12-01-2005, 08:05 PM

Thanks for the pics! I do not have a seal housing as part of mine. I'm guessing I need one??
Old 12-01-2005, 08:48 PM

OK - after a long break, I finally got back to it today...

Went from this:

To this:

I'm replacing the timing belt and water pump in case you couldn't figure it out. I found a good writeup for dismantling the front of the motor - a few minor inconsistencies, but overall, not too bad.

That took about 2 1/2 hours including a run to the auto parts store to buy a puller for the crank pulley. Oh, I was all worried about getting the crankshaft bolt out since the motor was out of the vehicle - I had visions of using some ungodly breaker bar and flipping then engine over on to the floor. It was really a piece of cake. My impact took it right off with no fanfare.

I hope to get back down there tomorrow and put the motor back together. Plenty to do there including starter rebuilt (5 minute job), PS pump rebuild, water pump, timing belt, caps/rotors, plugs, wires, etc.

Hey, check out the difference between the waterpump I pulled off compared to the new one. The existing one has a plastic impeller, while I new one is metal. Of course I get the old one off and it still looks brand new on the inside...

Old one:

New one:

I'm hoping my tranny jack arrives from HF tomorrow so I can finallly get the motor and trans out. I still need to assembly the t-cases and crawler assembly, so it will be a little while until I can fit all this stuff in there. I think I'll be fabbing my own crossmember also.

Last edited by Cebby; 12-01-2005 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:31 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the pics! I do not have a seal housing as part of mine. I'm guessing I need one??
If you are going to get the newly designed coupler, yes you will need the seal housing because with the new design the Toyota factory bearing and seal are removed from the tail housing.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:06 PM

Yummy...

Got that baby mounted...also got the starter rebuilt and installed.

The timing belt is pretty much done, but I have a question I posted over on Lextreme about the position of the left cam bank. The mark on the pulley doesn't seem to be in the right spot even though there was a timing belt on the motor that I removed (taking care not to move anything after moving the crank position to "0" with the belt on)

Didn't tighten the tensioner yet...

Quick Reply: 1UZFE swap into 2nd Gen 4Runner