All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

1UZFE swap into 2nd Gen 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 07:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I need 6 groove pulleys for my AC pump, PS Pump and Alternator. Anyone know where I should start looking? How hard are these to switch out?
Old 08-20-2005, 07:48 AM
Contributing Member

This shows how to machine one from a dual v-belt pulley. Machining a Dual V-belt pulley to fit a 6 groove serpentine

Here's a place that will machine custom pulleys... Emachineshop.com
Old 08-29-2005, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cebby
I have a Jeep GC also with the 4.0 I6. It is a nice motor, but only slightly less thirsty than the 3.0 in the 2G 4Runner. (Granted my JGC has crappy gearing though).

The AW4 and A340X are both made by Aisin. I don't have a problem with the AW4 being in a Jeep. I'm trying to avoid dismantling the entire trans if at all possible. Swapping outputs requires this. Plus, I already have the Toy cases and they are plenty capable of taking abuse.

My IFS will be the weak link in this rig once the swap is done. Especially now that I picked up the Tundra TC.
Oh yeah, they're not really good on economy, I just LOVE the 4.oL cause it pulls so bloody strong... I agree too that the Toy T-case is a good way to go instead of tearing into another box... and truth be told, I'm pretty partial to any t-case that doesn't use a vacum op engagement...sweet as the NP/NVG241 is, it's still got a vacum collar eh, I've seen so bloody many of these things fgreeze up on Mt. Hood and not engage that I really like the idea of a direct engagement and man. hubs.

the swap you're doing is really cool to watch man, I just picked my self up an 89 4Runner, so I know about the IFS weakness, but an SAS and a diesel swap of some sort will work all that out... I'm thinking 3.9L Cummins...

once again, it's really cool to see this swap of yours take shape, great pics, and alot of tech knowledge is a great thing for us beginners...

cheers and No worries

Dave

Last edited by Diesel_Freak; 08-29-2005 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:54 AM

Got tied up with stuff - back to it this week hopefully.

It appears that the AC pumps I'm finding are R134 for the 1UZ. My 4Runner was R12. Are there other components I need to switch out along with the pump, or can I reuse what I have?

The other thing I'm finding is regarding the alternators. Do I have to use the LS400 alt with the heat shield, or can I use an SC400 alt (no heat shield).

Anyone know if the 1UZ and 2UZ accessories are interchangable? (PS Pump, AC Pump, alternator)

Last edited by Cebby; 09-06-2005 at 05:56 AM.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:04 PM
Contributing Member

Wow, that's awesome! That's impressive. I wish I had the talent to do that kind of stuff. I've been wanting to do a 1uz, 2uz or 7mgte swap for a long time now. Looks like a really nice project!

I think the 1uz is one of the nicest looking modern engines out. I really like the design of the plenum and valve covers with the hidden plug wires. Have you thought about polishing the valve covers and plenum? Would look really cool.

I had an idea for your drive shaft bolts. I've never had to do it, do this is probably stupid, but here goes: Could you put a breaker bar on the bolt you are trying to loosen and just push the vehicle? If you let the end of the breaker bar rest on the floor, then the motion of the 4runner would turn the drive shaft loosening the bolt. Maybe it's dumb, but I'm just trying to be creative here.

Does the 1uz require premium gas? I thought I read somewhere that it does.

Well, have fun all.
Daniel
Old 09-06-2005, 10:01 PM
Contributing Member

It's a shame that Cali doesn't allow motors to be swapped in that weren't in that model for any year.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe the CA law says you can swap in any gas engine newer than the vehicle. Otherwise how can all these people be doing 3.4L swaps and chevy swaps?
Old 09-08-2005, 01:45 PM

OK, I found a PS pump and a Alt locally for a reasonable price, but ran into a question on the AC pump.

The salvage yard I was speaking to said the AC pumps were the same for 90-92, then different for 93-97. They have a 92, but I think my engine is a 94. He said there is a difference with the clutch pulley and suction tube (?).

can anyone shed some light on this?
Old 09-08-2005, 02:12 PM

Cebby,

During the early and mid '90s Toyota was making the switch from R12 refrigerant to non-ozone depleating R134 in thier A/C systems...this is probably what is responsible for the differences in parts.

The 'old' R12 is a more efficient system that allows the use of smaller parts (pump/compressor, condensor, etc.) at the drawback of destroying the ozone and (now) being damn expensive. Sometimes switching over old R12 systems to R134 results in reduced cooling ability due to R134's lack of efficiency and the smaller R12 parts.

For the sake of cost the R134 parts off of a later model would probably be desirable. The 'suction tube' is the flexible line the goes from the cooling unit (in the cab) to the A/C compressor. Be sure to save yourself a headache or two and replace all the O-rings, questionable hoses, etc. along the way. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:20 PM

Hey Faded -

That is exactly what I needed to know!!
Old 09-09-2005, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by DH6twinotter
Have you thought about polishing the valve covers and plenum? Would look really cool.

...snip....

Does the 1uz require premium gas? I thought I read somewhere that it does.
Thought about polishing/porting the inside of the intake, but not the exterior. I've polished rough cast pieces before - its a thankless job and in this case not worth it IMO.

Premium gas - I think I knew that. I'm curious to see if I'll get any gas mileage improvements with this combo. It is a pretty efficient engine, so hopefully...
Old 09-19-2005, 02:58 PM
Contributing Member

This may or may not help- I toyed with the Idea of converting my ford (cough) exploder from the R12 to the R134. I was told by my dad's mechanic that the condenser is different between r12 and r134. He mentioned that if I just flushed the system and added R134 I would have heating problems, such as mentioned above, and the system would not cool as well as the r-12.

I think the tubes inside the condenser are different sizes for the different coolants.

In the end it would have been a wash cost wise to repair the r12 completely or retrofit to the r134, I opted to stay r-12 because the AC was crappy enough in that vehicle.

However, living in Phoenix, ideling in traffic at 4:00 PM on 115 degree day, my toyota (r134) A/C has kept the cab nice and cool. In the Exploder I would have been melting...
If you have a descision, I might lean toward the r-134, cheaper for one, and being you might have some trial and error in putting the whole thing together, it might be the more economical/easy route. Lots of shops have refrigerant capture equipment and will credit you for what they suck out of the old system. Talk to an A/C guy for sure to see if I am correct on the condenser issue
Old 09-21-2005, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel_Freak
I'm a big fan of my Toy... don't get me wrong, but as far as gas motors go, I'll take a 4.0L mated to an NP242 over nearly anything else...aside from the Original FJ inline 6, there has never been a sweeter engine sold in a 4x4...4.oL's are flat out BALSY... add a supercharger and they'll smoke built v-8's... I love my 22RE to death cause it motors around very nicely, and it get's great milage, but my Cherokee has the motor that dreams are made of...not to mention the NP242 being one of the best all around T-cases made in the last 10 years......
Except that last time I owned a ZJ with the 4.0, NP242, and AW4, there are no blowers for the 4.0. It's a great motor, for sure. Nice torque, good reliability. But it's not a speed demon. It won't smoke built V8's. Try to tell anyone on JeepsUnlimited that. The 5.2 and 5.9 both have available blowers, but nothing for the 4.0. Now, if anything has come out in the last 6 months, then I take it back. But I've heard nothing.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:51 AM

There is a company out there that makes a supercharger for the 4.0. I think they are called Advenger Superchargers. I think that if you put that supercharger on top of a bored and stroked "4.6" then it would be a tough motor to beat.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Randomness
Except that last time I owned a ZJ with the 4.0, NP242, and AW4, there are no blowers for the 4.0. It's a great motor, for sure. Nice torque, good reliability. But it's not a speed demon. It won't smoke built V8's. Try to tell anyone on JeepsUnlimited that. The 5.2 and 5.9 both have available blowers, but nothing for the 4.0. Now, if anything has come out in the last 6 months, then I take it back. But I've heard nothing.
id put a modded 1uz up against any of those motors. there are supercharger kits available in australlia and japan. the stock block and crank can handle upwards of 2000HP!!!!!! a completely stock 1uz single turbo setup can put down about 450 at the wheels before you need to look at better rods/pistons. imho, the only engine built stronger is the nissan vk series v8s, but they are much larger and heavier than the 1uz. for its displacement and power, the 1uz is the lightest production v8 ever made, with a service life in bone stock configuration of a minimum of 500k miles, but i suspect the motor could make a million miles with proper care. i believe overall, its the best all aluminum, and maybe best overall(except the cosworth dfv) v8 in the world that is comercially available. and its cheap!!!! ive seen them on ebay for $350!

http://www.lextreme.com/ everthing you ever wanted to know about these motors

cebby: hows the progress going? im following this with intrest as i am seriously considering this swap myself, keep up the good work. btw, im sure you probably have already seen this, but just in case here is a link to someone in who has a running 1uz in a 2nd gen hilux surf.
http://geocities.com/deonsv8hilux/

edited the power output of the single turbo setup, was a little off, my bad

Last edited by motoracer47; 10-01-2005 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:24 AM

Hey Moto - The process has been non-existant recently. Had some other things to take care of - but in the mean time, I've been ordering/obtaining needed parts. I picked up an alternator and PS pump a couple of weeks ago. Just need an AC pump and I'll be good to go.

I'm active over on Lextreme also - as a matter of fact, I'm expecting a shipment from Lex from over there at the beginning of next week. Starter rebuild kit, timing belt, plugs, wires, etc, etc. I'm going to do the big maintenance items on the motor now, while it's out of the rig.

The great power to weight ratio was one of the many pros to doing this swap. Basically, I'm removing Toyota's WORST engine (3VZE) and replacing it with arguably the best engine Toyota ever made.

It looks like the hoist is finally freed up, so I'm hoping to pull the motor this week (FINALLY!!!) and start test fitting the 1UZ. I need a few snap rings for the t-case, but other than that, should be good to go.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cebby
Basically, I'm removing Toyota's WORST engine (3VZE) and replacing it with arguably the best engine Toyota ever made.
my thoughts exactly! i finally registered with lexstreme, been reading it for a year now, thought id finally get a name in there. they have some talented fabricators over there, thats for sure!
Old 10-04-2005, 03:54 PM

Rocket - Name a worse engine made by Toyota than the 3VZE.... I'll give you the fact that its better than most other motors by OTHER manufacturers. Wasn't Toyota's finest hour though... Mine gave me 140K miles with zero issues - geared properly, it isn't a total turd.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:55 PM

Cebby been reading you swap on this board and marlins, don't know if you have already stated this or not but is it possible to mate this engine to a R151 or do you have to do an auto. also what are the best vehichles to get this engine from ie. Lexus or toyota?
thanks

Late
Joe
Old 10-19-2005, 08:10 PM
Contributing Member

its from a early 90s lexus sc400 or ls400, the only difference is the oil pans, and yes you can mate it to and 5-speed with a bellhousing from dellows (in austrailia) but its pricey, you could try to just make you own adapter plate

Quick Reply: 1UZFE swap into 2nd Gen 4Runner