All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

1UZFE swap into 2nd Gen 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My 93 Toyota pickup doesn't have a seperate fan on the AC condensor either. I never knew the 4runner did until I saw your pic above.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a site with pics of overhaul of the A340 transmission:

http://www.supras.nl/index.php?optio...d=35&Itemid=52
Old 07-24-2005, 06:28 PM

Thanks for the link

Originally Posted by jr9162
Here's a site with pics of overhaul of the A340 transmission:

http://www.supras.nl/index.php?optio...d=35&Itemid=52
Thanks for that link. I had found the same article on another website some time ago, and couldn't find it again. This will definitely help.

-Dan
Old 07-24-2005, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WildHare
Thanks for that link. I had found the same article on another website some time ago, and couldn't find it again. This will definitely help.

-Dan
I have that one in my favorites - someone had put in one of the threads I have going on this swap. I couldn't find where though.

There is some good reading on many of the threads, but this one has the most replies. For anyone bored or wanting more info, here's all the other threads (alot is duplication of this thread - some is not):

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...9&page=1&pp=25
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=9434.0
http://www.pghoffroad.com/modules.ph...iewtopic&t=329
http://www.keystonekrawlers.com/foru...pic.php?t=7128
http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2653
Old 07-25-2005, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Cebby
For anyone bored or wanting more info, here's all the other threads (alot is duplication of this thread - some is not):
Thanks for spreading the info around. Keeps information from being too isolated.

Although, I'm suprised that Yotatech is giving you the most replies. I had expected more from pirate4x4 forums... they seem to have been around much longer and have MANY more active members.

However, take love where you get it!
Old 07-26-2005, 06:55 PM
JD

Cebby

This is Mikes fan set up with his 7MGTE conversion and what you need to do An excellent set of fans fully shrouded and cooling would be a non issue with these puppies at full noise.

JD
Old 07-30-2005, 06:31 AM

Thanks for the pic JD! It looks like he is planning the fans in front of the rad. The cutting he did is similar to what I had in mind.

I finally got back down to the shop after my weeklong+ hiatus (family in from out of town).

On the Runner, just a couple little things done. The big news is that I got the motor off the skid and up onto the engine stand. For this particular stand, the fingers add roughly 2 7/16 (approx 60mm) to the bolts + thread depth (approx 30mm). So, I got (4) bolts M12 x 1.25tp x 90mm long. No pics of me actually bolting the engine to the stand (too much cursing)

How about a good look at that engine...

Old 07-30-2005, 03:45 PM
Contributing Member

I admire your work Cebby. Thats a big task your taking on and it looks like your making some progress. Keep at it.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:46 PM

Got a few things done tonight:

Removed:

Skid
Coolant, ATF and Engine Oil
Bumper and valence
Flex-a-lite fan
Radiator
AC Condensor/Evap./piping
Horns
Hood latch/support

After getting all this stuff out, it appears that I the LS400 rad I was thinking about using is too large. Back to the drawng board...

Old 07-31-2005, 04:31 PM

For those that have pulled this motor before, can I pull the engine/trans/t-case as one unit, or do I need to unbolt the trans from the block? Those bolts up on top of the trans have got to be a beotch if its the latter...
Old 07-31-2005, 07:29 PM

Removing Engine

For those that have pulled this motor before, can I pull the engine/trans/t-case as one unit, or do I need to unbolt the trans from the block? Those bolts up on top of the trans have got to be a beotch if its the latter...
I believe it is possible, as I have done similar removals alone. It requires some redneck flanageling as you are alone, but was not vastly different. Instead of having someone lift while I jiggled/moved the engine, I ended up lifting the combo and then using a lever (usually a 2x4) to clear obstacles. Remember to never have any part of your body under a hung weight, and to avoid swinging said hung weight.

For me there were four major hurdles. First is getting the front of the engine (with the output pulley attached) over the cross bar at the front of the engine bay (where your hood latch is bolted on). You may be able to get it over with a steeper engine angle. However, there is a point where at a given angle the transmission will hit the transmission hump in the body. I pushed/pulled the rear of the transfer case down until the output pulley clears the crossbar.

Second hurdle is getting the engine oil pan over that same cross bar, for the same reason cited above: engine angle makes tranny hit the transmission hump in the body. Solution for me is usually to lift the engine/tranny higher, with the transmission hump effectively holding the tranny down, allowing the engine oil pan over the cross bar. Usually comes out with a sudden motion, releasing energy.

Third hurdle is getting the transfer case past the front differential. The front output flange of the transfer case will want to hit the input flange of your front differential. I just used a 2x4 and some leverage to slip it past. Your transmission might be hitting the transmission hump at that point, requiring a little more effort to get it past. This is not nearly as bad a problem with a solid front axle, as it sits further from the engine... See, you need to get your axle swapped!

Fourth hurdle is getting the foward flange section of the transfer case over that front cross bar. For this I used a 2x4 to lift it up and over. I did bend the top of the crossbar some (it uses fairly light construction).

It should be noted that I did have one good asset: a high lift for my engine. When I got the combo out, the front of the engine was just over my head, with the apex of my lift chain probably another 4 feet higher, for a total lift of about 10 feet. This high lift and relatively steep angle made it much easier to remove the engine. Otherwise, you have to push down on the transmission more when getting it out from under the transmission hump, and tend to drag the engine/tranny over the front cross bar more.

Of course, some people just cut out the crossbar and avoid the whole problem. To each their own .

You will probably have a kickdown cable going to your current transmission (I assume it's auto), that goes along the underside of the transmission hump. You can crush this cable if you rub/hit it too much with the transmission while removing it. It may be a good idea to remove/move the cable before engine removal.

I really think the best option is to have a friend on hand. If you have the engine connections removed/unbolted, the transfer case crossmember removed and transmission supported by a jackstand, and the lift attached and ready... you could get it out in 2 hours if you do it slowly.

However, I can understand having to do it alone. I did this engine swap and two body swaps unassisted. I can thump my chest, but there were some aggrivating moments! And one or two scary ones!

In any case, good luck!

Last edited by WildHare; 07-31-2005 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:27 PM
JD

Cebby

What I do is jack up the rear as far as possible and support it with stands. Then jack up the front and the remove wheels and support the car with some soft blocks of wood under the bottom steering knuckle.

This gives a much better working angle and my engine and trans slides out no probs

JD
Old 08-01-2005, 04:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by WildHare
I really think the best option is to have a friend on hand....
In any case, good luck!
Friend here!!! Mike call me whenever you need a hand. I know you may be doing this stuff at off hours but late after the kids are in bed works for me.

P.S. Paragon was awesome. Wish you could have been there! Put a big crease in my driveshaft attempting to climb up a 4 ft rock face and had to drive all the way home at 45 mph!
Old 08-01-2005, 05:04 AM
Banned

A couple of folks have cautioned against putting the condensor behind the rad, so I'll need to rethink it. I was also warned against that sort of fan I posted as they have a tendency for the metal to fatigue where the blades are attached and they come flying off. OUCH!

So, I came across this fan:

Flex-a-lite FLX-398, $119 ea. 2500 CFM, 17a Comes with a shroud. I will use 2 of these side by side. It's 4" thick though...

I know very little about AC. Anyone know how far away I can relocate the AC condensor from the pump? I'm wondering if I can find a different size/shape condensor that would fit elsewhere. Has anyone heard of running two smaller condensors? (maybe flanking the radiator??) Any AC savvy folks out there?

EDIT: I've found some others that are a little thinner, so this may work out afterall...

Regarding the AC, since the fan on the condensor only covers maybe a 3rd of it, could I get away without it and just use the condensor?
Cebby,

If you're going to electric fans, you might as well do it right....

my ttora writeup:

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/wiki/..._Toyota_Shroud

yotatech writeup:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/electric-fan-variable-speed-controller-installed-61008/

ebay auction for my fan:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7963226589
Old 08-01-2005, 05:07 AM

I've been thinking alot about this and think I have 1 big problem.

The ceiling height where I'm working is only about 8 feet. The hoist I'll be using is one of those gantry type with the chain drive. Similar to this:

I've been using a new acquisition to the tool box for alot of this disassembly. It has made life pretty easy thus far.

If I can get in there with it (or with a combo of extensions), it shouldn't be too bad to get the bolts out if I loosen everything and drop the tail of the t-case to ease access as some have suggested.

I have a pretty busy week, but hope to get the motor/trans/tcase out before next weekend. I get one free weekend in August since my wife is heading out of town with my kids, so I want to have that weekend for trouble shooting the wiring (I hope). This may be a tall order though since I have to rebuild 2 t-cases and assemble the dual ultimate also.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by bamachem
Cebby,

If you're going to electric fans, you might as well do it right....

my ttora writeup:

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/wiki/..._Toyota_Shroud

yotatech writeup:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61008

ebay auction for my fan:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7963226589
Thanks for the links Andy. Do you have any idea how much air the Volvo fan moves? I'm shooting for 3500-4000 cfm since I'll be foregoing the AC fan and the added engine size. even if I don't use that particular fan, that controller you are using is a keeper!!
Old 08-01-2005, 11:56 AM

OK, I received a Tundra torque converter today. I compared it to the LS400 TC. While there is a slight difference dimensionally, the big diffference is in the weight. Even with some ATF left in the LS400 TC (and virtually none in the Tundra TC), the Tundra TC weighs at least 1/3 more. (Sorry, no scale handy). The top half of the two TC's are virtually identical, the difference lies on the driveplate side of the TC. The Tundra TC measures roughly 12" diameter, while the LS400 TC is roughly 11 3/8".

So, the added size and weight should help dissipate the heat associated with the auto trans/crawlers (with adequate coolers installed of course)
Old 08-01-2005, 11:59 AM
Banned

I don't know what the airflow is. However, I do know what that fan sounds like at 50% w/ the AC contact energized and at 100% with a direct lead to the battery as far as I know it hasn't gone above about 65-75% under full load in 95+ degree temps, AC cranked, and in stop and go traffic. I also have a trans cooler infront of the AC condenser, so it's pulling TRIPLE duty

Hayden Trans Cooler > AC Condenser > OEM Trans Cooler & Radiator

It's all the way off on the highway w/ good flow and is barely running in low speed driving. it really only cranks up when very hot in traffic.

One thing that I believe contributes to that is the efficient design of the blade coupled with the fact that I used the OEM shroud that covers the entire radiator and not just part of it. More surface area = a more efficient heat exchanger.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:02 PM

don't try and take everything out as a unit - too much work. You'll end up with binding - I broke a windshield doing this.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:04 PM

Spent 5 hours at the shop tonight. I'm bushed!

Got a good amount done though.

Pulled the trans fluid cooler
Pulled the crossmember
Finished uphooking everything in the engine bay (balance of the AC piping and power steering hoses)

Then I ran into a problem... I can't get any of my damn driveshaft bolts out. I tried everything. I'm going to pickup a set of wobble impact sockets so I can use my impact wrench on those stubborn buggers. Any words of wisdom (other than heat..)

When I ran into this issue, I turned my attention to 1UZ. Time to start tearing into it. Important thing to note: Even if the folks you get the engine from say they drained all the fluids, don't believe it. I flipped mine over and proceded to dump a bunch of coolant on the floor. Then I discovered that my mounting of the engine to the stand was far from balanced - when I flipped it, it about threw me into the air (no small feat!). I found that I was unable to flip it back over, so then I push the engine across the shop to where the chain hoist is. Hook it to the engine and start hoistin'. Phew!

So, then I tear into the engine.

I got the TB and top intake plenum off, then I stripped the existing harness off. I have a couple of sensors to unhook, but for the most part, I'm ready to install the new harness. Here's a few pics of the strippage:

Quick Reply: 1UZFE swap into 2nd Gen 4Runner