All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

1UZ-FE into 1988 4runner 3.0 3vze

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 07:14 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by toylocost
I;m sorry if youve gone over this already but what do you have to do to make this legal in CA?
Dont worry about it man , Yea Im not really 100% sure .

I do know that the engine needs to be newer and that all emissions parts from the newer engine must be installed and working .

I dont know if they look at the wiring or fuel lines to make sure they are safe or that kind of stuff.

When I do go to the referee I will post to what I find out .

Did you get a chance to see the cluster ? I think it came out pretty cool , have gotten alot of compliments on it and the engine swap.

The owner of the local toyota salvage yard was really inpressed he and his guys told me they will be working on one soon , and mine was the first one they had seen in person .

Made me feel really good man , you should see some of the trucks they have there, really built monsters most with 350's and SAS in them.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:54 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah I saw the gauges. Look friggin sick. This thread is slowly changing my mind from doing a 3.4 swap. I should probably do the 3.4 just because it is a good step for the ammount of fabricating experience I have but I've been driving my truck for the last few weeks and I have noticed that it would be nice to have an automatic. That was the main thing stopping me from wanting to do the 1uz swap before, the fact that it would be such a PITA to adapt a manual trans to it. But I think I should just find me an LS400, yank the whole drivetrain and find me some dual cases too. I think I would be much happier with my truck and probably end up with better milage too.

Where is this salvage yard you are talking about?
Old 09-05-2009, 10:23 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Yeah I saw the gauges. Look friggin sick. This thread is slowly changing my mind from doing a 3.4 swap. I should probably do the 3.4 just because it is a good step for the ammount of fabricating experience I have but I've been driving my truck for the last few weeks and I have noticed that it would be nice to have an automatic. That was the main thing stopping me from wanting to do the 1uz swap before, the fact that it would be such a PITA to adapt a manual trans to it. But I think I should just find me an LS400, yank the whole drivetrain and find me some dual cases too. I think I would be much happier with my truck and probably end up with better milage too.

Where is this salvage yard you are talking about?
The salvage yard is called Toy Connection they are in santa clara, they dont have any lexus cars all pickups , tundras ,tacomas and 4runners and some land cruisers .

Dude Really the hardest part of this swap was the wiring that was really hard on me . The rest is not very hard just takes some time and patience , lots of patience .

Your best bet would be to keep an eye open on craigs like you did with your runner.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey RMA,been reading your thread for past 3 hrs.Sounds like you got plenty of power now,nice job! Hope you get the exhaust you really want.Will be keeping up with your progress in the future.Also do you or anyone else recommend a specific type of motor oil.I got 233,000 miles on my 90 V6 that I just bought aug.18th thanks!
Old 09-06-2009, 09:59 AM

Any idea what they would want to steal out of your wifes 94?
Old 09-06-2009, 10:33 AM

How much have you been driving it? Any idea on gas milage?
Old 09-06-2009, 11:07 AM
kaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in awsome, its kind of inspiring to see that 1uzfe sitting there under the hood a 4runner.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:35 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Matt90V6SR5
Hey RMA,been reading your thread for past 3 hrs.Sounds like you got plenty of power now,nice job! Hope you get the exhaust you really want.Will be keeping up with your progress in the future.Also do you or anyone else recommend a specific type of motor oil.I got 233,000 miles on my 90 V6 that I just bought aug.18th thanks!

Yea has plenty of power even with this crappy exhaust

Originally Posted by Matt90V6SR5
Any idea what they would want to steal out of your wifes 94?

Its stock so i dont know, but I got it back already.

How much have you been driving it? Any idea on gas milage?

I drove it all last week and I was getting better mileage than the 3.0 , I dont have exact numbers . I know when I use to take the 3.0 to work (30 miles one way ) and drive around up there a bit I would have around 1/2 tank left when I got home , now doing the same thing I have just under 3/4 left.

Originally Posted by kaz
in awsome, its kind of inspiring to see that 1uzfe sitting there under the hood a 4runner.
Thanks Man!!!
Old 09-06-2009, 06:07 PM

Hey how bout a good overall shot of that engine bay?
Old 09-14-2009, 09:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts
Freakin SICK thread man!!!! I know this has been stated like 10 times in the last 7 pages, but HOW DID I MISS THIS???! LOL!!! Great job!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 09:26 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

THanks Logan , Yea I am happy about this swap came out good .

I am not driving it right now , MY egr tube is broken and the exhaust fumes are getting into tha cab and giving me a headache.

I will try and make a new one if I cant I will have one made.

Again thanks for the pics on the ebrake.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:44 AM

I got one you can have if you pay for the ride. You are talking about the tube that goes from the back of the intake plenum to the right exhaust manifold right? It's from an LS400 but I think its has some flex in it for different exhaust manifolds. PM me if you are interested.

Last edited by toyminator2000; 09-16-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hey! where's the rest of this thread? last post was two weeks ago, how's it going? we must know!!! haha

i just read this entire thread today. it's like an adventure novel!

@ RMA: man, you should be dammmm proud of this work. really great customization, dealing with each phase one at a time and resolving your issues, and of course, posting it all in this excellent thread. this is like an encyclopedia of knowledge; step by step instructions for this swap. really really, excellent job with your documentation.

i had a '90 LS for 6 years before i sold it to get the runner i have today. i got tired of paying for premium gas. in that time, the only motor issues i had were the bearing bracket behind the fan broke, and the power steering reservoir hose blew and dumped p.s. fluid into the alt., shorting it out. keep an eye on that little hose underneath the res. that motor purrs like a kitten. i bought it with 165k and sold it with 250k. did you happen to put a new water pump in before install? keep an eye on that too.

did you spend some time driving the sedan before pulling the motor? just to get a feel for how the motor runs. it is a VERY low idler. hwy cruising at 2500rpm is typical. i think i was getting about 22mpg and i only ran chevron premium. it would ping with almost any other gas. be careful when you buy oil filters for it, they make a short and a long that fits on there. always get the long, even if you have to go to toyota to get it. provided it fits in your install, of course. if you have clearance issues removing it, the short may benefit your custom application.

had a CEL come on once in 6 yrs, it needed new O2 sensors, cleared it right up. that yellow radiator light is low coolant level. it's nice that the important idiot lights are red and the minor ones are yellow.

that dashboard and cluster came out great. it really looks good in there. that is some supreme customization, well worth your time spent in rewiring work.

i am jealous, but very happy for you. the lexus was the best car i ever owned, but i traded it for a 4runner, which hopefully will prove to be the best truck i ever owned. sure wish i could combine them like you have, but i am done with buying premium. ha.

well, post up some off road vids when you can. and make sure that thing has LOJACK OR SOMETHING, OR JUST KEEP A PITBULL INSIDE AT ALL TIMES.

and thanx again for creating this thread so we could participate in your build. peace!
tj
Old 09-29-2009, 01:32 PM
Contributing Member

Hey just wondering if you have any pics of that dash that your friend was going to finish? Was he going to be makinging it out of fiberglass? Carbon fiber? Just wondering, cause I was looking at my dash on the 4Runner and its all cracked and that Lexus gauge cluster isn't going to fit. Just trying to get some good ideas for mine. Thanks
Old 09-29-2009, 05:06 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
hey! where's the rest of this thread? last post was two weeks ago, how's it going? we must know!!! haha

i just read this entire thread today. it's like an adventure novel!

@ RMA: man, you should be dammmm proud of this work. really great customization, dealing with each phase one at a time and resolving your issues, and of course, posting it all in this excellent thread. this is like an encyclopedia of knowledge; step by step instructions for this swap. really really, excellent job with your documentation.

i had a '90 LS for 6 years before i sold it to get the runner i have today. i got tired of paying for premium gas. in that time, the only motor issues i had were the bearing bracket behind the fan broke, and the power steering reservoir hose blew and dumped p.s. fluid into the alt., shorting it out. keep an eye on that little hose underneath the res. that motor purrs like a kitten. i bought it with 165k and sold it with 250k. did you happen to put a new water pump in before install? keep an eye on that too.

did you spend some time driving the sedan before pulling the motor? just to get a feel for how the motor runs. it is a VERY low idler. hwy cruising at 2500rpm is typical. i think i was getting about 22mpg and i only ran chevron premium. it would ping with almost any other gas. be careful when you buy oil filters for it, they make a short and a long that fits on there. always get the long, even if you have to go to toyota to get it. provided it fits in your install, of course. if you have clearance issues removing it, the short may benefit your custom application.

had a CEL come on once in 6 yrs, it needed new O2 sensors, cleared it right up. that yellow radiator light is low coolant level. it's nice that the important idiot lights are red and the minor ones are yellow.

that dashboard and cluster came out great. it really looks good in there. that is some supreme customization, well worth your time spent in rewiring work.

i am jealous, but very happy for you. the lexus was the best car i ever owned, but i traded it for a 4runner, which hopefully will prove to be the best truck i ever owned. sure wish i could combine them like you have, but i am done with buying premium. ha.

well, post up some off road vids when you can. and make sure that thing has LOJACK OR SOMETHING, OR JUST KEEP A PITBULL INSIDE AT ALL TIMES.

and thanx again for creating this thread so we could participate in your build. peace!
tj
Wow , Thanks Tj . I havent been dirving the runner , I havent taken her off road since the swap.

I did drive her the first week, all week and it was really great , but the egr tube is broken and alot of exaust fumes were coming into the truck giving me a headache , so I need a new one , before I will drive her again.

I have done some more work on her , new rear shocks ,rear disc brakes and a lockright in the rear. as soon as I get the egr tube Im taking here to hollister real quick.

Originally Posted by yodathespian87
Hey just wondering if you have any pics of that dash that your friend was going to finish? Was he going to be makinging it out of fiberglass? Carbon fiber? Just wondering, cause I was looking at my dash on the 4Runner and its all cracked and that Lexus gauge cluster isn't going to fit. Just trying to get some good ideas for mine. Thanks

Look at post #161 that was the dash part I was talking about and my friend customized , he used fiberglass and bondo . Its just one part of the 2 piece dash for the 4runner.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by RMA
THanks Logan , Yea I am happy about this swap came out good .

I am not driving it right now , MY egr tube is broken and the exhaust fumes are getting into tha cab and giving me a headache.

I will try and make a new one if I cant I will have one made.

Again thanks for the pics on the ebrake.
Ah man, bummer about the egr tube!! Hopefully you can score another. No worries about the pics, you need anything else let me know! Man...wish I had a V-8! LOL!!!
Old 09-29-2009, 05:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
RMA, i was reading another 1uz swap thread (the link to it is somewhere in your thread) and that guy said he had a JDM intake (with a chrome toyota instead of lexus emblem) and it had the EGR delete plate. Can you fabricate this same method? as long as the exhaust gas passes emissions, i can't imagine the referee knowing it's missing. you would have to trick the CEL tho.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:59 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
Ah man, bummer about the egr tube!! Hopefully you can score another. No worries about the pics, you need anything else let me know! Man...wish I had a V-8! LOL!!!

Thanks , again!!!

Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
RMA, i was reading another 1uz swap thread (the link to it is somewhere in your thread) and that guy said he had a JDM intake (with a chrome toyota instead of lexus emblem) and it had the EGR delete plate. Can you fabricate this same method? as long as the exhaust gas passes emissions, i can't imagine the referee knowing it's missing. you would have to trick the CEL tho.

I could do that, but its kind of obvious the egr is gone. The one problem is thse erg tubes are all broken every one I can find at the junk yards , brand new from lexus its around $300 or a little less, then I still have to modifiy it because Im going into the tundra manifolds .

here is the Egr delete kit on lextreme.

http://www.lextreme.com/egr.html

Last edited by RMA; 09-29-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:03 PM

JDM Intake Plenum with Toyota Emblem instead of Lexus and Factory EGR delete stuff. The Lextreme kit uses fabricated parts.

Name:  114_1944.jpg
Views: 1315
Size:  126.7 KB
Name:  114_1945.jpg
Views: 1443
Size:  68.7 KB

Last edited by toyminator2000; 09-29-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:20 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

toyminator , yea Ive seen those factory delete ones they are nice if you dont need to worry about smog , or if you are willing to swap them out every smog check.

Quick Reply: 1UZ-FE into 1988 4runner 3.0 3vze