3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

My first, and hopefully last engine swap.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The plugs you need are two from the 3.0 harness that attach to the dash harness. And on the 3.4 ones you'll need the two same ones but the side that's in the dash. Clear as mud? I cut mine leaving about 6 inches of wire from the plug to make my harness.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:14 PM

My first, and hopefully last engine swap.-image-1282793542.jpg

I believe this is Vasinvictor's harness. This pic helped me a lot when I was having trouble wrapping my head around what needed to be done.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome, thanks man.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:40 PM

So I've finally got to the point where all the wires sitting on the kitchen table are not making the 4runner run. I have subscribed to TIS tonight and downloaded what I think was relevant for my swap. I made sure to get the overall, Ecu, ignition among other things. Is there anything that is not obvious that a guy should download? I made sure to get 80% of the entire thing but I read that most people use the overall mostly.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Unbrakeable
So I've finally got to the point where all the wires sitting on the kitchen table are not making the 4runner run. I have subscribed to TIS tonight and downloaded what I think was relevant for my swap. I made sure to get the overall, Ecu, ignition among other things. Is there anything that is not obvious that a guy should download? I made sure to get 80% of the entire thing but I read that most people use the overall mostly.
I exclusively used the overall ewd to wire my swap. I downloaded other pages just for future repair/information purposes.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:05 PM

Good to know Vas, thanks for the reply. I'm sitting here as we speak looking at the overall EWD trying to make sense of it, haha. The wine isn't helping I'm sure.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by vasinvictor
I exclusively used the overall ewd to wire my swap. I downloaded other pages just for future repair/information purposes.
X2 this is what I did
Old 07-08-2014, 02:57 AM

Good to know Vas, thanks for the reply. I'm sitting here as we speak looking at the overall EWD trying to make sense of it, haha. The wine isn't helping I'm sure.
If you have them in adobe use the search feature, makes finding the pin outs super easy. Like IH1, IH2 for the 3.0 I believe. Use which ever plug names you have for your vehicle though.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:54 PM

Huge shout out to Jason, he has been a big help behind the scenes. Thanks a ton dude, seriously.

Been working at the wiring today with the help of Jason, but there are some things that get me puzzled. What do you use of the 4wd ADD stuff? I have manual hubs, do I still need to wire it in? It seems I have several things on the 3.4 EWD that relate to 4wd ADD but only one on the 3.0 harness (IH2 Pin 2 G-Y)

Also have two pins for the back up lights on the 3.0 Harness I'm not sure what to do with, as well as a lot of the ABS stuff on the 3.4 which I'm assuming I will just leave out of the equation.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Huge shout out to Jason, he has been a big help behind the scenes. Thanks a ton dude, seriously.

Been working at the wiring today with the help of Jason, but there are some things that get me puzzled. What do you use of the 4wd ADD stuff? I have manual hubs, do I still need to wire it in? It seems I have several things on the 3.4 EWD that relate to 4wd ADD but only one on the 3.0 harness (IH2 Pin 2 G-Y)

Also have two pins for the back up lights on the 3.0 Harness I'm not sure what to do with, as well as a lot of the ABS stuff on the 3.4 which I'm assuming I will just leave out of the equation.
Just leave everything out that you are not using such as ABS, ADD, cruise (if youre not using it), etc. I unpinned all that stuff from the harness because it is TIGHT getting all that crap in the kick panel when youre all done.

I also used the 95 4Runner Overall Diagram even though I have a 92 pickup. It was 100% accurate in EVERY instance whereas my 92 pickup diagrams were at about 80%. Also used that same 95 Overall for a 96 Runner and it was also perfect.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:23 PM

I plan on using everything I need, do I need to splice the wires for the ADD 4wd into the 3.4 harness? I'd like to have backup lights, but I don't see where I'd splice them in so I'm assuming they'll work without splicing? Haha.

I removed my cruise but I have not removed my ABS, not that I need ABS but again I don't see where to splice any of the wires. I have no idea what I'm doing remember, but I'm under the impression that if the IH1 and IH2 plugs do not have a wire for the function, then it will function fine without any help from the 3.4 ECU (such as the ABS)

I'm just trying to "match everything up" but in the instance of the 4wd ADD the 3.4 has a lot of wiring a long with it, where as my 3.0 had only 1 wire relating. Do I even need to wire it if I have manual hubs?

Thanks for the reply dude!
Old 07-13-2014, 11:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I plan on using everything I need, do I need to splice the wires for the ADD 4wd into the 3.4 harness? I'd like to have backup lights, but I don't see where I'd splice them in so I'm assuming they'll work without splicing? Haha.

I removed my cruise but I have not removed my ABS, not that I need ABS but again I don't see where to splice any of the wires. I have no idea what I'm doing remember, but I'm under the impression that if the IH1 and IH2 plugs do not have a wire for the function, then it will function fine without any help from the 3.4 ECU (such as the ABS)

I'm just trying to "match everything up" but in the instance of the 4wd ADD the 3.4 has a lot of wiring a long with it, where as my 3.0 had only 1 wire relating. Do I even need to wire it if I have manual hubs?

I never wired any of the add stuff cause I had manual hubs and was going to sas right after.

Remember, the abs on your truck and the abs on your donor are VASTLY different. Don't wire any of it.

As far as the backup lights go, there is a sensor in the transmission that switches output to the lights. I cannot remember if it's 12v or ground. Probably 12v. Anyway, that wire is probably what your coming across in your harness. I cannot remember off the top of my head, but I'd assume that the two wires your seeing in the harness are for power to the switch, and power FROM the switch to the backup lights. Easy to check with a meter. Just toggle it in and out of reverse and see if you have voltage on one as it goes into reverse. The other should have constant voltage with ignition on.

Last edited by dntsdad; 07-13-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:56 AM

There are pretty much three types of wires in this, 12v, ground and signal wires. The 12v are your switched power ie power to coil and injectors, constant power ie power to the ECU to hold memory. Signal wires are gauges and OBD2 signal.
Get the engine to run then get the reverse lights and 4wd light working. I tired to figure everything out before I started and confused myself even more.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:08 PM

Take a look at my conversion harness, I have ADD working correctly (that took a bit of work), ABS, A/C, everything except for cruise (since it quit working before the swap).

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...l#post52161608
Old 07-14-2014, 12:17 PM

Thanks SAC. Im just looking at my EWD's right now trying to figure out how to get it all working. So far what I plan on trying for the ADD is:

Pin 9 G-W on my 3.4 ECU plug is for 4WD Detection

Pin 2 G-Y on my 3.0 IH2 seems to wire up to the ADD detection relay

So I'm going to wire those two together, then take the

pin 10 G-Y on 3.0 IH2 Combolight 4wd

And wire it with 3.4 IK1 pin 10 G-B which is the 4wd light.

So in my thinking the add relay goes off in the 3.0 4runner, sends a signal to the ECU then somehow that signal gets to the 3.4 4wd light wire, which will be hooked up to my 3,0 4wd light wire.

The only pin on the 3.0 stuff I can find relating to ADD is that pin 2 G-Y IH2.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:21 PM

Like you posted above if you have manual hubs there is no need to "wire" anything that has to do with ADD because it isn't there.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:29 PM

When wiring the COR to ecm, the 101 swap says "All that needs to be done is run a wire from the FC terminal of the ECM and connect it to the G-Y wire"

What is the FC Terminal? Haha.

Last edited by Unbrakeable; 07-14-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:25 PM

When wiring the COR to ecm, the 101 swap says "All that needs to be done is run a wire from the FC terminal of the ECM and connect it to the G-Y wire"

What is the FC Terminal? Haha.
So I guess I figured out where the FC terminal is, do you splice into it leaving the original wiring or just cut it?

For anyone else like me who is to quick to ask questions then search, its just a pinout on the ECU for me it was Pin 14 on the M/T H connector for my year.

Last edited by Unbrakeable; 07-14-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:08 PM

"FC" means "Fuel Control" ... in case you were curious
Old 07-14-2014, 03:56 PM

Thanks SAC. So I'm at the point where I feel like I've got it mostly worked out largely to the help of you guys. Im still not sure if I splice or cut the FC wire, so ill just splice for now. Also not sure what my IH1 pin 1 is for. Looks like its just a ground, or am I wrong?

Quick Reply: My first, and hopefully last engine swap.