3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

It had officially began, 3.0 auto to 3.4 manual in 92 ex-cab

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 04:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
yes I have flipped the fuel supply line as well as the return. I didnt take any pictures of the supply line after it was flipped but it is done. Hopefully correctly. I'll post up a shot later and confirm that it looks right to those of you that have done this.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2009, 07:56 PM

Took a picture of the fuel supply line that I flopped over to the passenger side. Not really loving the way its unsupported so i will have to address that at one point but is there any particular angle that better than the way I have it? I would assume that since its already swapped any minor tweaking needed to line up when installed should be fairly simple.

Another shot, but essentially the same angle.

I did however notice a potential problem. I don't know if this is something that i forgot, misplaced or how it got here. Maybe leftover from a prior mechanical repair but this little washer/seal was laying here.

A shot from the rear of the motor.

Anyone recognize this little guy and know where it should live?

and to my more important question, with the fuel line addressed (other than making it more secure), anyone see anything else that should be done before dropping it in that will save me some hassle in the future?

Thanks all

Last edited by dntsdad; 04-04-2021 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that little washer goes between the banjo and the fuel rail.you or someone must have taken the bolt all the way out.btw great thead.just got mine running saturday.needs exhaust and small stuff before road worthy.make sure you change the oil sender to the 3.0.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay ive had a question about these california swaps forever. I had my swapped 89 in Colorado and had it smogged while i was there and they didnt even notice it was a different engine then stock. SOOO why cant u just swap this engine and proceed as normal whats the deal with having to tell anyone u did it?

Okay on to more pressing issues

3.4 Power Steering Idle Up switch is on the highside banjo were the 3.0 Idle up is on the PUMP. obviously this has been answered several times but its easy to just braze an adapter onto this banjo and use a hydraulic hose to the steel lines.

as far as the ac i used the 3.0 Plate on 3.4 R134 pump then Blew the condenser and evap out with air, (removing all oil) then i replaced the Accumulator. they are cheap. Then made a small conversion harness so i could use the 3.4 A/C amplifier. And replaced the 3.0 A/C amp with the 3.4 A/C amp. Then charged and used the A/C for a year before my cone filter rubbed a hole in the line and let the freon Blow everywhere.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:25 PM

I bought the 2 day subscription to techinfo and i have downloaded everything I can find on the motor, trans, emissions, fuel, ignition, etc.

However moving to the wiring I am finding that it is very general for a "1997 Toyota 4Runner". I was thinking that this was something that I would enter the VIN and then get specific diagrams for THIS VEHICLE and then also my 92 pickup. Is that not correct? If I am correct anyone remember the procedure? I have been pushing buttons for a while here now and not seeing anything that lets me enter a specific vehicle.

Edit**** I have pretty much downloaded everything for the 97 Runner now and have tried to move to my 92 pickup to grab all the EWD's for that and there is nothing. When I enter the model, year, division, etc. it shows "no Results".

Strange as well that when I choose Toyota ->pickup--> it only shows up to 92

am i doing something wrong here? Did you guys get EWD's for you 90's trucks?

EDIT AGAIN****Ok I could delete all this and save myself looking like a total idiot but in case someone doing this swap, or searching later, has the same issue, here is why I couldn't find the 92 pickup. Well, unlike everything I have ever seen in search Toyota parts, the truck is not listed as a "pickup" although it is in the drop down menu to select the vehicle you want. Its under "truck" which of course is further down and I didn't notice until the 40th time I looked.

So not pickup but truck.

Last edited by dntsdad; 04-04-2021 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:25 PM

sorry should have told u sooner but the first time u do one of these swaps and your own wiring u should really really subscribe for a month.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:40 PM

To answer your question on the swap in California. I think its safe to say that a different motor would easily be read by the smog machine or at least the tech's eyes and that would not be good here. Everything has to be approved by the ref and then you take your chances with mods afterwords.

SO the info is not specific to the vehicle then for the wiring on techinfo? am I correct on that or am I missing where I enter the VIN? This expires at midnight and Id rather grab everything I can but I could always spend another $15 later if I had to. That's probably the cheapest thing so far!!

I keep hearing that each harness/ECM setup is so unique but this is just really vanilla and nothing more than just a diagram for every 1997 runner?
Old 12-11-2009, 06:52 PM

The days of an 18 year old kid sticking a sniffer up the tail pipe have been gone for some years now.

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...Procedures.pdf

Very, very difficult for stations to cheat now.

The manuals are model specific, not VIN. I did the month subscription to make sure I had every manual for every potential donor vehicle I might need info about. That and a copy of the Toyota EPC are your best friends during the swap.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by cadman

The manuals are model specific, not VIN. I did the month subscription to make sure I had every manual for every potential donor vehicle I might need info about. That and a copy of the Toyota EPC are your best friends during the swap.
EPC? whats that one? I have been figuring out all these acronyms, but not sure on this one.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:58 PM

Ok so going through the techinfo site again tonight getting more stuff and I grabbed a pretty cool overall diagrams of the Runner. Much like you would see in a CHilton or something else over a series of 20 pages or so.

I cant find anything like that for my 92 pickup. I have looked in every drop folder a few times but still not seeing anything. However, beings that it took me a solid hour to even find the truck last night, my confidence is not soaring.

Anyone recall if there is such overall EWD of the whole truck? Anyone have the PDF that they can share?
Old 12-11-2009, 09:51 PM

Electronic Parts Catalog.

There are fewer manuals for the earlier trucks. There is no EWD for my truck, so I used the ones for a '93 truck and '91 4Runner for reference. The one for the 4Runner is more comprehensive than the '93 truck's. If you can use it I can e-mail it to you.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:01 PM

sure I'll take it. I was thinking of grabbing some stuff for a few years above mine as well but I'll take what you got.

dntsdad@comcast.net
Old 12-11-2009, 11:05 PM

Sorry i didnt get back to you guys sooner. i fell asleep right after responding to your earlier posts. ill dig thru my stuff and see what i can come up with but 89-94 trucks were very similar in there wiring. there are some differences but not alot. the main wiring diagrams u are going to need are engine, trans, 4x4, A/C, and Console. I have to go dig in my backup disks but i have most everything from 90 to 99 4runner and Pickups.

Last edited by thefallman; 12-12-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:09 PM

oh and the electronic parts catalog comes in really handy for ordering connectors and connector inserts. Then u just get to call toyota up and tell them u need such and such Part #, instead of trying to get the dumb moron of a parts guy to find exactly what your describing. Most of them have never looked up anything more complicated then a oil pan. although once and a great while u run into one that loves figuring stuff out and looking thru his parts books and thats Carlos at Abajin Toyota Scion in Walla Walla, WA greatest parts guy u will find.

Last edited by thefallman; 12-11-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:51 AM

I'll take what you have Fallman. thanks

I started reading through the EWD's this morning. Man, I hope I am not in over my head.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:26 PM

Rained all day yesterday pretty hard, at least for here, and couldn't get much done other than switch the runner into the garage. Doing that in the pouring rain meant that we were soaked since we had to push it around on floor jacks for wheels and steering since I sold the wheels and tires for it.

Anyway, decided to rip the transmission and transfer case out so all I should need still from the Runner is the electrical parts that I will use here and there. There was a lot of buildup on the outside although it didn't leak here and when i picked it up I noticed that there was no oil spot in the driveway and from the shape of his garage its obvious that it was never parked in there.

I did notice that the fitting for the cooler line was loose. Extremely loos. Not even finger tight and if for the elbowed fitting for the hose, it surely would have fallen out. I'll have to clean it up and tighten that up.

Today I made a bracket for the EVAP box. It turned out pretty well for my limited metal working skills and tools. I borrowed a buddy's welder and had some old flat bar laying around and went at it. This was kind of a finicky task as the angles on both ears are different and also vary in height. There is also a fender bolt that is in the way and a bump(for lack of a better term) on the bottom of the fender and kept it from laying flat, so the I notched out the top of the bracket to accommodate those. Obviously this is the last shot as I have it primed and ready to paint.

Installed in place

Starting looking through all the EWD's over the past few days and most of it I think I have a handle on. A couple of very major things are still not working through my head though. There are a few plugs that I know are vital that I just can not see on the EWD's.

These are the plugs that are on the Motor harness:

and these are their mates in the cab:

As stupid as it seems, I cant find them anywhere on my EWD's. Anyone help me with this? Post a pic of a EWD or what page and area its at?

And one more thing......in this plug for example some of the terminals have an x and some have a dot. I figure the x means that there is nothing there but the dot I am not sure what that means.

Last edited by dntsdad; 04-04-2021 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:54 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
hey man ive been following your swap , may do a 3.4 in the future . Just thought id chime in on your question about the dots . they just mean that they are occupied but not being used for the specific system . example . the page you posted was for engine control plug c-11 shows 4,5 an x and some dots so the 4,5 are used for the engine control system circuit, the the dots are occupied but dont apply to the engine control sytem .

hope that helps and good luck !!
Old 12-13-2009, 10:56 PM

not sure if its mentioned, but the ttora have some good free manuals that I used for my swap...didnt read the whole thread...yet

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/index.html

I went back and fourth between tacoma and 4runner manuals to be able to find all the relevant info, all the important stuff seems to be the same. Its a lot of searching around and head scratching but will be so worth it when your charging up a grade holding rpms...sitting on a big shiny accomplishment.

good luck
Old 12-13-2009, 11:05 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
those two plugs are not engine control.. so they wouldnt show on that paper. Those are the body harness plugs and should show on your ewd's for the instrument cluster.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How easy was the tranny to remove? Did you use a tranny jack? I have just a few bolts holding mine in. I'm waiting to hire a tranny jack but really want to not have that $22 a day expense!

Quick Reply: It had officially began, 3.0 auto to 3.4 manual in 92 ex-cab