3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

It had officially began, 3.0 auto to 3.4 manual in 92 ex-cab

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice work man! And I didn't know there was something like that so you don't have to have a shifter so far back! Thanks!!
Old 01-15-2011, 02:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Finishing up the shifters this morning.

The issues I have been fighting is trying to keep the factory shift console and having this look as factory as possible. I have already bent/cut the the tranny shifter and the transfer case shifters as much as I can to avoid cutting the shift console but there came a point that the shifter was hitting the transfer case shifter when the tranny shifter was in 1st or 3rd and the transfer case shifters were all the way forward. I got them adjusted to be as close as possible without touching and it was clear that I was going to have to cut so the transfer case shifters could have full travel rearward.

This is what I started with.

And the after picture.

Picked up a few new parts and they arrived from Toyota of Dallas. I snapped them for parts number reference for future lookie-loos. Trans shifter seal and slinger, boot, and crossmember to frame bolts.

I had to remove the metal bracket where the rear console screws to the shift console so I ran some plumbers strap across the mounting holes and screwed the two pieces together, got everything mounted and then ran a screw through the plumbers strap through the floorboard to keep everything tight and rattle free. If I had the means and ability to make slick brackets, I probably could have done something nicer but this will work, and its out of sight so it doesn't look like the okie fix that it is.

Turned out pretty good. I am not loving the cut and I may go back and cut it all the way across rather than the sectioning that I did. However, it does work well and the shifter is very smooth, especially considering the linkage rather than a direct socket fitting. I honestly couldn't be happier with it other than a few very minor things that I think could be better. Definitely worth the money considering a twin stick will cost you just about the same amount.

Installed and ready to try out.............just have to wait for a Davez to build me a driveline though!!

Last edited by dntsdad; 04-05-2021 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:23 PM

I been really busy but I got some time today to work on this thing. Very frustrating cause I really have is some loose ends to tidy up to get this back on the road. I really hate snow wheeling so I am in not that much of a hurry but would still like it to go!!

I ordered some oil for the dual cases and the transmission. I have been researching oil a lot lately and it seems the consensus is the Redline is the stuff to get so I figured I will try it.

You are looking at $130

I also have had a new driveline sitting here that i got back from Davez Off Road. Dave is a really nice guy and the quality of this thing is excellent. I went with a one piece this time rather than go back to the two piece with the carrier bearing.

Bolted the stock downpipe and cat up and everything fits really well. This is completely unmodified for reference for others looking at this. I simply bolted it up.

Pictures of the clearance using a Trail-Gear dual case crossmember.

Now I just have to fab up this bracket to support the crossover to the bellhousing. Luckily I didn't lose it along this whole process.

I also have never had the oil pressure gauge working. I spent a little time checking into it but then set it on the back burner. A buddy and I hit some scrapyards the other day and there was a 94 Runner that had the cluster in it so I grabbed the oil pressure gauge and swapped it out today. Now everything works perfectly. Do not know what happened as the oil pressure gauge worked before the swap. I must have damaged it along the way. Works now so that's all I care about.

I did notice that now my fan it going to rub on the bottom of the shroud so the TG crossmember must have changed the angle of the motor. I'll have to adjust or cut it, or possibly change to an electric fan

What is the right one for these truck? Taurus I think but I will have to research for the right year spread.

I was about to take it out for a cruise and I had to leave to attend my nephews birthday party so another day............

I am starting to research and try to buy parts for a straight axle swap. That is intimidating me a bit I have to admit. I wanted to get a kit from Marlin but he got out of that business. I am leary of the Trail-Gear products and I have heard mixed reviews about Allpro and Sky as well. Oh well...........more research and reading!!

Last edited by dntsdad; 04-05-2021 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:23 PM

Took it for a trip to the gas station and the dual cases are ridiculous. I accidentally had it in 2x4 and 4x4 and I was doing about 25 in 5th gear topped out......

Dual low is insane its so slow.

I gotta get use to all the gears and shifters and what everything does!!

I think that this thread is about done as far as the 3.4 swap goes so unless I change something, I dont know what else to update. Next task will be a SAS and that doesnt really fit in this forum.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:55 PM

Usually I don't like to comment about other sites, but since yotatech, isn't a parts vender it should be all right. Trail-gear to me has been great. I would only ever use their parts. My 93 had all trail-gear, and I loved it! They are great to work with, will answer any of your questions, and their parts are top notch. Just my 2 cents though.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:55 PM

Oh and glad to hear that your swap is almost complete! CONGRATS!!
Old 02-20-2011, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by hamish_18
Oh and glad to hear that your swap is almost complete! CONGRATS!!
Thanks! I'll post back when I get the exhaust completed. It's just running through the CAT right now and sounds like a Fast and Furious truck.
Gives me damn headache

Originally Posted by hamish_18
Usually I don't like to comment about other sites, but since yotatech, isn't a parts vender it should be all right. Trail-gear to me has been great. I would only ever use their parts. My 93 had all trail-gear, and I loved it! They are great to work with, will answer any of your questions, and their parts are top notch. Just my 2 cents though.
I am running a few Trail-Gear parts and they have all worked as the should. I used their V-6 adapter, 2 "Bomb Proof" transfer case mounts, and the crossmember. All of them worked as intended and I had/have no complaints.

I think that there is no doubt that they are a cheaper version than a Marlin or Inchworm product but may work for someone for many years. My theory has been that if it spins or seals, I will use Marlin(I replaced the TG seal in the V6adapter kit with a Marlin EcoSeal). For a chunk of metal (V6 adapter, crossmember) I dont mind the TG stuff.

To me the analogy of tools is a good one. If I need a tool that is accurate, will work "forever", and is comfortable to use I buy a name brand. I enjoy woodworking and buy as much Delta, Jet, Incra, Powermatic, etc. tools that i can find. There is a company called Grizzly that is the equivalent to a TG. Chinese made for the most part and monetarily "cheap". Many people love them and I have had their tools as well including a cabinet saw and an 8" jointer and they worked fine but had to constantly be fiddled with to be accurate. If you buy a Delta Unisaw, chances are it will outlast you. Of course it COULD break, like a Marlin product, but the chances are lower than the inferior product.

Just my opinion. Do not want to start a debate over TG vs. Marlin in my thread. There are already thousands of those all over the net.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:08 PM

First off, great job on your swap. I ended up on it because I swapped a 3.4 into my 85 and like you had a one point, I have this REALLY annoying trouble code that I can't get figure out. Long story but, I keep getting the neutral safety code. Did you find the info from TIS to be what ehlped you get to the bottom of the problem or, did you get it fixed because of the information from your mysterious friend?
Old 02-26-2011, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Do Over
First off, great job on your swap. I ended up on it because I swapped a 3.4 into my 85 and like you had a one point, I have this REALLY annoying trouble code that I can't get figure out. Long story but, I keep getting the neutral safety code. Did you find the info from TIS to be what ehlped you get to the bottom of the problem or, did you get it fixed because of the information from your mysterious friend?
Thanks for the compliment.

I have not had a pesky trouble code. I just couldn't get my monitor to run correctly but that was my fault for overlooking an EVAP hose.

I would just Google your code and/or search over at Ttora.com. That is the best Taco forum on the net I think. There is also mucho useful info here in the Taco forum.

LOL!! My "mysterious friend" with all the conversion goodies is Jeff Mosk. His work is in the sticky threads here now though, so he is EVERYONE'S friends now!! Pretty sure that I gave him credit earlier in this thread, after he outed himself. I just wanted to avoid him getting 500 requests from people wanting him to make them a conversion chart Jeff is a good guy.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:10 PM

Congrats, Jason - the swap is looking really good.

Do Over: Are you running an auto or a manual tranny? if a manual, is it possible you have an ECU from an automatic?
Old 02-27-2011, 07:14 AM

Nevermind!! I misread!

Last edited by dntsdad; 02-27-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by mosk
Congrats, Jason - the swap is looking really good.

Do Over: Are you running an auto or a manual tranny? if a manual, is it possible you have an ECU from an automatic?
Auto. I purchased a 2000 4 Runner from a guy that rolled his off the 15 during a rain storm. It was a 2 wheel drive auto. I used the Inchworm adapter to mate my duals. My 85 was a 5 speed and that may be the problem. Not sure why since I took everything from the 2000. I think I have a wire crossed somewhere along the way.

Originally Posted by dntsdad
Thanks for the compliment.

I have not had a pesky trouble code. I just couldn't get my monitor to run correctly but that was my fault for overlooking an EVAP hose.

I would just Google your code and/or search over at Ttora.com. That is the best Taco forum on the net I think. There is also mucho useful info here in the Taco forum.

LOL!! My "mysterious friend" with all the conversion goodies is Jeff Mosk. His work is in the sticky threads here now though, so he is EVERYONE'S friends now!! Pretty sure that I gave him credit earlier in this thread, after he outed himself. I just wanted to avoid him getting 500 requests from people wanting him to make them a conversion chart Jeff is a good guy.
I read thru the thread and found the pin out diagrams. I will use that and down load what I need from TIS to start tracing wires.

Thanks to each of you for the response. The two of you have 1000 times more patience that I do. Great job with all your hard work and thanks for sharing. I will start a build up thread so you can motivate me to finish this thing up.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:58 PM

So I went out today and noticed that my fan is broken. Split across the ring on the outside perimeter.

Not sure how the hell that happened but I need to replace it.

How many of you guys are running the 3.4 without the ring around the outside. Any flow difference that anyone knows of? Those seem to be a bit easier to find used so i was trying to keep my options open.

Clutch and fan were stock 3.0 and that seemed to work well.

Not sure that I want to swap to electric.

Last edited by dntsdad; 04-05-2021 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
That sucks man.

I've never used the ring one but have used both the 3.0 and 3.4 fans without any issues. I also don't run the plastic thing that goes over the radiator. The thing that surrounds the fan. Usually they go missing. I never seem to buy a vehicle or do a swap on a vehicle that still has one.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:18 PM

Hi Greg

You never have issues without the shroud? Even when crawling slow on a trail?
Old 06-19-2011, 03:44 PM

ive been shroud-less for a year or so now and have never had any issues. even in the phoenix heat last summer the guage never got above normal.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:02 PM

but have you ever watched your actual temps? The gauge is very mis leading. The normal spot on the gauge has a range from like 170 to 220 or something crazy. Once it starts moving you are already pretty hot. Just to put my 2 cents in. I had an e-fan, and it didn't work very well. It was a cheaper pro-comp, ebay special. I didn't have the fan shroud either. I then went with the taurus fan mod, and put that in with the shroud. wow what a difference. I don't know if it was just adding the shroud or what, but my temps have never been better. And if I am crawling I just flip it to the hi speed.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:15 AM

Well I am not having a good time finding a damn fan, which is ridiculous since so many 3.0 motor are out there so I may have to look into the Taurus fan swap eventually.

I read about it a long time ago but I have forgotten everything I read since then,
Old 06-23-2011, 05:03 PM

The fans get brittle over time with exposure to heat, the elements, etc... so you don't really want to buy a used one.

I do have a new, never used, OEM Toyota fan with the ring if your interested.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by cadman
The fans get brittle over time with exposure to heat, the elements, etc... so you don't really want to buy a used one.

I do have a new, never used, OEM Toyota fan with the ring if your interested.

Probably out of my price range (i was hoping to spend no more than $20......I am a cheap bastard). Send me a PM on what you want for it though.

Jason

Quick Reply: It had officially began, 3.0 auto to 3.4 manual in 92 ex-cab