Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is awesome man! congrats
Old 02-17-2010, 07:20 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
been following your thread for a while and waiting for your report on the ref..

Congrats on the sticker man !!!!

Now im really worried about my 1uz swap , im not using the stock manifolds from the ls 400 1uz but the stock exhaust from a 4.7 2uz tundra , with ls 400 1uz cats.

Im going to have to just take it to them like this and see what happens .Damn!!

again congrats , i bet it feels great to get that sticker..
Old 02-17-2010, 09:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
man it does! what a relief.

I would go talk to your local ref. My guy was really cool but firm you could tell. I dont blame him though. He has a job to do and its our job to know the rules. I respect that.

I just started reading up on that 1uz swap. Are those bellhousing adapters really like $2000?? Or am i getting that wrong? I was thinking of that in my own truck down the road. This one is actually my sons.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bellhousing adapters for the 1uz I have found on the low end of $650. But the clutch kit is $750 for the pressure plate and clutch and $650 for the flywheel. So yeah over 2 grand. I'm debating the manual swap when I do my 1uz engine swap. But its hard to not go with a $650 prerunner adapter and keep it auto.

On another note. Congrats on the ref. Good work on the swap. How you liking it?
Old 02-18-2010, 04:50 PM

I'll stick with the 3.4 LOL Holy cow.

I love the swapped motor. Runs so much better its indescribable.

I cant imagine how well those supercharged swaps run!
Old 02-18-2010, 07:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
See, didn't I tell you that you'd have way more fun with the 3.4?

Well done, good sir.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:00 PM

Ya Rob I am so glad i listen tho those that said dont waste the time and money on rebuilding the 3.0.

This is just so much better and simpler design as far as just about everything goes.

Thanks for the help and advice along the way.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It is quite a bit simpler, for sure...vacuum hoses alone make it a worthwhile swap.

You have more power and you'll probably notice better fuel economy, as well. It's win-win.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:15 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
hey jason did you grab anything else that was hooked up to the 3.4 ac amp? could you send me pictures the ac amp and anything thats hooked up to it. Also of the 3.0 amp just so i can see what you've got .
Old 02-19-2010, 05:25 AM

I'll take some shots tonight of what I have.

I have everything from the Runner still. I didnt want to get rid of anything at all.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wont you have a problem with the ref again later if u swap to manual since your sticker says automatic????
Old 02-22-2010, 05:35 PM

HOnestly I dont know about that. I dont think so but I may. I have to find that out. I forgot to ask
Old 03-12-2010, 12:49 AM

Nice work!

Couple questions for you or anyone that may know,

Did you stay with the 3.0l oil pan, dipstick, pick-up, and modified 3.4l baffle?

I may have missed it, but what ended up being the culprit behind the high idle?

Lastly, is there any chance at all that the stock 3.4l crossover will clear the R150 slave cylinder and starter? I do not have torsion bars and fuel/brake lines are expendable.

I will be going down this identical route with an '00 Auto into a '92 Manual.

Thanks
Old 03-12-2010, 02:01 PM

Hi there, I just joined the forums because I was looking into doing a similar swap on my AUTOMATIC '94 Xtra cab. Everything has been extremely helpful but I had some questions that were pretty specific and similar to this swap so I figured I'd ask them here. If I should ask somewhere else just let me know. Anyways on to the question, I am considering using a MANUAL '96 4Runner as my doner vehicle. everything is intact and in working condition on it. Can I just take the engine, wiring, tranny, etc out of the 4runner and put it straight in the Pickup or will I need after-market parts. I've already looked at the guides but there is so much information it's starting to make my head spin. Any help is appreciated, Thanks
Old 03-12-2010, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Cole Brooks
Nice work!

Couple questions for you or anyone that may know,

Did you stay with the 3.0l oil pan, dipstick, pick-up, and modified 3.4l baffle? Yes, I used all the old 3.0 stuff other than the baffle.

I may have missed it, but what ended up being the culprit behind the high idle? I honestly have no idea. It idles like for a few days and then went to normal and it has not been an issue since. I wish i know but I'll take it working right.

Lastly, is there any chance at all that the stock 3.4l crossover will clear the R150 slave cylinder and starter? I do not have torsion bars and fuel/brake lines are expendable.
I do not think so. I have talked to a few guys that are much smarter than I am and they couldnt get it to work. If you are not in California and do not need to worry about smog them something maybe could work. Using the stock crossover isnt the issue but the downtube and not being able to modify it according to Ca. law. If you dont have to deal with that, and also not torsion bars, then it may be possible

I will be going down this identical route with an '00 Auto into a '92 Manual.

Thanks
There are some shots in my thread of the clearance for the downpipe that may help to gauge whether it work fit like you want.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by 925wheeler
Hi there, I just joined the forums because I was looking into doing a similar swap on my AUTOMATIC '94 Xtra cab. Everything has been extremely helpful but I had some questions that were pretty specific and similar to this swap so I figured I'd ask them here. If I should ask somewhere else just let me know. Anyways on to the question, I am considering using a MANUAL '96 4Runner as my doner vehicle. everything is intact and in working condition on it. Can I just take the engine, wiring, tranny, etc out of the 4runner and put it straight in the Pickup or will I need after-market parts. I've already looked at the guides but there is so much information it's starting to make my head spin. Any help is appreciated, Thanks
There are a lot of other steps to do other than that. Moving the battery, wiring, EVAP, airbox, etc. Read up and then if you have specific questions there are many great guys here that will help you out.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by dntsdad
There are some shots in my thread of the clearance for the downpipe that may help to gauge whether it work fit like you want.
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I am a CA resident so my swap would need to adhere to the rules assuming the vehicle/registration
does infact require a smog check. I have both the stock crossover as well as TRD headers to try and make work. My worry is the exhaust flanges clearing the slave cylinder. I really just need to mock it up.

Do you know ANYONE on this forum board that has succesfully pulled this off? Major modificatoin permitted not altering the smog rules.

Good thing I have the auto tranny and ecu that came with my engine...
Old 03-18-2010, 09:42 PM

I have read and talked to a few who have tried but nobody that I have heard of have been successful.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:44 PM

Thanks guys, great thread. I'm in the middle of the swap myself. I totaled my other truck in the begining stages and now I'm rushing this ahead, nice to find good detailed info here for a change
Old 06-11-2010, 02:40 AM

That is brilliant sir, Wow, it just sucks that the manual transmission would interfere with the stock cat position. I read it 2 hours long and was hoping to do the same exact swap!!! PLUS BARRED as well. i bet that 3.4 must feel good with a better economical status!! Im also located in Fresno, maybe if i ever do get a chance to start this journey, I can contact you for further info. Thanks for the thread! How was the harnes conersion like? PITA????

Last edited by GBK_2slow; 06-11-2010 at 02:41 AM.

Quick Reply: It had officially began, 3.0 auto to 3.4 manual in 92 ex-cab