Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Q's concerning my Yota's problems...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q's concerning my Yota's problems...

Hey everyone,

Well I'm new here and you all seem to have more collective wisdom about Toys than any mechanic I could ever find...

Anyway, I have a 90 Yota V6 3.0L SR5 with approx. 238,000 miles on it. I just bought it a couple of months ago and it runs awesome. I only paid $3,500 for it, so I'm pretty satisfied regardless of the miles. Plus it looks badass. Here's the main problems it has...

1.) It leaks power steering fluid like a mofo from the driver's side... seems to be coming from the power steering box... I've seen the page posted on here about replacing the gaskets and whatnot. I also heard that theres some bolts you can tighten that may fix the problem...?

2.) It leaks coolant. It drips from the oil pan, the leak seems to be somewhere above the oil pan on the passenger side... is this a hose or the water pump?

3.) I put it up on jacks and the passenger side wheel is wobbly...? The lug nuts are tight, what is this caused by?

For having so many miles... I can only give respect to this truck for being such a soldier. It has plenty of power, I've taken it up in the mountains (I live in Colorado) lots of times and it always handles great. Except for one time my shifter broke on me. It scared me ÅÅÅÅless because I was at the very top of a mountain 4x4ing and I could only shift into 3rd and 4rth. I found a page on the net about replacing the rubber boot and stuff in the shifter and got that fixed.

Any tips on getting these problems fixed would REALLY be awesome.

One more thing... I already got in a fender bender with it. I was wondering how to remove the front bumper? I want to either try to bend it back or replace it but I can't get the damn thing off!!! I can't find the bolts or anything holding it on... is it welded on? lol sorry I'm such an amateur mechanic!

last but not least.. YOTAS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-06-2005, 08:06 PM
Banned

welcome to the site 1-dont know 2- could be either, im not there so i cant veryofy 3-same as 2 but probably wheel bearings or loose suspension parts, balljoints tie rod ends
Old 04-07-2005, 02:09 AM
Contributing Member

#2 is something to keep an eye on...could be a head gasket. Call Toyota's national number and run your VIN to see if you quallify for the head gasket replacement. there is also a coolant hose (heater, I think) hiding behind the engine, at the back of the intake manifold. It's hard to see, but it can wear down from rubbing, and leak. Keep an eye on your coolant and check your oil for that 'milkshake' look.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:16 AM

3 - is probably ball joints...

Last edited by green91runner; 04-07-2005 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The front bumper bolts to the front of the frame, there's a bracket on either side, just above the tow hooks, I thnk 2-3 bolts in there. There's also smaller brackets at each end, hidden behind the inner fender liner. On a 90 make sure you spray the bolts with some kind of penetrating oil first, they'll probably be rusty. When I took mine of last year I broke the bolts in the end brackets.

As for the other things
1. sounds like you need to rebuild the steering box, or get abother one, I don't know about any bolts you can tighten

2. could be water pump or a hose, you'll have to pull the skid pan and see if you can see where it's leaking from, a hose is an easy fix, water pump not so easy

3. either loose wheel bearing, or ball joints, neither of which are very major repairs.

Last edited by eric-the-red; 04-07-2005 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1. power steering box leaks are best fixed with a rebuild. trust me, that lucas stop leak doesn't work

2. find the highest point where you can see coolant from. my money is on a leaky water pump, as the coolant passages that can leak from a head gasket usually leak out the sides of the block.