Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Changing real old fluids

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing real old fluids

Just got done reading some of the tech articles about flushing brakes and tranny fluid and all. The tranny fluid, brake fluid and diff. lube have never been changed since I got the 4 runner used with 45000 miles on it. It now has 135000 miles on it.:rolleyes: Im wanting to buy the powerflush for the brake system. I think that needs to be done and it should go without a problem. I also read Gadgets writeup about the tranny flush. Although I dont think the tranny fluid smells burnt or shows particals in it, Im wondering if I will kill it by flushing at this late date? Also, could there be any problems caused by changing the Diff. lube? Any reason to use synthetic on the tranny (if I flush it) or the diffs? I use synthetic in the engine. I do tow a 2500 boat about 10 miles round trip to a local lake on weekends, and have towed it about 400 miles round trip twice in the last 2 years. So, what to flush and what not to flush?
Old 06-29-2002, 11:12 PM

Cool

Hey Mon. The tranny flush ala Gadget needs to be done at a shop that has that total flush machine. Most quickie joints don't have 'em. I went to a tranny shop. Labor only was about $150. I supplied my own Amsoil ATF...used about 20 quarts. Close to 300 bucks for the total job. Shifts nice and smooth (noticeable improvement ) and worth the peace of mind. Diffs are an easy drain and fill. Go Amsoil too. With the towing and stuff you do, your truck will love you. I have all Amsoil fluids in my Runner, I like knowing I've done my part to keep it running good.
butnut
Old 07-07-2002, 01:42 PM

that has got me to thinking as to should i change my tranny fluid or not?
there is no chance of getting a shop to do it as that is not somthing thathas ever been offered in the uk as far as i know so would you recomend a drain and refill?
I have herd horror stories about draining and re filling causing the tranny to give up the ghost?
any thoughts?
Old 07-13-2002, 09:48 AM

If you are to do a tranny fluid change to synthetic, I'd recommend trying your hardest to find a place that will do the full flush. Mine was changed out last year so I'm waiting another 20,000 miles or so and then I'm changing out diff/tranny fluid to synthetic.

If your transmission fluid is still in good shape and it doesn't look like there are any problems w/your tranny, you'll most likely be fine.

Synthetic will be much nicer on your transmission, especially if you tow/haul things. Do it for a performance improvement, but also to extend the life of your tranny.