Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Brakes again....

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes again....

Well tomorrow I'm doing my front pads and I was thinking I could do the rear drums as well. Are the drums difficult to do? I've never done drums before. Is there a way to proportion front and rear braking? It seems like my front is getting most of the work.

Thanks
Old 01-31-2004, 08:07 PM

well ive never done rear brakes but i hear they can be a PITA......especially getting the drum off. you might wanna do that first and check the thickness to see if you should even bother replacing them if you are that worried that theyre worn.

your front brakes are designed to do most of the stopping (because your weight is thrown forward when you slow down).

if you were able to make more braking power go to the rear theyd most likely just be locking up all the time and cause instablilty.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:40 PM

I've never replaced the drums since I've had it. It currently has 90k miles on it I was just curious because a bit of noise is coming from one of the drums when I apply the brake. I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I brake them down...
Old 01-31-2004, 08:51 PM

Drums are really easy. They are self adjusting. Just replace the shoes. If the shoes don't want to come out easily I suggest a little love tap from a rubber mallet.

The front brakes wear much faster than the rear drums.

Good luck and remember to wipe the dust in the drums.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:41 PM

Getting all the springs and clips on drums installed without a handy-dandy "brake tool" is rather difficult. While it can be done with screw drivers and pliers, it's not easy that way.

Getting things adjusted take a little work, and also is not at all easy without a "brake adjusting tool" Again, it can be done with a screwdriver, but isn't fun. Especially when it comes to relaxing them.

All in all, doing drums takes a good bit more work then doing discs. I'd recommend doing them with someone who knows how. It will save you a lot of agravation.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:12 PM

Ditto to what foxtrapper said, especially about the brake spring tool. My advice is to do one side at a time. That way you can refer to the other side should you forget how things go back together.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Brakes again....

Originally posted by data
Well tomorrow I'm doing my front pads and I was thinking I could do the rear drums as well. Are the drums difficult to do? I've never done drums before. Is there a way to proportion front and rear braking? It seems like my front is getting most of the work.

Thanks
Got a FSM or a Haynes / Chiltons manual? if not get one. The brakes are straight forward and illustrated fairly well in a Haynes manual. Also there is a porpotioning valve that can be adjusted (also in the manual), but be careful playing with that, like was said earlier you can give the rear to much brake and lock them up every time you apply them.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:11 AM
Nic

I have changed rear drum brakes one time in my life. It was on my 84 Camry. What a pain in the a**.

I still have my car and I think I will pay to have it done in future. That goes for my truck too. If you don't have the special tools it can be tedious with screwdriverws and pliers. If you do try, do like Arnold sais and only do one side at a time so you can compare. But, if your vehicle doesn't need it, I wouldn't screw with it. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Arnold
Ditto to what foxtrapper said, especially about the brake spring tool. My advice is to do one side at a time. That way you can refer to the other side should you forget how things go back together.
Good advice. Just keep in mind that the two sides are mirror images of each other. What is on the left on one side will be on the right on the other.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:38 PM

Update

Well I got both drums off tonight. I ended up cracking the passenger side one. The passenger side had huge grooves in it, so it looks like I'll have to replace the drum anyways. Well I found out what all the clanking noise was. It appeared that my springs that hold the pads in (the ones in the middle) were missing somehow So I'll have to go to the dealership and pick up those little springs and a new drum.
Old 02-17-2004, 05:40 PM

Ok got the brakes done. Now all I have to do is adjust the parking brake and it'll be all good then Wooohooooooo!!!!! Drums are a pain....