Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

2nd Gen No power to rear glass wiper/washer/heater

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd Gen No power to rear wiper/washer/defrost

Whats wrong? I canīt found any fuses to them. Rear window motor works fine.

Last edited by -MaTTi-; 05-19-2005 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This could be a number of things.... First off it could be the switch itself on your steering colum. It could be that the motor itself is burt out. It could be a main fuse under hood. Could be wiring. And lastly it could be that both the up and down relay are shot on the solid state board....

FIrstly check ALL of your fuses. The ones on the driver's side kick and those under hood. Pull each and every one and take a look at it...

Check the motor for operation by applying 12v and a ground to it. Reverse polarity to check operation back up.

If that works use a DMM to check the front switch. When the switch is set to on, the resistance of the switch should be very low. Typically all switches on the Toyota are ground interrupts. Closing a switch gives the electronics a ground and completes the circuit.

Check the OEM wiring harness for continuity back to the solid state board.

If it checks out it's the solid state relays found on your circuit board in the back, underneath the drivers side rear quarter panel. The board is in a black box btwn the cargo holder and the tail light on the drivers side.

Upon opening you will see 4 realys soldered to the board. Replace all four with 275-005 relays from radioshack, this will require the use of a desoldering bulb to suck the OEM solder out when it turns molten...

Im working on an indepth write up on working on the solid state board....

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 10-10-2004 at 06:52 AM.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:59 AM

All of those functions appear to be controlled by the rear power window limit switch. If it doesn't detect a fully closed window, none of them will function.
Perusing my newly acquired factory electrical wiring diagram for my '93 4Runner, if I read it correctly, they all run through an integration relay to a 10a fuse. The fuse should be located in the driver side kick panel.
So, check the fuse, then check and make sure the window is actually fully closed.
Should give you somewhere to start anyway.

Whoops...the wiper runs to a 20a fuse, but it does still appear to also be controlled by the power window limit switch.

Last edited by Fahrenheit 451; 10-10-2004 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes however if the problem is that fuse or the limit switch, then his rear window wouldn't work either. He said it does. This would infer that it's not the limit switch being at fault. Usually there is a beeping sound if you try to roll up the window without the limit switch being tripped.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
Yes however if the problem is that fuse or the limit switch, then his rear window wouldn't work either. He said it does. This would infer that it's not the limit switch being at fault. Usually there is a beeping sound if you try to roll up the window without the limit switch being tripped.
The window motor runs through the rear power window control relay separate from the power window limit switch and is powered through a separate 30a fuse isn't it? I do see now that there is power coming through the 20a wiper fuse into the power window control relay so there are a few different fused circuits involved.
Isn't the beeping sound caused by the back door lock detection switch (although the sound actually comes out of the rear power window control relay) when the rear door isn't completely closed?
Damn all these colors and squiggly lines!
I'll figure out these diagrams eventually. I have too if I'm ever going to pull off the 7mge swap!
I surrender. It's Sunday and I shouldn't have to think this hard
Old 05-17-2005, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit 451
The window motor runs through the rear power window control relay separate from the power window limit switch and is powered through a separate 30a fuse isn't it? I do see now that there is power coming through the 20a wiper fuse into the power window control relay so there are a few different fused circuits involved.
Isn't the beeping sound caused by the back door lock detection switch (although the sound actually comes out of the rear power window control relay) when the rear door isn't completely closed?
Damn all these colors and squiggly lines!
I'll figure out these diagrams eventually. I have too if I'm ever going to pull off the 7mge swap!
I surrender. It's Sunday and I shouldn't have to think this hard

Back to business... I have no time to repair this thing last time. No I decided to repair it, takes what it takes.

Ok, now I measure the motor. I get no power to it, so the failure is somewhere else. Window motor is ok. Window limit switch is ok, BACK DOOR light is on when window is down. Turns off when going up. Tried to bypass it, no change, BACK DOOR light is on all the time. Beeping -sound is ok when door is open and trying to get window up.

Thereīs no clic -sound (relay) when I turn the switch ON, INT or washer.

So where are the fuses? Thereīs no just for rear wiper/washer??

I donīt doubt it is the switch. Itīs look and feel like new one. I have never had switch problems with Toyota.

P.S. Rear light at roof donīt work either... Bulb is ok.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:25 PM

The issue that I found with mine.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/2nd-gen-rear-window-problem-53534/
Old 05-19-2005, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by grams72
Thanks. Iīll try this at weekend.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:19 AM

Ok, I found the module box. Everything seemed to be ok, no corrosion or broken fires. Still no working. I thought I continue tomorrow, then the rear window doesnīt work any more! It went up, but doesnīt come down any more. Relays says click to both directions. What caused this?

What I done, was only that I disconnect fire clips, measured them, and connect īem back. I also tried to move the wiper arm by hand (helping the motor by spanner), it moved, I turn whole circle until it came back.

I desided to renew the relays anyway, even if they looks like new ones. Hope it works after that and hope I found the right ones from the electronic shop.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:16 PM

problems continue

Yeehaa, I got new relays: SCHRACK T7NS5D1-12 Look like same than old ones. But... I renew four of them, no change. :cry: I renew two last ones, now rear washer started to work! But nothing else happens.

So,
-my rear window donīt work
____ -I tried to connect it direct to battery, it worked
____ -work also up by key, not by inside switch
____ -I have to clock the rear door by hand until it goes up
____ -BACK DOOR -light doesnīt work
____ -I hear relay says click to both directions while turning the lock, while pushing indoor switch, I canīt hear nothing (yesterday I heard click while push UP, no itīs gone also)
-rear wiper donīt work
____ -never been working while I have own this car
-washer squirts while back window is down

Somebody help me!

Last edited by -MaTTi-; 05-23-2005 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:21 PM

problems solved!

Everything works!

The reason why my rear window didnīt work, was the rear wiper motor. I turned it by hand earlier. Now I turned it again, and then rear window starts to work again. There have to be some kind of limit switch. Thatīs why I get extra problems.

And so I thought maybe there is some switch problem also in back door, I thought I had checked them all, I was right and I was wrong. Thereīs no extra switches I have noticed. But the rear window limit switch was missing! I wonder what for is this extra wire clip... I believed that the back door unlock warn switch is this limit switch. Itīs not. Stupid me! Maybe somebody is sometimes repaired the rear window mechanism and forget to install it back... I connect the wires and everything worked, including rear wiper/washer.

So, I bought 6 relays probably for nothing (cost 17 €).

Last edited by -MaTTi-; 05-26-2005 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Yep, rear wiper limit switch is the most common problem I have listed on my rear window page:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...roubleshooting