Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

What Engine/Driveline?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 04:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Engine/Driveline?

G'day all.

I'm planning a Surf build (and have been for sometime!) and have recently had thoughts/doubts on my engines.

I want to take a SFA Surf and turn it into a Hunting/Expedition/Radio/DD and possibly street legal contest vehicle. Off road will be more mud and river crossings than rock-crawling. Now I've got most of the stuff figured and only having some thoughts on minor stuff e.g Fiddle brakes front and rear or rear only.

However recently I've been having some doubts on my choice of power plant. I had been thinking a 1UZ-FE with a clutched Eaton M-90 blower for torque but recently been thinking do I go diesel and drop a 1KZ-TE,1 or 2KD-FTV, or ultimately a 1VD-FTV (if I can find one).

Here in NZ the diesels are more common than petrols so availability isn't an issue, and the one thing I am unsure on with the 1UZ-FE is waterproofing while in a Diesel it will run as long as it is given fuel and air. Plus if I get a diesel I can get an airstarter (one less electrical thing to get destroyed)

While I'm at it, I want a manual trans with PTO so thats either finding an RF1A xfer (not hard) and the PTO bit (slightly more difficult!) or a Landcruiser set up in it. I am unaware of another Hilux PTO capable box.

So any thoughts or engine suggestions?

Nick
Old 09-09-2012, 10:29 AM

Since you have so many diesel options available, I would go that route. A manual transmission diesel with a legit PTO would be a killer rig. I would keep it as simple as you could since you are trying for durability.

I think the 1UZ-FEs are more suited for desert activity where high revving is desirable.

Whatever you do, post a write up here...want to see this truck in action!
Old 09-09-2012, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey since the diesels are so plentiful and all would ya mind shipping one to me?
Old 09-16-2012, 04:34 AM

Sorry for the late reply.

Man4God. There will be pictures. Lots of pictures. But don't hold your breath for them sorry. Like I said I've been planning it for sometime and was about ready to start earlier this year, then I lost my job. I'm only just starting to get back to my feet now so it will b a while. The other thing is here we have a thing called cert. If you modify certain aspects of your vehicle (Disc conversions, engine swaps to non-standard engine, increase wheel circumference by 5%, Trans swaps. Suspension lifts over 2" and any body lift. Basically everything I am planning) you have to have it have the vehicle certified as safe and they put a plate like this on it.

(I want every field filled on mine btw!)

If you have modified anything that needs cert and don't have that plate you cant get a warrant (kind of like your smog check I think), and you need a warrant to register it. The certification inspection costs $350 each time. Whether you have just put bigger tyres on or basically redone the drive train. Doesn't matter how many mods. Still $350. So I might as well build what I can that doesn't require cert. (exocage-yes i am going to roll it. When, not if. Internals, lockers), while gathering parts/cash then take it off the road and build it.

85Turbo. Come over and get one. Take a few back, couple of stock rear wheel carriers and a few factory SFA diesel double cabs utes and retire rich. (all of which are common as muck here. I actually don't think I've ever seen a IFS pickup. Until joining here, I didn't actually realise they existed)