Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

Pre-purchase swap questions:

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pre-purchase swap questions:

Hello,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I am actively looking for a base 2wd standard cab 2.4L 2001-2004 tacoma. I have full intentions of modifying this truck and one thing for sure is to do an engine swap. Originally, I had wanted to do a 1GR-FE (4.0v6), but reading the forums here makes it appear to be more work than I care to try. However, it seems most people want to place the 1GR into older toyota pickups. Would it be any benefit to placing that motor into this 01-04 tacoma?

Assuming, that idea is dead, I was then planning to swap in a supercharged 3.4v6. It seems, everyone has done that swap, and the same model years tacomas came equipped with this engine. Seems easy.

Now, here are my main questions:

1. When I buy my new truck, should I purchase an automatic, or a 5spd? I am curious to know what is better and easier to have for the swap. Also, (keeping in mind it's an 01-04 tacoma) should I use the engine and trans from the donor truck, or just the engine? I haven't decided which transmission I want for this next truck, so I figured I'd see whats easier to have for the swap.

2. Is there any reason to reconsider the 1GR-FE? Or maybe a 1UZ? My concern with the v8 is the extra weight in the nose. This truck will see some airtime...

Thanks for your help. I have read and searched extensively in here, and need this last bit of advice before I pull the trigger on my next project.