Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

engine installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine installation

need to put a new engine, 3.0 in my 94 4runner. ive worked on various cars before, but never done an engine installation. Don't really have the money to take it in, can someone let me know how difficult this is to do yourself, or point me in the right direction for a manual? thanks
Old 09-01-2009, 05:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your just putting in another 3.0?

Not really that hard, just takes a lot of time and patience.

Label EVERYTHING. Every wire, harness, vacuum line, and hose.

Take pictures. Multiple angles.

Get the right tools. Good socket set with multiple extensions and swivels. You'll need an engine hoist.

TAKE YOUR TIME. Go easy on wire connectors and hoses, don't force them and break things. If you label and take pictures of everything, it will make it MUCH easier to go back together.

Make sure your engine and accesories are from compatible years, or at least know what year the donor is, so you can swap over the nessisary parts.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah what he said basically its all tools and time take your time and use the right tools which isn't anything special for just R&R on a 3.0.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What previous posters said. Label and take pictures. Consult yotatech in time of difficulty. I put a newish 3.0 in back in April, and that was by for the most technical thing I had done to cars. The most technical I've done before would be just removing the intake plenum. Good tools REALLY help, I spent about $170 alone on tool related items because I either broke what I had, or needed something, like ratcheting wrenches, 1/2" drive 6-pt MM sockets (REALLY came in handy for the air gun), seal puller, ect. You'll have a great experience to put under your belt. It is defiantly worth it.

Few tips ( you probably already know but just in case)
-Get all new crush washers for the fuel rails.
-Make sure you disconnect the CSI, I snapped my line by accident.
-Before putting the plenum on, test for fuel leaks. This saves alot of headache in the end.
-When pulling the engine apart I didn't unbolt the Tourque Converter So I had to put a new seal on the output shaft of the transistor. Use the access panel to unbolt it.
-Keep your old engine until you get the new one running, like Adam F said, you may need to swap some parts.
-Depending on the engine you're putting in, you should replace seals (Like the Valve covers! Use genuine Toyota and alot of RTV approved for use with oil contact. Also make sure both surfaces are clean!) and such while its out, ALOT easier. Also do the spark plugs.
-I found it way easier the remove the exhaust crossover, and then get to the topmost bellhousing bolt.
-Again depending on the engine your getting, the plenum & TB should be totally cleaned. I used some heavy duty stuff and it took awhile to get everything in my TB totally clean. And I had some oil in my plenum so that took some elbow grease to get rid of.
-Make sure to buy or rent or borrow a tourque wrench, youll need it.

Thats allI can think of at the moment. I'll post more when it comes to mind.

If you need to know something, feel free to ask in this thread, or search, the question may have already been answered.

Happy wrenching!