Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

22RE 2wd to 22RE 4x4 Question!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 03:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE 2wd to 22RE 4x4 Question!

I'm a soldier in Germany, trying to help my father with an engine swap he's doing in Georgia, he's 67 so the internet isn't his thing lol. Anyway the truck is 1993 4x4, he's putting the engine from a 94 2wd into the 4x4 (engine was junk due to bearing failure). Both trucks had 22RE engines, manule trans. It's running extremely rich and he can't figure out why.

Things he has tried to resolve the extremely rich condition. (As in barely runs due to super rich A/F ratio)

- He swapped the computers out
- Someone told him that the 4x4 model had a knock sensor and the 2wd didn't. So he had someone that supposedly knows more about these trucks add one to the 93 harness.
- Tried the MAF from both trucks
- Removed the cold start injector
- Moved the engine harness and sensors over from the 92 to the 93

At first I was suspecting the MAS/MAF had failed and was incorrectly telling the ECU there was way more air coming in than there really was. I know early gen ECU's don't have much in the way of self diagnostics and sometimes don't throw codes for things they really should. But as said above he tried both trucks MAF's out and nothing changed, he did say before he had this "other guy" duno who he is, add in the supposed missing knock sensor that when he would detach the intake pipe (leaving the VAF plugged in) it would run much better. After the susposed missing sensor was added it dies nearly instantly when he detaches the intake pipe with the VAF plugged in. This is why I suspected an electrical / sensor issue. But a knock sensor shouldn't have ANY influence on the fuel system. Ignition timing, yes but not fuel correct?

Anyway last night I started wondering if it's a problem with the fuel system it's self, maybe a pinched return line or faulty fuel pressure regulator causing a super high base fuel pressure so he's going to look at that today.

I know my post is a little hard to follow, sorry about that, it doesn't help that I am not there to look at the truck, and i'm not familiar with them at all, but anything you can think of, electrical, sensor or fuel related that you can think of that COULD cause a super rich condition to the point he says it's no kidding actually rolling black smoke at idle then please please comment. (For all we currently know it could be a combo of things, which is what I first thought when I was thinking it was electrical as the ECU shouldn't throw in that much fuel without some seriously wrong readings, like coolant temp sensor thinking it's -80*F, 02 reporting back lean condition and MAF reporting to much air or something but I duno)

Last edited by SimpleM; 06-03-2012 at 03:47 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:45 AM

instead of just replacing sensors, try meter them out and see if they are displaying correct voltage/resistances.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:56 AM

Since I posted the original post, I did locate a toyota manule for this engine as a .pdf file and informed my father of several things to test and what there specs were. I also e-mailed it to him. I haven't had a chance to talk to him since but I should today. I'll update this thread with more details if he hasn't solved the issue and if he has, i'll post what the problem was.