Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

1987 extra cab 22re auto tranny motor swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 extra cab 22re auto tranny motor swap

ok so i have a couple of other threads going in various sections like a first gen (1980) build up and another one in this forum for the same truck to have a 22re swapped in place of its current 20r.

that being said. i just bought a 1987 extra cab truck thats pretty much stock and in GREAT condition. it needs a passenger side rear light lense(i have the ass'y but its not installed right now but came with the truck) i got the truck knowing the motor had a knock so after i tore the front of the motor apart to check the recently done timing chain(done correctly i was disappointed to see) and adjusted all the valves(hoping that was the problem), i ended up pulling the motor and im going to swap in the 22re i have sitting waiting to go into the first gen. i figure this would be easier and would get me on the road faster..

so heres some pics
i didnt take pics of me pulling it (i just didnt think about it) but i have some of it going in.
this one is of the truck with no long block(efi stuff is strapped up and out of the way still in the bay as you can see)

ive got some road grime to clean up after im all done

this is the motor that will be going in(i took its efi stuff off and its now sitting in a box....)

this is the "hydraulic" way of getting the pilot bearing out of the new motor(since it had a 5 speed in the donor truck and mine has an auto, i had to take the pilot bearing out which was shot anyway)

i used about 10 or 12 squares of 2 ply toilet paper for this.. it obsorbs water VERY nicely.

do you think this rear main was leaking a little bit? (this is the old motor i pulled) i put a new rear main on the newer motor im putting in and going to rebuild this one.

heres the old motor with a knock

and heres a pic of my workspace..

heres the newer motor after swapping water pumps(the older one had a brand new steel impeller one whereas the newer one had what seems like a lot older and the bearing was bad in it.)

anyway so i have the good motor in as of last night but wouldn't you know it, it started snowing today so i cant hook up all the wires and intake and all of that "fun" stuff..
heres me putting it in.

heres some pics of the truck i payed 1150 for it and it needs the front suspension to be adjusted because its eating up the inside of tires apparently(the extra set i got with it had 3 good ones and the 4th was SHOT) and it needs new front shock bushings(probably will just get new shocks while im there)

these 2 pics are from the guy who i bought it from.

after market seats. bench seat and middle folds down to a nice arm rest/cup holder!!!! awesome... also a nice stereo and alarm system that doesnt work.. hehe ill explore that more once i get the motor in.

thats it for now but im hot on it.. tomorrow im going to ask my mom to help me push the truck into my garage(i live in a duplex connected to her's, that her chevy truck you see in the other parking spot.. so that way i can work on the truck with it nudged into the garage.. crank up the classic rock and fire up the space heater and ive got my day planned....

see you all soon!
Old 01-04-2010, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok so i got it done and it went just fine. i have to find another inspection cover for the flywheel and torque converter but other than that, its running and driving.

it may have a few bugs to work out but its old and hasn't been loved for awhile. ill let you know as i know