Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

My '94 4Runner SAS

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm amazed by the level of detail that you have going on in this project.

This thread makes me want to SAS my truck too.

Now if i just had the friends with laser cutters and your friends welding skills

Congratulations on the coolest SAS in Europe!
Old 12-27-2007, 12:40 AM

Hi,

I've new pics of the exhaust and other things. We've had to left the idea of using another stock tank, it was very tight fit, and the driveshaft and the 3rd member were in risk of hitting the 2nd tank, so we're making an additional tank in the old spare wheel area.

We had to re-do the rear shock mounts because the Bilstein 12'''s were botoming, don't know how we measured but we were wrong. I've lost a bit of ground clearance with the new mounts but rockcrawling isn't my only liking, and I really wanted the shock being near vertical to help with body roll and stability at high speeds as my Toy will be cruising the Sahara next year.

Let's see the pics!

I achieved to get the OEM Tacoma RR Diff Lock switch and ECU pretty cheap

Completed exhaust. We made the tip pointing down so the chances of smoke smell inside the truck (When driving with the tailgate glass open) are less. It's not very nice looking but the new bumper will hide it.

I love the muffler. It's an universal one for little trucks (4 liters or so), so it's legal in Europe.

This is the new shock mounts. As I said I loose a bit of ground clearance but I achieve to use ALL the shock travel. Also, the stock mounts where lower and I never hit them.

This is the new gas tank mount and skid plate support. We cut the old ones "by accident" hehe You know... You get crazy with the plasma and then... Oops!

My friend has just phoned me. He said they're finishing some welds and they expect to take out the truck today. He says the exhaust sound is very very nice, I'm anxious to see it rolling!

David
Old 12-29-2007, 06:06 AM

I've got new pics hehe

My friend has phoned me today saying he has tested the truck in the street and he's very surprised about the leaves. He was convinced that they'd be very hard and have a lot of body roll, and they've but not so much as he thought hehe

I'll have more pics and a video later when he sent them to me.

David
Old 12-29-2007, 02:37 PM

IT ROLLS!!!

We've taken out the rear bumper and the fender flares as they rub.

Front driveshaft angle. Pretty good thanks to the HP diff.

I know, there's one nut missing, is the antisteal one hehe

Rear driveshaft angle

This is the stock rear CV driveshaft of a 3rd Gen 4Runner (Finding one in Spain was a miracle...) Seems that we'll have to retube it an lenghten a bit.

And finally a little video. Without front traction nor rear locker (We've not wired the E-Locker yet) but you can hear the roar when revving it. This is how a big diesel sounds with a non restrictive exhaust system hehe

I'm so anxious to drive it...

David
Old 12-31-2007, 06:29 AM

Hi, I've new pics, now the truck works in 4x4 perfectly.

We've to trim a bit the rear wheel wells as 4RunnerKid did to benefit from all the suspension travel available.

I'm so so anxious to drive it...

Rubbing

Ouch!

Happy 2008!

David
Old 12-31-2007, 09:19 AM

wow david that came out really well.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:02 AM

Hi,

I've another video. You can hear the turbo whistling in the exhaust hehe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCFu5Rcx_Nk

When my friend says "Cuidado con el pino" means "Be aware with the tree"! Hehehe

David

Edit: Err... I forgot to put the link. Too many beers last night...

Last edited by Blizzard; 01-01-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking good. Is the Diesel stock? I would like to have a diesel. Keep us posted with trail videos.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:53 AM

Ok ok, I know that maybe we have a little bit different way of using our rigs, but, this thread brings many questions to my head.

I've done SAS on my 4runner, front axle from LC70, LC80 coils.

Few questions. Why leaf spring suspension? why not coils or air?
And why the modification of the Hilux axle? Why not just 70 cruiser axle?
Is it not very hard in steering because of the angle of the steering bar?

Anyway, I have lots of other questions to ask but I have to get back to work.
hope you wont misunderstand me, I'm just curious, not judging. =)

Good luck with your SAS.

Btw, that lift on your car would be enough to fit 44" tires!
Old 01-03-2008, 04:12 AM

Well, I did leaves because as (I think) you know in Europe it's not so easy to do a SAS and do it legal, at least here in Spain.

I asked 15-20 engineers and ONLY ONE had the balls to say "Yes, I'll do your legalization project". The others said "Uhh... Cutting the frame", "Errr... Welding to the frame, this can't be legalized".

I don't mean that you can only legalize a commercial lift or kit, but makes things easier, and as you know, coil suspensions are more complicated to design or make them fully street-trailable.

So I only had two options, buying a commercial kit like the ORS one ($$$) or try to design a custom one that works well in the trail and in the street (Time and $$$).

This is why I choose the leaves. I could have used an LJ-70 axle and links, but that combo hasn't a lot more axle travel than the IFS...

I also had a lot of luck with the Hilux axle because here in Spain the SFA Hiluxes weren't sold, there are lots of them in the Canary Islands but not here. I managed to find one of the rare ones in Spain and also pretty cheap, while the junkyards wanted 600€ for a LJ-70 axle.

The steering is incredibly smooth and you don't have the impression of being turning 35'' tires.

Ah, about the air... Here in Spain you can't legalize a fully air suspension, the law says something about the truck having something "rigid" to support the truck, so you can add airbags to coils or leaves but you cannot have an AirRock suspension installed, at least if it's aftermarket.

I hope the suspension to sag near 2'' (5cm) when I do a pair of trails so it will look more balanced.

Feel free to ask all as you want, I'm happy to help finally hehe

David
Old 01-03-2008, 04:28 AM

Ops sorry Gerdo, yeah, the engine it's the same that run out the dealer 13 years ago.

David
Old 01-03-2008, 01:51 PM

Awesome job mate I am looking at doing similiar to mine in the near future, seeing how well yours turned out has me even more excited to do it.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:36 AM

Wow David! What have you going to done... Last time I read your writings, you had 31" tires and just nothing else. Now SAS, 35"s, intercooler, HIDs... You desided to do it really ready at one time.
What´s the new wheelbase, it seems to be longer than before?

Looking good, like professional job. Have you finished your intercooler installation yet?

Last edited by -MaTTi-; 01-06-2008 at 05:44 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:46 AM

SWEET RIDE am gonna be doing the exact same susspension lift this spring. On a level of 1-10 how hard is it to just don the sas and leaf conversion?
Old 01-09-2008, 05:50 AM

Hi Matti,

We haven't installed the intercooler yet but will be done very soon. The wheelbase it's a bit longer, it's better for stability, "easier" for the engineer and also helps to eliminate the rubbing of the front tires (With rear shackles the wheels travel backwards when compressing the suspension).

Did you sell the 4Runner? That KZJ looks very nice too, but it's harder to SAS (Dana axle hehe).

Hello canuckyotafan! Just the suspension swap it's quite easy. It's more tiring to cut and grind than the rest, it's pretty straightforward. The axle rebuild it's like a puzzle but it's nice to do. I think I'll put an 8 if you don't have a plasma or torch available, a 6 if you've acces to one.

David
Old 01-09-2008, 06:32 PM

i have found a 6 bolt from an 83-84 truck. i can get a 8 bolt, but unfortunately my friend lives on the other side of canada. do u think its worth the extra $300 to ship an 8 bolt over the 6 bolt?
Old 01-14-2008, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Blizzard
Hi Matti,

We haven't installed the intercooler yet but will be done very soon.

Did you sell the 4Runner? That KZJ looks very nice too, but it's harder to SAS (Dana axle hehe).

David
Yeah, I sold it at last spring and bought KZJ90 from Germany. It´s only sold KZJ95 model here in Finland. I think I´ll be fine with IFS.

Let us know when you get your cooler fitted. I´d want to install one to my KZJ too, but it seems to be quite difficult because I´d need to prove that emission level not change by cooler. I think it makes it even better, but I heard it could cause more HC... And an emission test would cost over 2000 €. Let´s see is there other way to prove it, because 1KZ-TE engines are made with intercooler too, but not for Europe.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:25 AM

Don't you have emissions tested in the inspections? We have.

You can add an intercooler (Paying an engineer), the inspector would see if the truck passes the emissions that were valid when the truck was sold. I think mine is an Euro III. I'm pretty sure that the emissions will be less because it "burns" better...

This is a friend's KZJ with a custom intercooler fitted:

David
Old 01-17-2008, 01:33 PM

The front bumper has been modded to bolt with the SAS front crossmember. The T-Case brake is done too, it rolls... We only have to finish the rear bumper w/tire carrier, buy the fender flares (Icelandic like ones), wire the E-Locker and I think we're done. Ah! End change the steering wheel too haha

It climbed at low 1st at idle. Stock T-Case w/stock gears, only 4.88's + 35's and a stock diesel engine

Will post pics of the LSPV and the T-Case brake soon.

David
Old 01-17-2008, 01:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Looks sick dude keep it up im sure that runners got a long list ahead of it

Great work

Quick Reply: My '94 4Runner SAS