Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings
View Poll Results: Possible Dates for Whipper Snapper Meltdown?
August 18, 19, 20th
52.94%
August 21,22 & 23rd
0%
I don't care, just get me there, I need a rock fix
47.06%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Whipper Snapper Summer Meltdown 4Runner Jam

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did we ever set in stone the 18th-20th? Do we have any kind of Itenerary? Arrive Friday afternoon/night and wheel the next day?

I'm gonna go ahead and say I'm def. in, I need to see if any friends want to come, and I Might see if I can't borrow a friend's trailer so I don't have to drive the 4runner and can pack all the junk in the FJ80, or another truck.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bob200587
Did we ever set in stone the 18th-20th? Do we have any kind of Itenerary? Arrive Friday afternoon/night and wheel the next day?

I'm gonna go ahead and say I'm def. in, I need to see if any friends want to come, and I Might see if I can't borrow a friend's trailer so I don't have to drive the 4runner and can pack all the junk in the FJ80, or another truck.

I hope so I have already reserved my cabin.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

Well, I'm sure that'll be fine then. I think we all pretty much decided on that but never really said.

I'm just hoping that there is cheap if not free primitive camping around the area of the cabins.. If not, and there is room, could we add people when we get there?

I read on the tellico site it's $5 for entrance to the park per day. So I assume Passengers don't pay, since that's per vehicle.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:17 PM
Contributing Member

I wouldn't have a problem with that. As of right now the cabin I reserved sleeps six and I currently have four coming with me. I might have more when the time comes so that is why I went ahead and reserved The ATV Den at Tellico Cabins. I am sure they have primitive camping that is little to no cost. BTW the cabin right beside ous is still available (as of last night)here is a link http://tellicocabins.com/4757/showcase.php/6025
Old 07-15-2006, 09:37 PM
Contributing Member

sweet, that comes to 55 per person for both nights if there's six people in the cabin. Plus $5 for the park entrance, plus gas from Nashville to NC (at least 1 tank each way).

Overall looks like a good deal. I'll try and see if I can get some friend's to come with me.
I guess when the day gets closer we'll decide on where to meet and what not.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bob200587
sweet, that comes to 55 per person for both nights if there's six people in the cabin. Plus $5 for the park entrance, plus gas from Nashville to NC (at least 1 tank each way).

Overall looks like a good deal. I'll try and see if I can get some friend's to come with me.
I guess when the day gets closer we'll decide on where to meet and what not.
We are leaving Charlotte area Friday around mid-day. Hope to be there around 5 or so. I have never been so I have no clue how long it will take. Mapquest said it was about 4 hours from Charlotte.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hlpressley
We are leaving Charlotte area Friday around mid-day. Hope to be there around 5 or so. I have never been so I have no clue how long it will take. Mapquest said it was about 4 hours from Charlotte.
Supposably a little over 4 from nashville as well.....but I haven't fooled around with alt. routes or stops, or gas, or any of that. It's pretty straightforward on getting there thats for sure, at least for me. Mostly interstate.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:43 AM
Contributing Member

Sorry guys, yeah that date was loosly chosen a few posts back. I'm sure primative camping is free, and trail entrance is $5 a day but not enforced at all, it's on the honor system, your paying for the upkeep of a great area. I plan to arrive as early on Friday as possible, get setteled in and make a night run if people are up for the idea. The primative spots are actually on the trails, right around the water crossing on trail 5 if you can get a hold of a map online. so they're a bit away from the cabins, but getting to them is nothing, the actual obsticles don't even really begin until after the water crossing. We'll figure something out.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Stump1883
Sorry guys, yeah that date was loosly chosen a few posts back. I'm sure primative camping is free, and trail entrance is $5 a day but not enforced at all, it's on the honor system, your paying for the upkeep of a great area. I plan to arrive as early on Friday as possible, get setteled in and make a night run if people are up for the idea. The primative spots are actually on the trails, right around the water crossing on trail 5 if you can get a hold of a map online. so they're a bit away from the cabins, but getting to them is nothing, the actual obsticles don't even really begin until after the water crossing. We'll figure something out.
That sounds good. I suppose those of us not staying at the cabins could still meet the rest of you there when we get into town so we can get organized. Unless meeting in town would be better?

Everything I've planned is still just rolling around in my head and I'm sure it'll change depending on what works out.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:57 AM
Contributing Member

Off to vacation now boys. I will be chatting with you guys Thursday!
Old 07-16-2006, 05:16 AM
Contributing Member

OK, I have to get a new starter in the truck & the longfields, but yes, I want to go. Dang I just got back from Louisiana & Mississippi too, what a roadtrip summer!...
Old 07-16-2006, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member

That's what summer is all about, the great American road trip. Glad to see your cming along man, are you up for helping split the cost of a cabin?
Old 07-16-2006, 08:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

Nice truck dude, it'll look alot better with some Tellico pin stripping. You can't be to worried about the damage, but we'll do our best to get you in and out w/ no damage.

Rob, I HATE YOU, you know that right?

Looks like yet another trip to Tellico w/o doing Slickrock :cry: . Un;ess your willing to risk pulling me up the last ledge?
Scott, I should have a winch on the back of the red truck to pull your butt up the ledge.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

That's what summer is all about, the great American road trip. Glad to see your cming along man, are you up for helping split the cost of a cabin?
Yes, you can count me in on that, it's too freakin hot to camp! I need A/C in August. If those are the cabins where Wabbit & a few others stayed those were very cool & close-by.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 1985 4Runner
Yes, you can count me in on that, it's too freakin hot to camp! I need A/C in August. If those are the cabins where Wabbit & a few others stayed those were very cool & close-by.
Yup and we're trying to get into the Wabbit Luv Shack itself, same one the treo were staying in. They are really close, clean and super nice to come home to after a day on the trails.

Originally Posted by yotaman
Scott, I should have a winch on the back of the red truck to pull your butt up the ledge.
Greg you would be my hero if you could yank me up that last ledge. I really want to do Slickrock, it's the last IFS doable trail left for me there. I really wasn't keen on risking broken parts on others rigs to get up, it wasn't worth it to me, so a rear mounted winch would rock.

Last edited by Stump1883; 07-16-2006 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Either way you can count on me yanking you up the ledge if needed. Slickrock is yours this time Scott.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:40 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
We stayed in the Lock Em Inn at the top of the big hill right there by the trail to the trails. Super nice w/ satellite tv, full kitchen, AC/heat, washer/dryer...everything you need. It'll sleep 3 comfortably. More than that and you got bunk beds and on the floor.

Old 07-16-2006, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
We stayed in the Lock Em Inn at the top of the big hill right there by the trail to the trails. Super nice w/ satellite tv, full kitchen, AC/heat, washer/dryer...everything you need. It'll sleep 3 comfortably. More than that and you got bunk beds and on the floor.

I've got two air matresses I'll be bringing for extra room, all I need is somewhere flat and I'll be OKAY. It's all about getting away and having a good time, I can sleep plenty good when I'm dead.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:26 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, we're officially in the only available cabin left, the Lock Em Inn, so we're right above the other guys. Now lets get this think filled to or above compacity so it'll be nice and cheep for all of us. Bring your friends, heck ask a Jeep buddy to come if you want, I just know none of us wants to get hit up with a big bill for the weekend, the price of gas will be enough in my case.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

Best just count on me not being there and if it turns out that I can come, then I'll just make my own last minute arrangements.

Quick Reply: Whipper Snapper Summer Meltdown 4Runner Jam