Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings
View Poll Results: Possible Dates for Whipper Snapper Meltdown?
August 18, 19, 20th
52.94%
August 21,22 & 23rd
0%
I don't care, just get me there, I need a rock fix
47.06%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Whipper Snapper Summer Meltdown 4Runner Jam

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two Lockers & the correct gearing will keep you out of danger and let you wheel the hard stuff.

"Invisable Mods" are the ones that are really worth it. With alot of "invisable" mods your truck will go right up slickrock and drive you around town.

Look at all the crazy stuff I have been through and I amazeingly have very little body damage. With controlled traction almost anything is possible.

Get the truck towed to somewhere where you can work on it, go to a junk yard and get the entire side spindle assembly and axle shaft and you'll be back in business. More than likely the bearings in the junk yard truck are still fine. You'll get that trucks upper ball joint as well.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member

the lockers and such are the next mods on the list, and it seems stupid to do lockers and then re-gear down the road, so it'll happen all at once....its a matter of saving up for them

I would do the work, but the truck is currently located in another state about 4 hours away from me, and i have schoolwork to do. I basically don't have the time to do it, and even if i did, I wouldn't have the tools or knowledge to fix it currently.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:15 PM
Banned

btw rob if you need some extra money.. ill buy that hitch from you
Old 08-24-2006, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still carried spare parts & broke what I didn't have a fix for. Although had I brought a can of radiator stop leak I could probably have limped back to camp without overheating & blowing the head gasket (if that's what it was). We all live & learn from our own experiences & those of others. I like having the options a trailer gives me. Even the best DD/trail rig wont get you back if you flop hard. just my .02
And I'll be back at Slickrock locked front, hydro-assist high steer & winch & have fun again....
Old 08-25-2006, 03:16 AM
Banned

a radiator is hard to prepare for on a trail run other than some extra water and some stop leak. doing a hard obstacle in a lightly-modded IFS rig is alot easier to "pack for".

hey rob, better get a night job. gears, two ARB's with compressor, and the install kits + labor will be around 2-LARGE or so. yeah, $2000. my advise? shop the classifieds, buy used front diff and rear thrid member. buy USED ARB's and then get your gears from Performance Off-Road Center (PORC) along with a compressor. have them "bench installed" to save on labor. then have some buds over for a wrench-a-thon to swap the diff/third out, install the compressor and do the wiring.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:37 AM
Contributing Member

Yea, i figure i'll get what i can used and just hold onto the parts til i have everything.

Update on the repairs...I had my Runner towed to another shop about a mile down the street from Toy of Knoxville. They looked at it and said they should be able to repair a lot of the parts the Stealership said they would have to replace and then order what was needed after that. It's nice to know that i won't be bending over to pay the bill for this shop like i was for the Stealership
Old 08-25-2006, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

Dealers replace large sections. Like lets take your wheel bearings. Instead of pressing out the old spindle, old bearing, they will just order an entire pre-assembled casting with all of that already in it.

Just the way it is. Of course they will charge you over the counter retail.

Here is a good one, typically no-one, unless they learned it on there own at a dealer will know how to set gears up. Yes you guessed it, R&P goes out, an entire pre-setup chunk gets ordered in.

Just the way it is.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:06 AM
Banned

lookie what i just got via email and my response...

--- Stefanie Brown <sbrown@toyotaknoxville.com> wrote:

> Andy Pipkin,
> Hello, this is Stefanie with Toyota Knoxville,
> service department. We wanted to thank you for
> bringing your vehicle in for service with us. We
> really appreciate that you trust us with your
> service needs. We also wanted to make sure that your
> service visit was excellent and that you didn't have
> any questions or concerns. If you have any feedback
> at all, we would love to hear from you. Otherwise,
> thank you again and have a great day!
> Sincerely,
> Stefanie Brown
> Toyota Knoxville
> 865-218-3400

Stefanie:

First of all, no, it was not excellent. I am currently discussing my experience with Toyota Customer Care. My displeasure is more with the "runaround" that I received regarding warranty coverage. If I do receive warranty coverage, then I will be considering other local dealers to perform the work. This is based on both my experience and the experience of an acquaintance.

That acquaintance had his 1999 4Runner towed to Toyota Knoxville based on my suggestion. Upon arriving there, he was quoted exorbitant prices for parts and over-inflated labor. I believe that this was due to his situation of being from out-of-state and having to leave his vehicle for repair without being present.

Basically, he needed about $700 in parts (at current MSRP Toyota pricing) and about 6 hours of labor for the work. He was quoted over $1600 in parts (over-inflated prices - some more than double MSRP), some that weren't even needed, and more than $600 in labor.

If that is any indication of how Toyota Knoxville intends to run their Service facility, then I will not be returning.

Thanks,
Andy Pipkin

it just so happens that i had the cruiser in there this week for some warranty work that they say isn't covered...

they've already dropped the ball on one person's experience and they're about to "fumble" on my experience. now let's see what they do when it's kicked back in their face!

Last edited by bamachem; 08-25-2006 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by bamachem
lookie what i just got via email and my response...
Well said. I bet she is getting a really bad feeling in her stomach reading your response trying to formulate her own.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:10 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for that, I will also be emailing them a similar note. I just wanted to make sure my truck was safely out of there before that kind of email was sent.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:15 AM
Banned

lol... first thing she does is goes to the service manager and shows him what i wrote. he then goes to the service writers and finds out who i'm referring to since it's pretty easy to find a $1600 parts quote for a 99 runner. then they look at the two and go "oh chit - they know each other somehow". from there, they'll try to substantiate their position and request that Rob contact them to discuss his displeasure, then they'll apologize for my bad experience and want more details as to what transpired, probably asking if they can call me or if i can call them.

my warranty claim was a long shot. 2000 cruiser with 66k miles that i've owned for all of two months has the dreaded cracked exhaust manifold on the driver side. they say it's a 3/36 warranty item. my owner's supplement lists it as being covered in cali as a 7/80 warranty item. i'm telling them that i want it to be fixed as if i were in cali. oh, and they quoted me $1002.36 to do the swap - no price breakdown for parts/labor. the parts LIST for $291 MSRP (right at $200 online) and then it's about 4 or so hours at $65 an hour for labor. total should be $600 or thereabouts. they're doing it to me cause it's a cruiser - and now they know that i have two situations in the same week as proof of them gouging. i wonder how toyota corporate would see that?

Last edited by bamachem; 08-25-2006 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:19 AM
Contributing Member

Classic Andy, well put. I wonder how Stephanie would feel if she drove a non-Toyota & broke down out of state & had to leave her car at a strange dealership & trust in the integrity of others to do the right thing.

in·teg·ri·ty (n-tgr-t)
n.
1. Steadfast adherence to a strict moral or ethical code.
2. The state of being unimpaired; soundness.
3. The quality or condition of being whole or undivided; completeness

[Middle English integrite, from Old French, from Latin integrits, soundness, from integer, whole, complete; see tag- in Indo-European roots.]

I am considering sending an e-mail to the dealership myself.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:21 AM
Banned

her email is at the top of the quoted section.

however, i'd hold off on the bombardment until i get a response if you don't mind.

once they try to sweep it under the rug, then you can send them a link to this thread, tell them what post that we started talking about their prices/parts, and let them discover how they've been uncovered from there...
Old 08-25-2006, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
her email is at the top of the quoted section.

however, i'd hold off on the bombardment until i get a response if you don't mind.

once they try to sweep it under the rug, then you can send them a link to this thread, tell them what post that we started talking about their prices/parts, and let them discover how they've been uncovered from there...

fine with me. I'll keep it holstered...for now....
Old 08-25-2006, 11:33 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Dayum! I love it when we run covert Yotatech operations against villanous, tyrranical dealerships who are intent on oppressing the average Appalachian-American!

Old 08-25-2006, 01:08 PM
Contributing Member

repair with the parts they needed to buy ran under $600....as not as expensive as i orginally though, but still an expensive lesson nonetheless
Old 08-25-2006, 02:12 PM
Banned

Wow That email you sent was classic. I refrain from negative emails because I usually do negative things in a non professional way.

Rob.. you found a place to get you put back together?
Old 08-25-2006, 02:56 PM
Contributing Member

Yes, a shop that's about a mile down the road from the stealership...my truck is already fixed, now i just gotta find a way to get down there so i can pick it up
Old 08-25-2006, 03:07 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
If it were me, I would be "tempted" to drive my rig back down to the dealership w/ their quote and the shop that did the repairs' bill and show them the comparison...and tell them why they didn't get your business. A $1500 discrepancy for a repair should be illegal.

Old 08-25-2006, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
If it were me, I would be "tempted" to drive my rig back down to the dealership w/ their quote and the shop that did the repairs' bill and show them the comparison...and tell them why they didn't get your business. A $1500 discrepancy for a repair should be illegal.

I may just do that since i'll be a mile down the road anyways....maybe that will get them to at least give people some KY before raping them

Quick Reply: Whipper Snapper Summer Meltdown 4Runner Jam