Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings
View Poll Results: Possible Dates for Whipper Snapper Meltdown?
August 18, 19, 20th
52.94%
August 21,22 & 23rd
0%
I don't care, just get me there, I need a rock fix
47.06%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Whipper Snapper Summer Meltdown 4Runner Jam

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 11:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Doc, The video is for the radiator prank you played on me....

You wish you had a shot of me me siphoning the gas out of that Bronco now?

J/K buddy- You're the best. I had a great time & Jesse is a cool guy, we had a blast having a few cold ones on the porch for sure. thanks for turning the chicken over too...
Old 08-21-2006, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1985 4Runner
sounded like a chainsaw
Old 08-21-2006, 11:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hlpressley
I really didn't contribute anything at all to the trip or to the recovery of any of these vehicles due to being a newbie myself however, I would like to give some big thanks to Scott.
This guy really ranks up there with me. I have only been around him twice and he spends every minute trying to help someone out! He spent pretty much all day Saturday helping everyone get their rigs fixed and or extracted while his sat parked at the base of slickrock. I personally have never seen anyone as young as Scott that is so concerned with the well being of everyone around him. He will do anything to make sure everyone has the best time possible. I hope that some day with a lot more experience and knowledge I too can give the effort that I have seen Scott give on the trails. He is truly an assett to our sport and eventhough I haven't broke anything for hime to fix (yet) LOL. I am truly thankful for people like Scott and couldn't think of a better person to be on the trail with. Thanks alot Scott! It is people like you that make this world a better place!

P.S. Give your Dad a big pat on the back also because I am sure you didn't learn to be so considerate and helpful by yourself. Tell him I may need some pointers as I have three little ones of my own to try to raise up the right way. :bigclap:

x1000
Old 08-21-2006, 11:05 AM
Contributing Member

Another update from AAA
the 4Runner was supposed to get there by 2:10 pm, now past 3 o'clock and was told to wait 25 minutes or so to call back and see if it was there
Old 08-21-2006, 11:17 AM
Banned

good grief. Toyota Knoxville is about 5 min from my house and I pass by it twice a day if you need a good "independent" set of eyes to verify that it's there and in one piece...
Old 08-21-2006, 11:21 AM
Banned

Im glad we all worked as a team to get everything done as fast as possible. another x1000 on harolds post. I really bonded with everybody and had fun..

Goodtimes x1000
Old 08-21-2006, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

The Toyota delaership that Robs rig will eventually be at is right behind Docs office, so he can keep an eye on it for him. It's good to know we have such great friends willing to watch out for us and our rigs even when we can't, thanks guys. Justin I sure wish I knew you had a trailer and tow rig, but then again I lost your number the last time I lost my phone, yes I've lost it more than once, LOL.

Andy I was planning to swap Rob's axel out with my spare, By the time I had figure out the inner tripod was not coming out I had lalready pulled the axle in two peices, then figured we'd just limp him home where I could fix things for the ride home on flat groud out of the sun, it obviously never made it.

Harold I really appreciate the kind words, it's great to know you have such a high opinion of me, means alot. I'm just glad we all made it there, had a blast, made some stories, shared a few beers,and got out with minimal damage, it can always be worse. A bad day on the trails is better than a good day in the office/classroom.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:59 AM
Banned

inner tripod? are you referring to the inner section of the axle? the end that inserts into the diff? so, you cut the boot, but you couldn't pull/pop the axle center shaft from the inner joint, so then you just popped it out of the diff, but you left the outer joint (cut off at the boot) inside the hub with the nut still on it?

outer at spindle/hub/knuckle > ----||---axle---||---- <inner to diff

if you pulled the joint out of the hub, then he has a trashed wheel bearing (and possibly hub and knuckle). that won't be cheap. if you left that one in place, but pulled the joint from the diff, then he probably has a seized outer bearing on the diff, plus trash/debris in the diff and hopefully no other damage. if you pulled both, then plan on both being bad and bending over without the KY.

so, with a bad hub/bearing, possilby a knuckle, needing a CV, and pounding out the gas tank skid, i would imagine that it will be close to - if not more than - $1000 for the final bill at Toyota Knoxville. they like to bend you over there if they get the chance...

FYI: we simply CANNOT under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES run our rigs without a axle shaft (from the outer CV shaft) in place in the hub/knuclke and properly torqued via the spinlde nut. that nut/joint is what literally holds the weight of the truck in the bearings and what holds the bearings together. if you pull the spindle shaft that goes thru the bearings, then you're essentially dead in the water. that's why i cut the center section out of mine so that i could still wheel.

in that situation, you cut the leading edge (front edge) of the wheel inboard so that you have access to the sway bar connection to the a-arm. disconnect and remove the sway bar end link. cut the outer boot w/ a knife. cut the inner boot with a knife. force the center axle shaft back into the inner joint far enough that it will pop out of the outer joint. at that point, simply pull the tulip (part of the axle shaft that mates up to the inner joint) out so that you're completely removing the axle from the truck, but leaving the joints in place. that way you're protected at each end until you get back to camp and can do a proper swap in the shop with a shop floor jack and air tools.

Last edited by bamachem; 08-22-2006 at 05:43 AM.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:14 PM
Contributing Member

oh boy....looks like this will be a fun bill to get
Old 08-21-2006, 12:49 PM
Contributing Member

I left the inner joint in the axel, it popped off while we were prying and pulling the joint. The other Andy drove 60miles from GB to Boone with no outer joint in the spindle, and went a few days driving around town w/o it, so from my experiance I didn't need the outer boot. I did remember you pulling yours out the way you just described but wasn't aware that it was so imparitive, I figured the bearing would be damaged or would cause some wear but nto what you just described. Like I said I had anticipated putting a whole new axel in, and then figured I would cap the speindle bearing with the boot once we were back home, I didn't think it would fall out before we got it back to the cabin. Sorry Rob, I did what I thought was best and what was going to get you and the group back ASAP in a safe condition, I was wrong and it was a costly lesson learned for all.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

no worries Scott, i know you wouldn't have done it if you knew what would happen

At this pont i just have to face the reality that, depending on the cost, even if it gets fixed, i most likely can't afford to go get it

Last edited by nc994run; 08-21-2006 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by nc994run
no worries Scott, i know you wouldn't have done it if you knew what would happen

At this pont i just have to face the reality that, depending on the cost, even if it gets fixed, i most likely can't afford to go get it
Really? Time or money?
Old 08-21-2006, 02:56 PM
Contributing Member

Man, that really sucks about the wheel bearings.

What happened when the cv broke-I mean what were you doing and where? Turning and heavy throttle?
Old 08-21-2006, 03:56 PM
Contributing Member

Turning heavy and throttle when it broke

According to Toyota of Knoxville, the spare axle Scott had was for non abs vehicles....I need an axle, wheel bearings, spindle, and i think he also mentioned flushing out the diff......total estimate for parts + labor = $2250 which greatly exceeds my budget....i realize the wheel bearings require a press to be put in, but would the axle and spindle be things that are relatively easy to do myself?

Also, to Andy (Bamachem) and Doc, are there any places in the Knoxville area that you would recommend for a cheaper (cost not quality) fix. I realize some of the quote is a markup for parts with the Toyota name stamped on them. I'm just trying to figure out what my options are at this point
Old 08-21-2006, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member

Also forgot that a brake caliper was needed
Old 08-21-2006, 03:59 PM
Contributing Member

$2250.00! Holy Crap. You can do a SAS for that I think.

That sucks Rob, I'm sincerely sorry. I have yet to see what my rig is going to take to get running.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:06 PM
Banned

less then 2250 i bet... dude I could do an SAS and then double lock my runner for that. damn!!!
Old 08-21-2006, 04:11 PM
Contributing Member

Ryker, i hope you have a lot easier time getting yurs to run then i've had so far

...I'm looking into trailering it up to blacksburg to do it with the help of some friends
Old 08-21-2006, 04:12 PM
Contributing Member

If you guys can do a SAS for less than $2250 let me know the details. I have alreday been considering it but it was my understanding it would take alot more than $2250. I don't think anyone even makes an elimination kit for our years do they? I was thinking to do front and rear to clear maybe 35's with the SAS up front I figured atleast $5K. I hope I am wrong but that was what I gathered.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:26 PM
Contributing Member

NO there is nothing easy or cheep about an SAS on our model 4Runners, you can hardly do a 2nd gen for that price, let alone a 3rd. If it was that cheep, even less than $8K there would be alot more late model straight axel 4Runners around.

Rob if Andy or Doc knows a place that can get it done cheeper there I would go with that, otherwise I would look into getting it home and doing the work yourself. I know you can do almost all of that work yourself for a good bit cheeper. It's alot of delaer markup and expensive "certified" labor. Even if you have to order all the Toyota parts and pay the price, putting them in yourself will save BIG $$$. I'm willing to come up there for a weekend and help you get everything fixed, it can be done. Ask them for a list of all the repairs that they think needs to be done, and then say your taking it to have other estimates done, and we'll just check the list off as we go.

Your on the right path, figure it out and let me know, I'll do whatever I can do help you get rolling again, and for less money than $2250.

Quick Reply: Whipper Snapper Summer Meltdown 4Runner Jam