Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings
View Poll Results: Possible Dates for Whipper Snapper Meltdown?
August 18, 19, 20th
52.94%
August 21,22 & 23rd
0%
I don't care, just get me there, I need a rock fix
47.06%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Whipper Snapper Summer Meltdown 4Runner Jam

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 05:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It hasn't changed a whole lot, it's just a bit more washed out, but a little goes a long way on an obstacle like that.

Ryker, glad to see you made it home alright, even if it did take a little longer than anticipated. In all the ryush to get loaded up and get out, I forgot to tell you, PLEASE THANK TYLER for me, his grip tape idea saved me from adding to Murphy's Law. Your sliders were soaked and as I was climbing into your beast I slipped and almost took a fall into the tires and cut up fenders, the grip tape was there just in time to catch my left leg.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:29 AM
Banned

teaser pics

yeah hoes that is a geo getting up slick rock

Last edited by neliconcept; 08-21-2006 at 05:31 AM.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:46 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Next Tellico trip...

Old Man's Show Them How It's Done Run

Whipper Snappers 0
Tellico 1

Old 08-21-2006, 06:23 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by neliconcept
that buggy pulling Rob had to winch up it so yeah it was pretty damn hard.

2 other buggies made it.. the other three winched up.
yeah, but look at that "buggy". not exactly what i'd call hardcore with his near-bald 32 slicks on there. the lack of sheet metal may give him courage, but not necessarily the ability to wheel any better.

i just know that if i didn't have a busted CV and another weakened one that i would have given it a shot and i feel like i could have made it.

a front locker on that is the key. once the tires go up and over, then it's a matter of pulling the ass-end up to follow.

anyway, i'm glad you guys had a fun and safe trip. i wish i could have made it, but my plate is overflowing now at work. i doubt i'll make anything at all until this project is done about 11 months from now.

Last edited by bamachem; 08-21-2006 at 06:24 AM.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:21 AM
Contributing Member

Well after hitching a ride with Scott and his dad in order to get back for classes, there is a killer loose on campus so campus was shut down and classes were cancelled...AAA also confirmed that no one had been sent out to pick up my car ....i'm just hoping there's enough time for the dealership to order and get parts to do the fix before this weekend
Old 08-21-2006, 07:30 AM
Banned

ouch. did you pull the complete shaft axle out of the knuckle/hub assembly? i hope that you just cut out the center section of the axle out and left the outer (in the knuckle/hub) and inner joint (in the front diff) in place... if you pulled the whole CV out and didn't leave anything in, then you've killed your outer bearings in the knuckle, probably the hub & the knuckle itself, and possibly the ones in your front diff as well as contaminated the front diff lube by having it open to the environment.

Last edited by bamachem; 08-22-2006 at 05:40 AM.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:37 AM
Banned

His CV is in place.. couldnt even break it loose to pull it out. We are afraid we did break his spindle too but not totally sure.. dude AAA better get their damn act together and get your truck out of there.. thats some bs
Old 08-21-2006, 07:41 AM
Contributing Member

We pulled out all of the front axle except the tri pod, because it was just stuck in there. The wheel bearings didnt come out until the bottom of 5 right before the water crossing. I'm not exactly sure as to what would have been exposed to the environment by having that in place...still learning about the front axle/ assembly
Old 08-21-2006, 07:43 AM
Contributing Member

also, i have a good video of myself getting winched up the final ledge... i am loading it to photobucket right now and will have a link to it shortly
Old 08-21-2006, 07:48 AM
Banned

scott, you were there when i pulled my pass-side center section at the top of slickrock back in may, weren't you? why didn't you just take the swaybar endlink off, cut the boots, and then remove the center section of the axle shaft, leaving the inner and outer pieces in place?

you have to leave the inner "joint" in place to center the bearings on the front diff and keep it sealed from the environment. you have to leave the outer section in place in the knuckle/hub with the nut on it to keep the wheel bearings in place and to keep them from spinning out. with that said, to keep a broken CV from flopping around and causing more damage, you have to cut the inner and outer boots, slide the center axle towards the diff (with the front wheel turned away from the sway bar endlink, then slide the axle shaft out of the outer joint, then pull the center section completely out. that will keep the bearings in place and you can still drive in 2WD or 4WD (with the center diff locked), but if you don't have a front locker, then you're in 2WD anyway. you'd only need to put it in 4WD if you wanted the low gear of 4-LO.

Last edited by bamachem; 08-22-2006 at 05:41 AM.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:56 AM
Contributing Member

here's a link to the video of me going up ledge 3...and the best part is the last

http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...t=DSCN0506.flv
Old 08-21-2006, 08:01 AM

So here is to my first post... i want to say thanks to all the guys that were down there this weekend for ALL their help... i have to say over all, looking back, i had a Blast. SO now i just need to sell my Chevy S-10 and get me that 1st Gen 4Runner i have always dreamed of. And here are some pics, ill post more later, once i make it back to school.

Last edited by hokiefan2008; 08-21-2006 at 08:06 AM.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member

My truck should be arriving at Toyota of Knoxville on Parkside drive around 2 15 this afternoon....then we'll see what the damage is
Old 08-21-2006, 09:26 AM

Y'all need to start carrying people's #'s that aren't there. I don't want to speak for anyone else in the Atlanta area (though there are others with trailers) but I am only about an hour south of Tellico and have a tow rig and trailer at my disposal as well as a knowledge of the area and a Toyota dealership 5 mins from my house. So, next time you go and run into trouble feel free to call me, if you want my number pm me. Maybe it is time to start a calling list of people with location and the resources they have available to them along with any special knowledge/skills they have.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:26 AM
Contributing Member

I'm glad they finally got yout truck picked up Rob! Keep us posted on the damage.

I finally got caught up on some sleep & am going to look at my damage later today.

So far I know I ripped the fender again, fan blade popped a hole in the radiator, which overheated the truck causeing a possible head gasket to blow.

Here's some more pics:

After Geg & I got the ATV back up on the road (this was when he got stung)

Old 08-21-2006, 10:16 AM
Contributing Member

A calling list would be good resource...I figured AAA would handle it better than they did....they called and got someone setup but the driver decided he didn't want to do it, so i notified AAA that he wasn't coming, and the person i had been talking to didn't do anything further to setup another driver.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by nc994run
A calling list would be good resource...I figured AAA would handle it better than they did....they called and got someone setup but the driver decided he didn't want to do it, so i notified AAA that he wasn't coming, and the person i had been talking to didn't do anything further to setup another driver.
Yeah, I hate dealing with AAA.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:38 AM
Contributing Member

Scott

I really didn't contribute anything at all to the trip or to the recovery of any of these vehicles due to being a newbie myself however, I would like to give some big thanks to Scott.
This guy really ranks up there with me. I have only been around him twice and he spends every minute trying to help someone out! He spent pretty much all day Saturday helping everyone get their rigs fixed and or extracted while his sat parked at the base of slickrock. I personally have never seen anyone as young as Scott that is so concerned with the well being of everyone around him. He will do anything to make sure everyone has the best time possible. I hope that some day with a lot more experience and knowledge I too can give the effort that I have seen Scott give on the trails. He is truly an assett to our sport and eventhough I haven't broke anything for hime to fix (yet) LOL. I am truly thankful for people like Scott and couldn't think of a better person to be on the trail with. Thanks alot Scott! It is people like you that make this world a better place!

P.S. Give your Dad a big pat on the back also because I am sure you didn't learn to be so considerate and helpful by yourself. Tell him I may need some pointers as I have three little ones of my own to try to raise up the right way. :bigclap:

Last edited by hlpressley; 08-21-2006 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member

More pics:

Old 08-21-2006, 10:58 AM
Contributing Member

Video:

Click here to watch Doc1-90

Quick Reply: Whipper Snapper Summer Meltdown 4Runner Jam