Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings
View Poll Results: Possible Dates for Whipper Snapper Meltdown?
August 18, 19, 20th
52.94%
August 21,22 & 23rd
0%
I don't care, just get me there, I need a rock fix
47.06%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Whipper Snapper Summer Meltdown 4Runner Jam

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc279
Lot's of stories will come out of this trip - you just wait on everybody to get home and start posting.

Yeah, I am expecting a flood of stories any time now.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:35 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Carnage and bee stings. Dayum!

Old 08-20-2006, 06:07 PM
Contributing Member

Holy smokes!!! Cant wait to see and hear the stories!!
Old 08-20-2006, 06:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow guys!!!!!

Looks like there will be plenty of stories to tell from this trip!

Those damn yellowjackets are really bad this year!

Everyone watch out at Riverrock in Sept.-yellowjackets love that sandy type soil.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Doc279
We also broke Rob's winch cable loose ( steel ) from the drum. The screw pulled out and the eyelet on the end of the cable was mangled. It took about 2 hours to get around that problem. We finally managed to just stick the end into the hole and wind at least 10 turns on the drum before we could continue. That happened on the flat area above slick rock but before the monster ledge at the top.

While that was happening - Ryker ran out of gas and his spare full cans were back on his trailer at the cabin. We managed to steal enough vacumn lines to siphon gas from another vehicle. Then the vacumn lines were put back on the robbed runners.

I vote we stay the hell off slick rock until we get some better equipment !!!!

What a day - if it had rained even the least little bit and it threatened to,
We would still be there.

I am going to bed now - I am dragging. Scott and his Dad took Rob and Mike back to South Carolina. They did not leave Tellico until about 5:00 this afternoon. Ryker finally got off the trail and could take his trailer to the rig,
not sure what time he left. I left Tellico about 7:30 this morning to get my son back to catch a work truck leaving town.

Lot's of stories will come out of this trip - you just wait on everybody to get home and start posting.

Yep, a winch is now mandatory for Slickrock. Back in May, the only 4Runner that made it was Greg (yotaman) and he drove up the dirt enbankment to the left to do it. No other 4Runners made it.

Now, Ernie (firetaco) and Bud (budbuilt) both drove right up that ledge on the first try with absolutely no trouble in ext cab Tacoma's. Wheelbase has a lot to do with that ledge-I believe the ext cab Tacoma is either 4" or 5" longer in wheelbase than a third gen 4Runner.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:56 PM
Banned

Well Im back.. Ryker and I took I 40 east to Ashville and then his damn trailer brake light goes out as soon as I bear off towards anderson.

I looked at my gas skid plate and its destroyed so I will have to get some neweys!!. Rob and Mike rode with Scott back to greensboro and chapel hill.

What a weekend.. then I start pre running like 45 to 50mph down trail 1 and my damn rig comes off 1 feet off ground and my beer in the back bust open.. my rig smells like serious alcohol.

Good times!!!!
Old 08-20-2006, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

So Greg survived? What an adventure. My son "Chris" jumper out of the van when we got home today, and started telling the whole story to his mom, and sister. It was like, Mom my heart was beating so fast, I could feel it in my chest. "Thank" guy's for a great time. Doc, really has my respect the way he made that little p/u walk over rocks. Rob, and Scott have hearts of lions. Greg is a champion, Ryker, well he is about 6'8 in my son's eye's.
All the other guys where really cool as well, There wasn't one of them that I felt like I couldn't talk to.
Some lessons. Need to add radiator stop leak, bee sting medication, and go ahead and put a big hookin C.B in trk. Be prepared to stick it out til "all are out of the wood", next time. I need more fender well and skidplate. And don't skimp on winch get a BIG one, Try to be a better Christian and have stuff to help others, ie. extra food, etc.
The weather was right on the edge of being too hot. Traveling in a pack to the the trail head with no AC is hot dusty and sticky.The mountians kinda keep it from being too hot. I'm thinking fall is prime time for wheelin.
I'm gonna do it again but plane on doing the Ocowee kayaking thing next time. Plan on staying in Murphy to split the difference.
Relieved I didn't sux too bad, Hope these guy's don't roll their eye's the next time I ask to go along. And, I think we got a new mud hole tester. Christopher said that was his job,
Old 08-20-2006, 07:11 PM
Contributing Member

WOW! I didn't realize Rob had that much damage. I hope those guys get everything worked out. I didn't end up witha whole lot of damage except for ALOT scratches on my paint (trail 8 is tight) and few more dents in my rear bumper and a scuffed up fender flare from the easy drivers side flop from Frday night in which I have 0 pics of. I still can't figure out exactly how it happened other tahn the fact I wouldn't let of the skinny pedal and when the tires finally got tracation I slid over in a hole which put me in a crazy off camber situation which in turn resulted in the flopping of my Runner on it's side. Slickrock is completely insane and I give props to all that have attempted or done it. Me or my Runner will not be ready for that for quite some time. I got just a few pics that I will post up tomorrow (mostly posers) LOL. All in all I had a great time and so did the other guys in my group and I will look forward to the next trip to the mighty Tellico! Thanks to everyone and it was nice meeting you all. I also hope Greg gets better, I had no idea that even happened to him.

P.S. Doc is a freakin madman that is not one bit affraid of the skinny pedal! I am sure he will have something to add and if not I will fill you all in later. Thanks guys!

Last edited by hlpressley; 08-20-2006 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:24 PM
Contributing Member

A few of the poser pics I took. I am still waiting on my buddy to eamil me the few action shots he got!

Old 08-20-2006, 07:56 PM
Contributing Member

Well after a loooooong weekend and a super long last day I think I'm the first one home. We were the last ones out of there around 5:30 - 6:00. It took alot of time, organization, and team work to extract 2 broken rigs out of the trails, and get them ready to go home.

I didn't get to do Slickrock, I have all the faith that I would have made the main face, but I didn't want to obligate anyone to turn back and pull me if I encountered trouble, so I made the smart choice and turned around w/ Ryker and Greg. I'll buy a winch sooner rather than later and head back there to claim my prize.

I'm sure the crazy little stories will trickle their way onto the board, but I'll fill everyone in on the events that unfolded after most left. Greg and I managed to limp Rykers rig out of #4 and get him stagged to come tow it back later. Mike and Ryker took his Tundra to tow Rob's rig out fromt eh creek crossing on 5. We got it back to camp and decided it was too much of a mess to even try fixing it(broken axel(tripod stuck in axel housing), wheel bearings fell out, and gas tank skid wrapped around the drive shaft(lots of noise and viloetn shaking), lastly a possible trashed spindle/knuckle assembly. I was going to tow his rig home on a U-Haul trailer back to Chapel Hill, and have it fixed at the dealership. NOTHING is open in Murphy on a Sunday, so the trailer was a no go, and we finally opted to leave his 4Runner at the cabins, and have AAA come and take it to a dealership in TN to be fixed and picked up later. During this whole time it rained and just made things twice as much fun. We all got loaded up and went our seperate ways home. The others should be getting home soon.

I don't have a single picture, I was too busy leading both day, up until Slickrock while I played caboose as we fenageled Rykers rig back down the mountain. Everyone else has plenty of shots to make up for it.

I'll quote Ryker, "The mountain won, THIS TIME", and we'll officially set the name for our return trip "The Whipper Snapper's Revenge Run".
Old 08-20-2006, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

I don't know how I did it but I missed addressing some things in my previous looooooong a$$ posting. Just needed to get it out.

Doc, YOUR THE MAN. I'm super glad you were able to bring Jesse, he's a great guy and I think we'll get things turned around and make your proud, you already should be from what I saw this weekend.
P.S. Thanks for showing me how to properly shotgun a beer, even after it explodes in your face.

Jack, I for one will NEVER roll my eyes when you want to come along, I'll be pumping my fist at the thought of it. It was a blast to have you along, right there with a helping hand, and words of encouragement when there was room for no more. Hope you had a great time, that's what it's all about.

I think this trip was a bonding experiance for everyone who was "lucky" enough to be along for the ride. I couldn't have asked for a better group of guys to spend my time with and go through such a taxing trial of our rigs and ouselves. Now like Doc would say, lets have a cold one.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I got home around 8:00. It was a LOOOONG weekend. Fun, but long. Lori and I tried to count my stings and think its around 12 or so. My right leg got most of them. My right leg is still sore and my foot is hurting but other than that Im alive and well. Ill fill in the rest of the story tomorrow. Im going to bed.

Last edited by yotaman; 08-20-2006 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Stump1883
I think this trip was a bonding experiance for everyone who was "lucky" enough to be along for the ride. I couldn't have asked for a better group of guys to spend my time with and go through such a taxing trial of our rigs and ouselves. Now like Doc would say, lets have a cold one.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:53 PM
Contributing Member

Greg, tell Lori I'm sorry, I didn't get her message till we were half way home. My battery stayed dead until it got a boost from the truck in Asheville when my dad finally let me have the car charger.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:47 PM
Contributing Member

Looks like you guys had a good time, I ended up working most of the day friday, and then went to Cookeville for the evening.

I swear I'll go next time....
Old 08-21-2006, 12:18 AM
Contributing Member

Just got home, beat down dead tired, got stuck in traffic behind an accident on I-26, flipped vehicle = 2 hours of sitting there...

Here's a few teaser pics for now...

And the video of the last pic is even better...
Old 08-21-2006, 12:31 AM
Contributing Member

I forgot to add that I had a great time as well & everyone was great company. It really was a team effort to get through some of the luck that "Murphy's Law" handed us this weekend.

I enjoyed seeing the folks I new & met some great new fellow YT'ers. More later, I gotta crash.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:08 AM
Contributing Member

As of last night, AAA still had no clue whether my 4Runner had even been picked up or not....still don't know where it is exactly as when I asked if it had been picked up, i got the reply "I assume it has" ....i'm just hoping it makes it to knoxville
Old 08-21-2006, 04:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1985 4Runner
and this is from SE4RJ3 in May...

it sure doesn't look like it's THAT much harder now than it was in May - but I know pics can be deceiving...
Old 08-21-2006, 05:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bamachem
and this is from SE4RJ3 in May...

it sure doesn't look like it's THAT much harder now than it was in May - but I know pics can be deceiving...
that buggy pulling Rob had to winch up it so yeah it was pretty damn hard.

2 other buggies made it.. the other three winched up.

Quick Reply: Whipper Snapper Summer Meltdown 4Runner Jam