Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings
View Poll Results: Possible Dates for Whipper Snapper Meltdown?
August 18, 19, 20th
52.94%
August 21,22 & 23rd
0%
I don't care, just get me there, I need a rock fix
47.06%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Whipper Snapper Summer Meltdown 4Runner Jam

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 01:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I think anyone with a set of sliders for insurance will be fine. Being locked just helps you get into more trouble. We can get you though most anything you have the guts to try though, most of us have been on the trials there a good bit and are cnfident with the area, so you'll be in good hands.

Greg I figured you were busy and I knew it needed to get moving in order to have a chance so I jsut took point on it, and Brian I've always had alot of respect for what you go through to make these things happen, now it's just a bit of karma coming back reminding me.

I'll give Tellico cabins a call and see what we can arage, there should be plenty of parking at the large on down nearest to Trail 1, I'll get some prices and then we can divide it upa nd hopefully everyone comes through, but I understand summer is a last minute deal for almost everyone.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For anyone wanting to try any trails other than 4,5,6, and 8 a rear locker and winch are mandatory-not optional anymore-last time we had a broken axle and a broken ring gear in a front diff from winching people up Slickrock, so from now on to try that you must have a winch.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Contributing Member

Count me in for Slickrock if i ever return this POS Milemarker (broke during 1st use) and get a Warn M8000
Old 07-13-2006, 07:05 AM
Contributing Member

I would like to join in with you guys also but I would just be able to run the easy stuff with my rig. I do have sliders and 285's but that is about it as far as offroad mods right now. I have never been to Tellico but would love to go and meet some of you guys if you don't mind a newbie. I will be watching this thread.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by hlpressley
I would like to join in with you guys also but I would just be able to run the easy stuff with my rig. I do have sliders and 285's but that is about it as far as offroad mods right now. I have never been to Tellico but would love to go and meet some of you guys if you don't mind a newbie. I will be watching this thread.
It'd be great to have you there.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:31 AM

For all of the people with semi stock vehicles that are worried, there is plenty of butt puckering fun to be had! I ran 4, 5, 6, and 8 in a 97 Limited with 2" of lift and 285's. Open on both ends and no sliders (running boards removed). I walked away with ZERO body damage and a nice dent in my gas tank skid. This includes night runs up and down 5 with no spotters in the dark. And a good tme navigating through the River on Trail 1 where everyone camps since somebody decided to move a huge boulder into the middle of the trail, I am sure Scott remembers that one.

That being said, having some sliders and a decent t-case skid plate would have made the trip much more enjoyable and less nerve racking.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by yotaman
It'd be great to have you there.

Cool! Thanks man. I may have some other guys that would also come along one has a nice DC Taco and the other has a well it's J--p ( if that is OK). We usually have a good time. What are the plans for the cabins? I would much rather have a cabin with a shower than camping in August.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hlpressley
Cool! Thanks man. I may have some other guys that would also come along one has a nice DC Taco and the other has a well it's J--p ( if that is OK). We usually have a good time. What are the plans for the cabins? I would much rather have a cabin with a shower than camping in August.
Crawfords Camp has a great set-up with an awesome bath house, it's jsut at least 30mins from the trails, the cabins cut that in half, that is the big draw for me, and A/C isn't gonna hurt either. I'll be calling Tellico Cabins tomorrow to get some prices. Then I'll need a rough head count on who's coming.

You'll be more than fine with your truck the way it is, I would say sliders are almsot a must now. Justin sice you were last there it has gotten alot worse, 5 is a total mess with lost of rutted out rock climbs, Fains Ford is alot steeper and more a all around mess, and the ledges on 8 are about 3-4" tall. But new people are more than welcome and we'll make sure everyone has a good time w/ little to no damage.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:32 PM

I like the cabin rentals so I can tow with the Chevy truck instead of the Dodge motorhome. There is one cabin right next to the dirt road that I went inside of on the last trip and it sleeps like 10 or more people.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:12 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Look on the Tellico Cabins web site for rates per cabin and the amount of people it'll sleep. Great cabin we stayed in.

Old 07-13-2006, 07:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Look on the Tellico Cabins web site for rates per cabin and the amount of people it'll sleep. Great cabin we stayed in.

Thanks Wabbit, I got what I was looking for from the web site.

This is the Place

This is the cabin that a bunch of the guys and I stayed at last winter when we were there. It sleeps 10 people and I'm sure we can make a few more fit if need be. It'll be around $300 for the weekened but is very resonable if we get all 10 people in there, about the same as staying at Crawfords w/ ALOT less driving to the trails each day. There is a good size parking area right outside the cabin, it usually fills up w/ others tow rigs, but if we pack it each night no one will bother us. I'm planning on towing my rig there this year, and it sounds like a few other are as well, so the extra parking will be much needed. So lets try and get at least 10 ppl. on this ASAP.

I'll start the list, add yourself so we can get an idea:

1. Stump1883- Scott
Old 07-13-2006, 07:34 PM
Contributing Member

1. Stump1883- Scott
2. Nc994run - Rob and maybe a guest or 2
Old 07-13-2006, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member

According to the site we need to have $$$ in 30 days before rental date...so everyone better figure out if they're goin pretty soon
Old 07-13-2006, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member

Stump1883- Scott
NC994RUN - Rob
hlpressley - Harold
guest 1- Matt
guest 2- Derrick ( if you guys don't mind a few guest)
guest 3- Donnie ( riding with me )

Last edited by hlpressley; 07-14-2006 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:43 PM
Contributing Member

I spoke with Helen at Tellico Cabins tonight and she said that the only cabin that wasn't available was the largest one. She seemed like a really nice lady and it seemed as though thier cabin's are very nice and CLEAN! I was thinking of reserving the ATV Den or The Lock Em Inn for me and the guys coming up with me. I think their may be 4 or 5 of us total in 3 trucks. I will wait until I hear about what the rest of the group is doing before I reserve anything. It seems like they have more than enough available for all of us. Maybe we can get a group rate or something! I love this place.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Stump1883
Thanks Wabbit, I got what I was looking for from the web site.

This is the Place

This is the cabin that a bunch of the guys and I stayed at last winter when we were there. It sleeps 10 people and I'm sure we can make a few more fit if need be. It'll be around $300 for the weekened but is very resonable if we get all 10 people in there, about the same as staying at Crawfords w/ ALOT less driving to the trails each day. There is a good size parking area right outside the cabin, it usually fills up w/ others tow rigs, but if we pack it each night no one will bother us. I'm planning on towing my rig there this year, and it sounds like a few other are as well, so the extra parking will be much needed. So lets try and get at least 10 ppl. on this ASAP.

I'll start the list, add yourself so we can get an idea:

1. Stump1883- Scott

I think this is the one that is gone.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:20 PM
Contributing Member

We can do primitive camping around there somewhere...right? I'm proabably gonna go but I'm not sure about a cabin.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:29 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah that is the largest cabin, the one that I wanted, and yes their cabins are extreamly clean and really nice to come home to after a long day or night on the trail. We might just have to do two cabins. Keep the list coming guys, if this is gonna work out we gotta know ASAP.

Yes there are a couple palces you can primitive camp, at least a few places that I've seen, right next to the river crossing on Trail 5, the only downfall might be traffic late at night when guys making night runs would eb going out or coming back.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:57 AM
Contributing Member

Looks like the bunk cabins at crawfords may be a cheaper and more realistic option link
Old 07-14-2006, 06:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by nc994run
Looks like the bunk cabins at crawfords may be a cheaper and more realistic option link

I called about those too but nobody has returned my call. Those things are a little small but I am game if everyone else is.

Quick Reply: Whipper Snapper Summer Meltdown 4Runner Jam