Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings
View Poll Results: Possible Dates for Whipper Snapper Meltdown?
August 18, 19, 20th
52.94%
August 21,22 & 23rd
0%
I don't care, just get me there, I need a rock fix
47.06%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Whipper Snapper Summer Meltdown 4Runner Jam

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 02:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If this holds true we should have a good weekend of wheeling on pretty DRY ground. Please no more mud!

http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...=www.yahoo.com
Old 08-14-2006, 03:30 PM
Banned

they didnt realize that our rear end didnt need couplers.. I should have brought my manual because it showed the stock side gears. not a good daily driver gear setup but however i cant wait to test it off road.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:16 PM

gtrobb is OUT...he said he can't make it. I'm still comin' I'm waiting to find out if my G/F is going to be able to make it or not
Old 08-14-2006, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

I should roll in about 2:00 - 3:00 I'll be packing a tent and a air mattress just in case. My son may come with me (21 years old ) - maybe you guys
can help me convince him to get his head on right.

Jesse is 21 in 10 days - no job, no car, no drivers license - lot's of dumb crap has cost him dearly.

I am Doc - the old man of the group at 48. If Jesse comes with me -
we will camp at crawfords.

Red 85 4 runner with a white top.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

It looks like I'll have the room Doc, you and Jessie should just stay with us. NO need to be so far from the fam.

I'm with you Harold, i certainly hope it stays dry, it looks like it should turn out to be a beautiful weekend, and well worth the price to stay in a cabin, WOOT for A/C.

Thanks everyone for giving me an idea about when to expect everyone. It looks like Rob and I will be heading out aroung 10 or so, as soon as he can get here to G-boro we'll be on our way out, putting us in Tellico around 2-3. Greg PM me your cell number and I'll let you know Friday my more accurate arrival time. If anyone is looking to hook up with me in Ashville, we can prolly make that happen.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:40 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks Scott - If there is room we would be grateful and I'll pay accordingly.

Jesse needs some Dad time and around guys like you all, he may learn something. I've loved and taught him all his life and he's chose to ignore me. Now he is coming around - finally !

No Leon - he will miss this trip - I ain't even gonna tell him.

I'll be driving this :

Old 08-14-2006, 04:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I tried PMing you Scott but your box is full.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, I'm pretty good to go. Here's what I had to fix:

I had this mechanic change all my plugs because I was busy with other things basically. He did & changed the way the wires were loomed & routed in the process. It was rubbing on the header... So a week later it burned through.

Anyway, I fixed it right & have some spares now.

I will start tightening bolts & topping off fluids tomorrow. I can't wait to wheel with everybody!
Old 08-14-2006, 04:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks like I'll more than likely be driving the 4Runner. I'm having issues with the 92, mostly the dang Dana 44 and the 3 link suspension under it. One of my buddy's said I should just tare it out and put a real axle under it. I'm really starting to consider it. He has everything sitting in his garage to build a mini axle right. He was like ˟˟˟˟˟ will do it tomorrow. I laughed, but hey maybe.

Anyone need a Dana 44 and 3 link suspension?
Old 08-14-2006, 04:55 PM
Contributing Member

Doc- Jesse will come around hopefully. I was the same way with my Dad until I went in the Marines at 21. Can't wait to see the 4Runner.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by yotaman
Looks like I'll more than likely be driving the 4Runner. I'm having issues with the 92, mostly the dang Dana 44 and the 3 link suspension under it. One of my buddy's said I should just tare it out and put a real axle under it. I'm really starting to consider it. He has everything sitting in his garage to build a mini axle right. He was like ˟˟˟˟˟ will do it tomorrow. I laughed, but hey maybe.Anyone need a Dana 44 and 3 link suspension?
Hey bud I fixed my PM box, it's cleaned out a bit. I'll take the D44 and 3 link, you wanna help me fit it under the 3rd gen, lol. Good luck witht the swap, either rig you bring you'll be better off than most, lucky bastard.

Today I found out my Friday class was canceled, the first week of class, I can see me and this professor are gonna get along great. I can't wait to get out and wheel, Harold and I were cheated out by the weather, and given just a tease on Saturday, it's time to GET IT ON!!!!
Old 08-14-2006, 05:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Doc279
Thanks Scott - If there is room we would be grateful and I'll pay accordingly.

Jesse needs some Dad time and around guys like you all, he may learn something. I've loved and taught him all his life and he's chose to ignore me. Now he is coming around - finally !

No Leon - he will miss this trip - I ain't even gonna tell him.

I'll be driving this :

im his age.. i have a good job at circuitcity. in college and bought my 4runner myself.. i have a lot to learn but I think I can relate to him somewhat. Ill be 21 in 3 months. I never did want to work but a job like I have has changed my mind and keeps my mind off certain things my mind doesnt need to be on. keeps me busy otherwise im wasting my time on useless ####
Old 08-14-2006, 05:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 1985 4Runner
Doc- Jesse will come around hopefully. I was the same way with my Dad until I went in the Marines at 21. Can't wait to see the 4Runner.
Thanks Ryker ! It sure it frustrating to be a parent !
I could bail him out AGAIN - but he never seems to learn from it.

I've been suggesting the military for a few years now. I think the disipline
and dedication to a purpose would do him wonders. Of course he is scared of being deployed and who wouldn't be.

The 85 is my baby and will grow as it needs to, it is the perfect platform to take to the next level. It will be my trail only rig in the next few years.
I have plans !!!! I Had to find a suitible candidate first, these things are getting hard to find in decent shape.

Pack those extra birfields - hopefully you won't have to show me how to change one. I don't have any extra's YET. I won't do anything crazy - this will be the maiden voyage. I will learn what I need to do next though !
Old 08-14-2006, 05:31 PM
Contributing Member

No sweat Doc, I got 3 extra birfs and inners plus lots of stuff left over from the knuckle rebuild kits & spare stock steering arms. I'll probably break something new this time! I have the FSM saved on my laptop hard drive just in case.
I was so green when Jeremy, Wabbit & Will basically changed my birf & inner seal for me last time!

We'll talk more at the event & a good time will be had by all.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Blake,

I lived in Anderson, SC when I was you age. Some of my friends worked at the mill and I moved over and worked at Port Man Shoals Marina. I've been doing boat work for 30 years. I was in Anderson and Piedmont just last week.

I am a Marine Surveyor and travel all over the south east for a company
out of Chicago called Davis and CO. I spent the whole last week of July in New Orleans - damn it's hot down there ! I shed tears in New Orleans - no pictures can do that justice - piles of debris everywhere.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:51 PM
Contributing Member

When you start wheeling - you just naturally have to learn to fix your own stuff. Learning is a good thing though !

I know a LOT about my 2nd generation ( 2 motors, rebuilt transmission, locker in and locker out, welded my own sliders on, fixed several broken CV joints ) - I'm just getting started with the 85.

I've already rebuilt the Warn winch, wired in a 2nd battery with an isolator
dedicated to the winch, mounted my Hi-Lift jack. Sliders are next but won't happen before Friday. I have brand new 30 X 9.50 X 15 Bridgestone Duellers on steelies and they will have to do for this trip. My mounted 33's will not clear the front brake calipers - they are on 2nd generation wheels
and I don't trust spacers.

I'm just up for a ride in the woods !
Old 08-14-2006, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

No worries, I'm VERY comfortable with 1st gens. I tore down alot in my old 85 before I handed it off to Wabbit, between Ryker and I feel free to break and learn, although I'm not encouraging it, lol.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:17 PM
Banned

awesome Doc. Ive been thinking about buying an older boat to live on later.. but I heard sitting that sucker at portman is really expensive and right now I have enough bills to pay. That will be down the road when I get my job in the graphic design field.

yeah i plan on destroying something.. and yeah i bet money on half way im not coming with sliders on.. reason being I want to bolt them on because If i dont bolt on.. most likey its going to be hell to get them off if welded.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:33 PM

I destroyed so many birfs...I'm thinking of going pro on changing them in record time.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by hlpressley
Hey Scott it was nice meeting you today and I enjoyed the wheeling eventhough it was more like mud slinging. Just remember "Hummers Suck" or atleast that is what that "fellar" said!

dude i had to throw this out there for the people that know the joke.

Quick Reply: Whipper Snapper Summer Meltdown 4Runner Jam