Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Saturdays Greenwater page is up

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2002, 02:49 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Saturdays Greenwater page is up

Whewwwwwww! A few hours later, and I'm done.
I wasn't going to do it today, but I don't like leaving things undone for too long

Here is the page from todays Greenwater trip we went on early this morning.
Old 08-03-2002, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice pics. Corey.i noticed that in one of the pictures you have the passanger front tire on a rock, be carefull that kind of behavior can be addictive!
Old 08-03-2002, 03:25 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

He he he...Thanks Leonel. I thought it would show off the awesome flex

Man, first time in this rig before I had a wheel off the ground in the back.
Going down that hill the rig is rocking back and forth almost got me seasick.

Jim looked at it and sure enough it was off the ground making me rock.
We may have gotten up that hill I bet if we lowered our tires way down.
That dirt is real soft there, so we sunk in pretty good.

On our January run to that same hill, quite a few made it up it. I think being covered in snow back then was better as you don't sink down as much.

Seeing that guy's white '85 today both gave Jim and I ideas to pick up an older Toy some day.
He got that truck for $1500. Not to bad for a factory solid axle rig.

This was more of a scenic run today to get pics of the mountain, so we wern't to concered with airing down today to do any trails.
Corey
Old 08-03-2002, 11:14 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Corey looks like you had fun today, speaking of fun have you seen Joeys post yet? we had some fun today too!

Great pics of the mountain - I think i'm gonna put one of those as my desktop wallpaper as its sooo nice!

Cheers

Luke
Old 08-04-2002, 04:03 AM
Contributing Member

Cool pics Corey. Wish we had somewhere to roam around over here like that and still be home by mid-day. :alien:
Old 08-04-2002, 09:11 AM

Hey Corey ,
Good pics. How did you wire the lights up top? I want to put some on my rack too but I don't want to drill any holes.
Old 08-04-2002, 09:33 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks Luke, yes I saw the post. You guy's got some nice pics too I see.
Looks like you guy's had a blast.
Did you guy's have two way commications at all?
As in those family service radios or CB?
I think Joey had mentioned he wanted a CB, but the channels in the UK are different that over here?
If so, those family radios might be the ticket then for staying in touch.

Jalaber, I feel blessed living so close to the mountains here.
It's only a 30 to 40 minute drive from here almost in a straight line, and I'm there.
I could never cover that area in a lifetime either. As we were cruisin' around yesterday, we took a few spur trails and explored them.
There are a ton of them up there that will go several miles, then dead end.
This trail here was one such example. I had never been on it before but wanted to explore it.
I think it went about 1/4 mile or so, then dead ended. The trail was pretty cool as it had some steep spots in sections of it.
Gotta keep up the window too on stuff like this unless you want to get whacked by branches coming in at you.
Good thing for deep wax on the rig as you can hear the branches dragging across the paint
One could get lost up there easily for sure.

Pave, I too don't exactly like the idea of drilling holes into my roof, so I opted out on that.
I'd have to take some more pics as I have lost my old ones, but doing the wires was very easy.

I ran them off the top of the rack in that black plastic loom stuff as seen here.
Where it wraps around the Yakima hinge thing for the bars, just the wires without a loom goes into the doors rubber seal and it completely hidden.

It goes down to about dash level, then the wires enter between the hood and the fender.
I was told when I had done it this way the wires might be in danger of getting pinched and shorting out.
Not so, as there is plenty of room there for the wires.
They then enter the engine bay and go right to the relay on the firewall that Hella supplies.

I can try and get some pics of this later today or this week.
It's real easy to do. Even if a wire did short, it can't do it until you flip the lamp switch as the wires have no juice going to them.
If they short, it blows the fuse.
But I'm not worried at all about that ever happening.
I inspected the wires a month ago when I was rerouting a bunch of other wires under the hood, and the casing on the wires did not show any signs of ever being pinched.
Corey
Old 08-04-2002, 11:14 PM
Contributing Member

Corey them are some AWESOME pics you are making me homesick as H#ll!!!! I am planning a trip home in October hopefully for about a month or so. Sure is some nice country up that way! I am keeping my fingers crossed for an assignment to Spokane!
Old 08-05-2002, 07:31 AM
Banned

That '85

I can't tell for sure but the white truck looks like an '87 or '88 that has been SASed to me. The grille is without a doubt from an '87 or '88. compare it to mine. Aside from the mirrors, the word TOYOTA on the grille, front axle, missing tow hook and paint, the trucks look the same. The fact that the tow hook is missing makes me think that someone has been under there thrashing and cutting for an axle swap. We even have similar front bumper dammage. I have replaced the marker lights (beside the headlights) 4 times, 2 on each side. I'd love some more info on this truck. Get that guy on YOTATECH!!

Corey and Jim could possibily benefit from front swaybar disconnects and lower tire pressure. It breaks my heart to see you guys struggling to make that hill. Without rear lockers momentum is your friend on hills like that. The worst thing that will happen when trying it faster is use of the front bumpstops, and maybe some spilled coffee. For Corey, rear swaybar disconnects may be in order also. You do get more suspension travel with the swaybars disconnected.
Old 08-05-2002, 08:19 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Hi Matt, that guy swore his truck was an '85. It's a non SR5 model, and non EFI.
He paid $1500 for it without the canopy.

He might be reading the forum by now as I gave him a business card I made up a few months back with the address to the forum on it.

On the backside of that hill where I got stuck, then made it, this is Daryl from Jan.
http://www.pnw4runners.net/runs/11902/22.mpg
Now this one here of Daryl is the front hill again Jim & I could not make it up. A running start, and he's up.
http://www.pnw4runners.net/runs/11902/24.mpg
The only reason I got stuck on the backside was I made the sharp turn and went for it. It's best to back up first, then take a run at it.

I agree on that front hill though. If we had taken a fast run at it, I'm sure we could have made it up it.

A few more from January on the same hill.
Billy on the backside. Not enough speed.
http://www.pnw4runners.net/runs/11902/27.mpg
Same hill, but he took a run at it.
http://www.pnw4runners.net/runs/11902/28.mpg

Now here is Todd on the same front side of the hill in April. He flies up it with ease taking a running start.
http://www.pnw4runners.net/runs/4602/1.mpg

Here is Matt trying it, and you can see the slippage from a slow run.
http://www.pnw4runners.net/runs/4602/2.mpg

This time he makes it, again the speed is what counts for us non locked Toy's.
http://www.pnw4runners.net/runs/4602/4.mpg

Yes, Jim & I did not air down that day as we were mainly driving on that scenic 72 road.
I bet if we had aired down for this little place we played at, we would have made it. Or by taking a fast charge at the hill.

I'm still undecided if I'm going to lock this beast or not.
For the amount of money to regear both diffs and do the E locker, I could buy an '85 like that guy has.
If that is indeed the year.
Corey
Old 08-05-2002, 02:48 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Corey
Hi Matt, that guy swore his truck was an '85.

I'm still undecided if I'm going to lock this beast or not.
For the amount of money to regear both diffs and do the E locker, I could buy an '85 like that guy has.
If that is indeed the year.
Corey
Its probably an '85 but it has an 87 grille for some reason. You can get these for $1500 but not with lift, gears, tires, bumpers, sliders, winch, locker, CB, stereo, lights or anything else you would want for a tough offroader.

Have you considered a 2nd transfer case? Or just changing the gears in your current transfer. Swapping 4.0 or 4.7 gears for your stockers is just like adding a 2nd stock transfer case. You can keep the axle ratio you have and get an e-locker in the same ratio, then add a crawler box. With used parts, $1000 would include install labor for dual cases and e-locker. I do want to go to 33" or 35" tires someday. Before that happens I'll be runnering dual T-cases or 4.7 transfer gears though. Or maybe both like Greg Luer.

If I had dual cases on July 27th I would have tried this line that this '85 made. That is Gerg Luer runnering front and rear ARBs, and 2 transfers with 2.28 (stock) and 4.7 (Marlin) reduction ratios.

Corey, I vote that you get a used e-locker and 4.7 transfer gears rather than geting a whole new truck and starting from scratch. You will be able to do WAY more than a stock straight axle rig, and you can still use all the stuff you have already.
Old 08-05-2002, 03:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cant swap gears in a chain driven t-case (R150) :mad:

And that rig doesnt look like it has been swapped. I dont see any front spring hanger that has been welded on, do you? Also looks like he still has stock steering (no hysteer)

Last edited by Adam F; 08-05-2002 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-05-2002, 03:53 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

That's a good call Matt, as I do have quite the wad of rolls tied up into my rig

Yeah, bummer on the T case.
Yoda on the forum here can easily help me with an E locker 3rd, and to save $$$, I can go with the stock gearing so as to not touch the front diff.
I'd imagine we'd have to get new bearing & Yukon gears from Randy's Ring & Pinion to do that.

I have been pondering that, and also the Downey cable actuator for the E locker.
Been reading up a bit on that in the 4Wheeling section on ODW.
That might be easier to hookup than the 'lectric way.

But then if I have to cut a hole in the console for the handle, I'd vote to go all out 'lectric.

I'm going to conquer that hill next time I'm up there
Probably with a good run at it like Todd did in April.
Coming down that hill was fun, as I was rocking back & forth with the right rear wheel all the way off the ground.
Corey
Old 08-05-2002, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member

Good Times

That's what I like...getting outside. Doesn't matter to me that my truck couldn't make it up the sand hill. What mattered is my truck got me there and back again, like it always does.
I really enjoyed having a good CB radio in my truck. It made the trip much more enjoyable to be able to yak with Corey as we 'wheeled' all over the place. If you have a CB in your rig already, you know what I'm talking about. If ya don't...get one!
Thumbs up!
I would very much like to make an early morning run back to that spot on SR 72 Greenwater, for photo purposes. Would probably need to be 'on scene' by around 5:00 AM, in order to catch the most dramatic lighting. Yeah, I know that's early. But what a great way to watch the sun come up! Thermas of good coffee, a lawn chair...and an absolutely stunning view of Mt. Rainier. Is anyone interested?
Jim
Old 08-05-2002, 04:32 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Jim, I pick up my youngest tomorrow after I get the oil changed.
Been debating to wash the rig or not this week.
I did wash the engine today so it would be easier for them tomorrow.
It was pretty bad.

They can do a quick wash on it after the oil change, and that would suffice me until next week.

If we go up there this coming Saturday for an early run, I'll hold off on doing a full out wash job myself this week.

That would be cool to go up early with some lawn chairs and park in this spot and watch.
Might even see some deer that early.

I'm game...
Todd, gonna join us? Time you brought the Mrs. along for a ride.
Corey
PS, here is some info for our area on the sunrise.
Length of Day 14:49
Sunrise 5:51 AM PDT
Sunset 8:40 PM PDT
Moon Rise (8/5) 2:09 AM PDT
Moon Set (8/5) 6:46 PM PDT

Give or take a minute as this info is for today, and not this coming Saturday.
Old 08-05-2002, 05:03 PM
Contributing Member

No can do this weekend. We are heading down to St. Helens this weekend and next weekend to do a little exploring.

That does sound like a great idea Jim to watch the sun come up.

I do need to get up and test out my new suspention
Old 08-06-2002, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: That '85

Originally posted by jx94148

For Corey, rear swaybar disconnects may be in order also. You do get more suspension travel with the swaybars disconnected.
On the 2nd gens I don't believe the rear sway bar does much for travel unless the shocks are longer than stock.

It certainly doesn't do anything for articulation and probably little for its actual job of anti swaying. The diameter of that thing is tiny.

So that's on my to do list, longer shocks.

Steve
Old 08-12-2002, 07:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Greenwater

Corey, those pics are beautiful! The picture of your 4Runner and Jim's truck in front of Mt. Rainier is my new background for Win-doze.

I would love to come up there sometime and check out the scenery. If you ever feel like organizing a 4 or 5 day country-side tour/camping trip let me know. I am quite sure that a couple of us from Cali would love to drive up and join you.
Old 08-12-2002, 08:46 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Hi Ken, thanks. That pic is also my background
I hope to get up there soon early in the morning at sunrise in the same spot to get some nice "glowing" pics of the sun creeping up on the mountain.

I'd like to have a nice camping trip next year. I got sick at the one last year, and did not get one going this year.
Kind of hard for me to make plans being off work.
You'd think I'd have more time to do camping for long periods, but I don't this summer.

All this running around, filling out paper work, and doing stuff to get in school is a nightmare.

That would be neat to plan one for next summer up this way, as there is a lot to explore up there.
I'm sure you'd like the Naches trail.
I can't seem to find Eric Johnson's trail report trip on my PC right now.
I know it's in my 2 gazillion bookmarks somewhere though
Corey
PS, found it
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/trips/naches.html
Old 08-13-2002, 05:18 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

A few more pics

Just got these pics from Jim's wife Trudie.
They wre taken on a compact 35mm.
http://www.pnw4runners.net/runs/8302/trudie/

There's a nice wide picture in there too.

Corey