Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

North Georgia Ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
North Georgia Ride

Lets say I was going to get a ride together to go to Cartersville, Ga. Cartersville is about 45 minutes north of I-285 on I-75, or about an hour south of the Tennesee line. How many people would be willing to show up. The trails we would be riding are some 500kv(500,000 volt) powerlines coming from the Southern Company Nuclear Powerplant in Cartersville. The ride would be beginner to medium experience. There are trails out there for everyone. I am not yet sure of the dates for the ride. I need to do some work to my trucks before we go but y'all talk to me and we will get something together. It think it will be a learning expierience, too. I'm a lineman and I will have another lineman with me that should be able to answer any questions anybody has about the powerlines themselves. The other lineman will be in a Heep, I mean Jeep, so that should add to the fun.
I will give directions to the meeting point when I figure out exactly how many rides are coming. y'all post some dates that would be good for you and I will pick a date that works for eveyone. Maybe one day of the Labor day weekend.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:22 PM
Contributing Member

i am up for something man!!. just shoot me an email here . there are a couple other ga guys on here that might be up for the ride. let me know! i need to get my rig dirty..its been a while
Old 07-01-2003, 09:27 PM

me too

this is sweet. just let me know when. i live about 2 mins. from doink and we also got another friend in a yellow jeep who would probably wanna come too. Just let us all know when and where to show up at.
Old 07-02-2003, 05:09 AM

I live in Canton let us know

Peace Ron
Old 07-02-2003, 11:19 AM

sounds like fun. i'm in acworth...not too far from there.

i've only got a 2wd though....maybe i'll sit on the side and watch
Old 07-02-2003, 04:01 PM

How about Saturday, July 19? If that is good with everyone I will post a time and directions when I find a good meeting place. I will do that maybe tomarrow. If you have a digital camera please bring it. I don't have one and it would be cool to get the pics up on the site. thanks.
i've only got a 2wd though....maybe i'll sit on the side and watch
How about you get in with someone and enjoy the ride? I will have an open seat. My wife will be in her own Yota.
Old 07-02-2003, 05:17 PM

I'm about 2.5 hours away in Maryville, TN and would be game if I could get away from work. My better days to do something would be on a Sunday. I work every Saturday, unfortunately.

Chris
Old 07-02-2003, 07:48 PM
Contributing Member

count me in!! wahooo!!..oh, ill have an open seat as well for anyone that wants to tag along..as long as they dont mind an 18 yr old.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:28 PM

I'm hoping we can do it on a Sunday, because Saturday's I can't get off. I can't wait to try out my new '97 4Runner with the rear diff lock. I've never had a locker equipped vehicle and can't wait. I'm picking it up on the 13th, going to IPT to get my Valve Body recalibrated, then possibly stopping off to pick up a secret off-roading weapon I have my eyes on, and then driving home all the way from Amesbury, MA. I can't wait to try it out off-road, although it will be completely stock for this trip if I can even go.

Chris
Old 07-03-2003, 06:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm possibly in.

tystoy-- I've heard that these types of service roads are not necessarily legal trails-- but since you work as a lineman can you confirm that or not? There has been a lot of bad news coming down from the Forest Service and environmental groups in Georgia lately, and I don't want to give the trail closing whackos any more ammunition in their fight to shut down everything that has to do with off road vehicle use. Case in point-- Rich Mountain road is being considered for a little "reworking" because of erosion problems and irresponsible usage. Part of the suggested "reworking" involves closing the best part of the trail. Part of Anderson Creek trail has already been bulldozed and graveled, and another part of it has been closed because of a private property owner in the area. Just something to keep in mind before we go. I know that service roads like this won't be "closed", but people trespassing could surely be fined if Southern Company decided they didn't want people riding on their service roads.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:04 PM

First of all:
I am aware that Southern Company has made some of there roads off limits for off road vehicle use. For that reason I drove to Lucas Road today to find a meeting place and make sure that the road is still open to the public. It is. some of the roads that lead to the actual service road are gated but the main road that leads out there is still open. And all the service roads are still open. If something changes between now and the date of our trip I have another place that would be fun. If we do have to go to the second place it will be about an hour drive to it. I know this place a little better but it is not as exteme. WE WILL HAVE A RIDE THAT WEEKEND.
Second of all:
If you have read the entire post we have someone that would like to go but is not able to go that saturday. Does anybody have any objections to makeing the ride on Sunday, July 20 rather than Saturday, July 19. If you do please let me know and we will talk to Brown and try to work something else out.
Third of all:
We will be meeting at the BP station at I-75 and Hwy 113. For those of us in GA you will need to go north on I-75. I am not sure if the exit number but the hwy is well marked on I-75. When you exit I-75 you can only go west on 113. The BP station will be on your left. We will be meeting at 10:30 am. I will be there at 10:00. I will be in a silver toyota pickup with black wheels. I will have a black 87 4runner with me. You won't miss us.
Finally:
LETS GO WHEELIN'
Old 07-03-2003, 08:17 PM

So if I'm coming through Chattanooga, what am I looking for to exit at off I-75? Is it state road 113?

Chris
Old 07-03-2003, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

im in if its LEGAL.

if you want a lot more guys to show up, post here and TTORA GA.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:06 PM
Contributing Member

Questions:

1) what kind of trails/obstacles are there?
2) have you ever been on them before?
3) can you give directions to the trailhead for reference?

I'd rather wheel on sunday.

Old 07-03-2003, 10:51 PM

yo if i can get my bfg tko's on by then u can count me in. it will give me a chance to smack chris (he knows why)
Old 07-04-2003, 03:51 AM

Yeah, maybe I shouldn't show up!!

Chris
Old 07-04-2003, 03:53 AM

Tystoy,

When you say the other place is an hour away, is it to the north or south? If it's to the north, that would be great for me since I'll be driving from north of Chattanooga, the Knoxville area.

Chris
Old 07-04-2003, 07:07 AM

So if I'm coming through Chattanooga, what am I looking for to exit at off I-75? Is it state road 113?
Yes it is State road 113. It is also cartersville main street exit.

I have only been to this place one other time. It is service roads mostly. You should be able to imagine what kind of obsticles you are gonna see. As far as directions to the trail head, take hwy 113 to Lucas Rd. Then stay staight on the gravel Rd. its really easy to find. Thousands of people go there every year.

The other place I was talking about is an hour east. It is between jasper and canton. The name of the town is Tate. That place will just be mud. no other obsticals really.

Hey allothernamestakenso,
You are more than welcome to post the ride on that web site. I don't want to spend that much time getting people together. I have enough questions to answer on this page.
Old 07-04-2003, 08:41 AM

Anyone else going to be driving from the Knoxville area or in between here and there? I'll probably go camping that Saturday if it's that sort of place. Is it? Also, is anyone welcome, including other makes of vehicles?

Chris
Old 07-04-2003, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

ill wait til the plans are set in stone.

Quick Reply: North Georgia Ride