Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Mud Story

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Mud Story

Well, this is a mud story. I'm 16 now, but when I got my driver's license, my dad decided to get me a used white 2001 4Runner SR5 4WD. It was fun to drive around on the road, but I wanted to see it go off road. There was a mud hole nearby, so I figured I'd see how it would do. I ran through the hole probably 30 or so times, so the mud was caked on and the windshield was covered... along with everything else. After a while, the same hole go a bit boring, so I decided I'd head out. Well... on the way out, there was another little spot so I ran through it, and got stuck... I tried everything-- low 4WD, high 4WD, pushing, getting a board under the wheels... nothing worked. Dad's really gonna be pissed, I thought. Well, I ended up having to walk home (not fun). When I got home, my Mom wouldn't let me inside... I was muddy too. Then my dad saw me and new exactly what happened. "You got stuck in the mud, didn't you?" Yepp... We loaded up the big land cruiser and took a trip to Ace to grab a chain. Then we went to the spot. The chain didn't work. Dad's cursing his head off and my brother is mad because he got his shoes dirty (awww... poor thing). So, we go back home and get shovels. After an hour of digging, we decided we'd try the chain again. That time it worked. I ended up being bottomed out and 2 of the wheels were not on the ground. So I washed off the windshield and drove home. The whoe thing took probably 4 hours. I'm off the hook, I figured. Nope. I had to wash the land cruiser until it was sparkling clean, and then wax it. My car wasn't so easy. I washed it by hand 3 times, and then took it to the car wash twice, and it still wasn't clean. I even had the engine steam cleaned, but it was still dirty as well. I ended up paying about $75 to get all the washing done. Oh yeah, here's the kicker-- the day I got stuck in the mud was also my dad's birthday. Well, that's the first, last, and only time I went mudding.
:pat:

Zach
Old 02-09-2003, 11:36 AM

Nice story. 2 reasons why I don't like wheeling in mud:

1. I don't like trying to wash it all off. It gets in places you never knew were there heh, and I'm too lazy to find them all and clean them.

2. You just never know...can't go alone unless you have a rig like Gibby. Looks easy/medium, but low and behold, traction has disappeared and they just sit slowly and spin, gripping absolutely zero.

Glad it all worked out though. They say mud wheeling builds character.

Thx for sharing your story man.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:18 PM
Contributing Member

lol, nice story, ive been mudding a couple of times and havent had any bad experiences, but after reading ur story it makes me realize if i were to get stuck id be screwed, so i think ill lay off the mudding for awhile, unless i go with someone that can help me get out of the mud

thanx for the post and keep them coming
Old 02-09-2003, 04:26 PM

I went mudding in the San Gabriel mountains OHV area in Socal a coupe of years ago. It is actually located in a lake bed. There were a lot of rigs out there that day, and well I didn't have any recovery equipment. I was keeping to the "shallower" mud, and drove off a little drop off, and into this little mud pit. It wasn't very deep, but my tires were just slipping and spinning in place. I figured that I could just drive back up in reverse, and my class 3 hitch dug deeply into the mud bank. I was stuck, and had no tow strap or winch... and no one else did either! So all the rigs that offered to pull me out just drove off. I ended up having to slog through the mud and pick up a few large pieces pf driftwood, and after jamming them under the tires was able to free myself. There were a bunch of way modded Toyotas out there that day playing in the deep mud with super swampers, with no problems. It was funny to see a bone stock full size blazer stuck to the axles in that "primordial ooze" mud. I learned a lot that day, and despite all the mess, had a lot of fun.