Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Anza Borrego Desert - So Cal - Mar 8 or 9

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anza Borrego Desert - So Cal - Mar 8 or 9

Hello,

I am planning on making a trip to Anza Borrego on either sat mar 8th or sun mar 9th, and wanted to see if any of the other yota owners on this board would like to make this a group event. i was planning on either:

canyon sin nombre-->arroyo seco del diablo-->fish creek,
-or-
truck haven-->arroyo salado-->fish creek
-or-
any other suggestions

i'm pretty new to that area so if anyone else would have a preference to where to go, that would be fine with me. as my vehicle is stock, i was hoping to keep this from getting too hairy, so all are welcome.

i saw the pics from the last 4runner trip planned out that way, hope that you all could make it

here is the link to a couple of weeks back when i went to canyon sin nombre, arroyo seco del diablo, and fish creek:
http://community.webshots.com/user/monkey_nuts
Old 02-28-2003, 10:33 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Monkeynuts:

I'm gonna be in carlsbad that weekend, maybe we can set something up!

I don't mind doing it again as the last run was pretty exciting for me!!! hehe

don't worry, i'm stock too! (doh!)

Lance
Old 02-28-2003, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

I would like to go, but I am kinda bored with the Fish Creek area. too much washboard. What do you think about going to the Lake Morena area?? I hear there are some fun trails there.

Just a thought.
Old 02-28-2003, 09:03 PM
Contributing Member

This is where I want to go next:

http://members.cox.net/rough-riders/trails/morena.html

I think after the rains it will be very green. And now that I have a locker I will be more comfortable
Old 02-28-2003, 09:34 PM
Contributing Member

here is another link for the area
http://www.sdorc.org/ohvareas/c_canyon/c_canyon.html

We will have a blast. Lets plan on another Sunday. The 9th or 16th??

Lance, Rob, Q, lets go!!
Old 02-28-2003, 10:21 PM

i went there the first time i had ever been off road in my truck a couple of months ago. i took the los pinos trail that goes around the mountain, took about 4-5 hours. lots of fun. i'll try to post some pics of it tomorrow. some of it may be a little too technical for stock vehicles though. i don;'t know first hand, there were only a few places that really took some skill the way i went, but there are tons of trails through there.

i pretty impartial to where we go, just as long as long as my stock truck can do it without getting too crazy. i like anza borrego a lot, but i hatred the washboard in fish creek. so wether everyone wants to go to the desert, or lake morena, it all works for me.
Old 02-28-2003, 11:37 PM
Contributing Member

Let's all try to setup a date so we can get a headcount to see who's interested in going...

The more we can get, the better this trip will be Hopefully this time, we'll get more than 4 4runners!

I'm down for whenever, except for mar 15-16... sorry

I read that Q on the 4x4wire said that he can't do it for mar 22 as he'll be doing the 4R Jambo thing (Arizona), so we know alot of the members here and on other yota boards will be out of town due to this....

How does the end of the month sound? Like 29/30ish? This way we have enough time to prep on a final location and see how many members we can gather !?

Just a thought...

Lance
Old 03-01-2003, 08:20 AM

i was hoping to go out next weekend sometime, the 8th or 9th. if that is too soon to plan a trip, i can always still go next week with a couple of my buddies and do the trip we're trying to plan here also, so so problems with me.

has anyone here ever been to In-Ko-Pah. it's along the 8 freeway in the mountains right abve the desert floor. some people from my work have gone there and said it is a lot of fun, a lot of big, flat rock, and no brush to scrape anyone. i've never been, just wondering if anyone else has.

once again, i vote for sat 8th or sun 9th, but i can do pretty much to anything next month.

here is a link to a few pics when i went to lake morena...
http://community.webshots.com/user/monkey_nuts
Old 03-01-2003, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

Next weekend works for me, as long as the weather holds up. Later in the month is not as good.

Lance, Q, Rob, will this coming weekend work for you guys??

I have never heard of the other place you are talling about, but like you I am open to anything--just limit the washboard!!
Old 03-01-2003, 12:27 PM

the reason that i was hoping to make this a trip for next week was because i might be shipped off to a law enforcement academy very soon.

i hated the washboard at fish creek last time i was out there, the was just thinking that all the rain might wash more sand trough there and cover up the washboard, but like i said before, i'm up for anything.

my only concern is that we make it a trip that stock vehicles should be able to tackle.

couldn't find much info on in-ko-pah, but did find this.
http://www.bisgaardathome.com/photos...opah_index.htm
Old 03-01-2003, 01:36 PM
Contributing Member

in-ko-pah sounds interesting. I found these pics of the area--

http://community11.webshots.com/album/49622119OyicIo

Lets go
Old 03-02-2003, 10:34 AM

those pics look like fun. i'd willing to give in-ko-pah a shot. i can find out more info tomorrow about it from people at work. they have been to that same place, they showed me pics of that same stripped tacoma in the mine.

what does everyone else think?
Old 03-02-2003, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member

It doesnt matter to me which one we do, they both look fun. This Sunday is great for me--lets go!!
Old 03-03-2003, 07:02 AM

sunday works for me, too. how bout we try and get a head count here for sunday, march 9th. both in-ko-pah and lake morena are along the I8 freeway, so the big thing is that this date will work for everyone.

i'm in for the 9th.

also, i vote for in-ko-pah (i still have scars from brush on my hood and fender that i can't buff out from lake morena)
Old 03-03-2003, 10:21 AM
Contributing Member

I am still trying to figure out exactly where this In-ko-pah place is. It seems to be quite a bit futher out on the 8 than Lake Morena.
Did your co-workers tell you what kind of terrain to expect? I will look at my San Diego backcountry map to see what I can find out.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:57 AM

in ko pah is a bit further out along the 8 freeway, a little past jacumba. it is at the top of the mountains before you start dropping down to the desert floor.

i am waiting for our service manager to get back so i can ask him more, but when he was talking about it before, he described it as lots of rock. the pics he had looked like fun. i should have anothe post on here with more details sometime around 12:30.

Here's a map from my gps software that will show the apx. location of lake morena and in-ko-pah. in ko pah is only about 20-30 min past lake morena.
Attached Thumbnails Anza Borrego Desert - So Cal - Mar 8 or 9-map.jpg  
Old 03-03-2003, 02:19 PM

ok, this is what i found out about in ko pah...

to the south of I8 are those pics that were posted with the taco in the mine. supposed to be a lot of fun and a lot of rock (supposedly fine for stock vehicles).

to the north of I8, there is another trail that goes up the mountain. very tight hairpin turns a guy i work with didn't attempt in his suburban, but he says that one is a lot of fun too.

so who's in?
Old 03-03-2003, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

Sounds good to me, are you going to lead us? We just need a time and a place to meet on Sunday (Alpine or Pine Valley?)

Just let me know and I wll be there.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Contributing Member

Hey guys!

I'm down for sunday!!! Looks like I'll be in Carlsbad for the weekend so, driving to meet up with you will definitely be easier!! hehe

I'll confirm w/ my friend to make sure I can stay until sunday!..

But count me in for now I'll bring the last anzo pix with me as I don't think I"ll have time to scan them yet...

As always, still stock! (please be nice ! hehe)

Lance
Old 03-03-2003, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

Sounds like this will be another fun trip. Glad to see you are coming Lance. I think my buddy Steve will come to entertain us on the rocks.

Quick Reply: Anza Borrego Desert - So Cal - Mar 8 or 9