General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years

Questions about "BIG 3" upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about "BIG 3" upgrade

According to the information I've found, the "Big 3" consists of the following:

1) Battery negative to chassis
2) Alternator to battery positive
3) Chassis to engine

Now, since I have a ground from my battery negative to the passenger fender, I'm assuming that by "chassis", it means the body? And what about ground to the frame?

Also, I've seen some guys posting that they just ran a 2nd cable from the alternator to battery positive. Now, wouldn't this bypass the fusible link that's included in the original wiring, thereby defeating it's purpose?

Thanks guys
Old 01-09-2006, 09:17 AM

You are correct, that would bypass any fusable link located in the fuse box. You can run a second, larger ground (that I've seen done), but having done this mod it is difficult for me to understand why you would run a second cable from the Alt to the Batt and I'm not even sure there's enough thread on the Screw which fastens the cable to the alternator to allow for a second connection.

Here's what I posted in another "Big Three" thread a couple weeks ago:
Alt - Fuse Box
Fuse Box - Battery
Battery - engine ground
Battery - chassis ground

You might also want to buy some bigger split loom than what is provided by the factory as it gets a big rough stuffing some of that stuff back in. You'll want wire and some new lugs. I went with solder lugs but crimp lugs would work just fine (it was all NASA would allow in the Apollo program) for your wire connections.

If you truck is similar to the Taco, which I believe the 3rd gen is, you're looking at the following post sizes:
Alternator - 1/4"
Fuse Box, Alternator side - 1/4"
Fuse Box, Battery side - 1/4"
Chassis Ground - 1/4"
Engine mounted ground - 3/8"
Solenoid posts - 5/16"
Military battery terminal connections - 3/8"

One other item some people miss is waterproofing. Pick up some appropriately sized, mosture resistant (usually has an adhesive inside) heat-shrink tubing and run enough to cover from 1/4" on the insulation to 1/4" on the lug so there is no exposed wire. Helps keep things in working order.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:03 AM
Contributing Member

Yes, I did happen to use that nifty search feature so conveniently placed at the top of the page. I actually use the search quite often. If I didn't, my post count would prolly be over 1000

This wasn't answered in any searched threads.
Originally Posted by Jovis
I'm assuming that by "chassis", it means the body?
This wasn't answered in any searched threads, and still hasn't been answered.
And what about ground to the frame?
This also wasn't answered in any searched threads.
Now, wouldn't this bypass the fusible link that's included in the original wiring, thereby defeating it's purpose?
MeinPappa, thanks for the reply, and the info! I don't see a ground to the frame. Where would be a good spot to put one?

EDIT: MeinPappa's quoted post above was one of the ones that came up in my search, but still didn't address my questions.

Last edited by Joyota; 01-10-2006 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Added more
Old 01-10-2006, 08:13 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes, I did happen to use that nifty search feature so conveniently placed at the top of the page. I actually use the search quite often. If I didn't, my post count would prolly be over 1000

This wasn't answered in any searched threads.

This wasn't answered in any searched threads, and still hasn't been answered.

This also wasn't answered in any searched threads.

MeinPappa, thanks for the reply, and the info! I don't see a ground to the frame. Where would be a good spot to put one?

EDIT: MeinPappa's quoted post above was one of the ones that came up in my search, but still didn't address my questions.
So why start a new thread when one on the exact same topic when "Big 3" was started so recently? Your question would have been better served as a tangent to the thread below...not a new thread...probably the reason you haven't gotten a whole lot of replies cause folks are going "Geesh, that question came up like 2 weeks ago?"

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f96/anyone-do-big-3-upgrade-74811/

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 01-10-2006 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
So why start a new thread when one on the exact same topic when "Big 3" was started so recently? Your question would have been better served as a tangent to the thread below...not a new thread...probably the reason you haven't gotten a whole lot of replies cause folks are going "Geesh, that question came up like 2 weeks ago?"

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74811
That one I'll definitely give you. You're right, I should have added my question to that thread, eliminating clutter on the forums. Sometimes the hands go faster than the brain.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:40 AM

A ground to the frame specificly isn't necessary but could be added to virtually anywhere.

Chassis usually refers to the frame and suspension components (sometimes together with the power train) but for the purposes of your wiring the chassis and body can be considered one and the same. I may be full of crap here but I believe the bolts that run through your frame into the body, holding the body to the frame, provide the primary grounding path for your frame back to the battery via the body.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Battery ground cable came off

Speaking of batteries, my ground cable has been fraying and this morning I noticed that it was completely off. It used to be attached to the negative post and leads to the chassis.
I am nervous about unscrewing wires to posts on the battery and reattaching this cable so any advice is very appreciated.
Does this attach directly to the post again? Can this ground cable touch the other cable on thenegative post?
What are the dangers associated with working on a battery/
I know that I must unattach the negative side first but the ground cable is new to me. thanks
Old 03-26-2006, 10:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MeinPappa
A ground to the frame specificly isn't necessary but could be added to virtually anywhere.

Chassis usually refers to the frame and suspension components (sometimes together with the power train) but for the purposes of your wiring the chassis and body can be considered one and the same. I may be full of crap here but I believe the bolts that run through your frame into the body, holding the body to the frame, provide the primary grounding path for your frame back to the battery via the body.
well if youre gonna mess with those bolts, you might as well throw a body lift in while youre at it.