General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years

Low beams not working - '96 Tacoma

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low beams not working - '96 Tacoma

Heres the situation on my 1996 Tacoma:

1. The low beams do not work. When I turn them on the high beam indicator turns on.
2. When I turn on the high beams, only the drivers side works fine and lights up, the passenger side has a dim glow to them.
3. All the fuses are intact, headlights are connected properly, both headlights bulbs work (sealed glass beams).
4. The parking lights, turn signals, hazards, rear lights, brake lights all work.

Any clue whats going on?
Old 12-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Have the headlights ever worked? If so what has happened from when they worked until now? When you say the bulbs work, how have you tested that? Does "flash" mode work? (flash = pull back and hold the dimmer switch, both high and low beams should be lit). Sounds like it could either be bad headlight bulbs (blow low beam filaments - not uncommon, low beams are used the most and are often the first one to fail), or an internal bulb short or open circuit where your dim light is due to both the high and low beam filaments lighting up, but since connected in series, each only sees 6 volts so glows very dim.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Have the headlights ever worked? If so what has happened from when they worked until now? When you say the bulbs work, how have you tested that? Does "flash" mode work? (flash = pull back and hold the dimmer switch, both high and low beams should be lit). Sounds like it could either be bad headlight bulbs (blow low beam filaments - not uncommon, low beams are used the most and are often the first one to fail), or an internal bulb short or open circuit where your dim light is due to both the high and low beam filaments lighting up, but since connected in series, each only sees 6 volts so glows very dim.
1. Have the headlights ever worked? If so what has happened from when they worked until now?

The headlights did work about a month ago. Then the passenger side low beams stop working and emitted a dim glow when on. The high beams continued to work fine and those eventually stop working too. So now when I turn in the high beams (both constant and in flash mode) it emits a dim glow.

2. When you say the bulbs work, how have you tested that?
I connected the headlights directly to the battery. I tested both the high and low beams and they worked fine. I also switched the headlights to the other sides and they same problems happens on the same side (low beams not working, high beam dim on passenger, high beams works on drivers side).
I also bought brand new bulbs (sealed glass beams), and the exact same problem happens.

3. Does "flash" mode work?
When I do the flash mode, the problem still happens exactly like when high is constantly on.