General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years

LED "Rocklights" installed - Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 05:27 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Very nice as usual Rob.

Total cost?

Old 02-03-2006, 06:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Very nice as usual Rob.

Total cost?

Thanks!

Retail, he has them on sale right now for $29.95 each. So, to duplicate what I am putting under there,

8 x $29.95 for the whites $239.60
6 x $29.95 for the reds going under tomorrow $179.70

Subtotal $419.30

Plus shipping/tax/wire/switches, whatever is applicable.

I know it sounds like a lot, but I am waaaaaaayyy overkilling this. Six whites would do the average person just fine. Actually, I just ordered 3 more whites. Two are going in the back to augment the backup lights and the third is going on a retractable cord and will be mounted to a magnet under the hood for a work light
Old 02-03-2006, 07:43 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by WATRD
Thanks!

Retail, he has them on sale right now for $29.95 each. So, to duplicate what I am putting under there,

8 x $29.95 for the whites $239.60
6 x $29.95 for the reds going under tomorrow $179.70

Subtotal $419.30

Plus shipping/tax/wire/switches, whatever is applicable.

I know it sounds like a lot, but I am waaaaaaayyy overkilling this. Six whites would do the average person just fine. Actually, I just ordered 3 more whites. Two are going in the back to augment the backup lights and the third is going on a retractable cord and will be mounted to a magnet under the hood for a work light
HOLY COW! I did the ruff math...but wasn't expecting that! That is 500 Wendy's spicy chicken nuggets.

It still looks good. I'm going to add some small "bling" LEDs on the interior of the 85 and 87 so I can see at night...just too dark in there, even w/ the dome/door lights for my liking.

Old 02-03-2006, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
HOLY COW! I did the ruff math...but wasn't expecting that! That is 500 Wendy's spicy chicken nuggets.

It still looks good. I'm going to add some small "bling" LEDs on the interior of the 85 and 87 so I can see at night...just too dark in there, even w/ the dome/door lights for my liking.

It seems like a lot of money, but when I started out, it was just the six rocklights being replaced and having a permanent solution to that problem was worth the extra cash for me. The rest are gravy.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:25 AM
Contributing Member

like Blizzard said i might think about getting some of these and wiring them up so when i open my door they come on to illuminate the ground where i am stepping...

you know you could have saved yourself a lot of trouble and went to autozone and gotten a neon underbody kit...
Old 02-04-2006, 06:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by brandontrek
you know you could have saved yourself a lot of trouble and went to autozone and gotten a neon underbody kit...
Too fragile to really beat on... I DID play with some color changing LED tubes, but wasn't happy with the brightness or the coverage.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...05/Tinkam7.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...05/Tinkam8.jpg
Old 02-04-2006, 06:50 AM
Contributing Member

i was just joking about the neon body lights...i never saw the purpose for having a glow from under your car...thos lights on your truck look awsome...i was looking for these lights on ebay...but found nothing
Old 02-04-2006, 12:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by brandontrek
and what happens when the neon tube gets cracked??? you're screwed. I'd be happier with the small LED's
Old 02-04-2006, 02:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jsnby
and what happens when the neon tube gets cracked??? you're screwed. I'd be happier with the small LED's
Yeah.. I have the undercarriage LED tubes as well. (he won't admit it, but I think Rob snagged the idea when he saw mine. though other folks here have them too)

Anyway... I bounced off of a tree stump at some point last year and cracked a 4' tube. That exposed the LED panel, and things went downhill from there. Right now, none of the panels work, but the controller is okay. I figure replacing the cracked tube will fix things up.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

read post #27....
Old 02-04-2006, 02:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can make them for like $6 with regular high intensity white leds from an online supplier, but, as you stated, am still trying to figure out how to package the darn things. I think the packaging might be what blows up the final cost of my project.
Are you just using a resister or some other kind of regulated circuit?
Old 02-04-2006, 08:53 PM
Contributing Member

ok so im trying to understand the differences/figure out the best for me:

the LED lights are small, very bright, a little expensive, and arent really "cased" in much but some hard plastic and are petty much impossible to break unless something like, shooting a little bb at it?

the neon tubes that sell at autozone/ebay as "underglow kits" are fairly bright, but easily crackable IF theyre landed on...theyre cheap/cheaper than leds...

how do installs/wiring compare?

right now ive got some tractor lamps, and im not pleased w/ the brightness and the fact that you can see them, easily; i think it looks fairly tacky.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:39 PM
Contributing Member

Okay, so we got the six reds in. A nice red glow all around the rig. I didn't have time tonight to get realy pictures like the ones in my first post, but hopefully I will later in the week.

For right now, all I have to offer is a poor quality capture from the webcam in the shop with the reds and whites on.

Old 02-19-2006, 08:59 PM

I don't know why, but I thought of the new batmobile when I saw those pics. Looks good, I think I'll rig something up under my running boards and tie them into my red door lights so I can have my feet bathed in light as I step out on the the ground. Maybe I should spend my time figuring out what that awful rubbing noise is before I go playing with lights...
Old 02-22-2006, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by WATRD
Okay, so we got the six reds in. A nice red glow all around the rig. I didn't have time tonight to get realy pictures like the ones in my first post, but hopefully I will later in the week.

For right now, all I have to offer is a poor quality capture from the webcam in the shop with the reds and whites on.

Hi WATRD,
Thanks a ton for helping Roundeys LED's get known. I'm glad our product is working out for you. If you need anything at all like a free T-shirt with your next purchase, just give us a jingle.
Thanks again.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:05 AM

looks good, but not worth $500 to me.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4Roundeyes
Hi WATRD,
Thanks a ton for helping Roundeys LED's get known. I'm glad our product is working out for you. If you need anything at all like a free T-shirt with your next purchase, just give us a jingle.
Thanks again.
No problem. You guys were great to work with and I am nothing but happy with the LED's and for that matter, the mini-fog lights.

I will take you up on the shirt the next time I order though
Old 03-01-2006, 08:27 AM

Happy March 1st!
Shirts here waiting to be shipped. 8)
Old 03-03-2006, 01:06 PM

I cannot believe how much light those things throw off, you could almost make foglights out of those. The LED plug and plays I use basically have the same brightness as a match.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Robinhood150
Are you just using a resister or some other kind of regulated circuit?
That's what I'd like to know too.

Quick Reply: LED "Rocklights" installed - Pics!