General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years

LED "Rocklights" installed - Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 08:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED "Rocklights" installed - Pics!

I finally got tired of my six 55 watt rocklights getting broken by rocks and cold water, so I decided to swap them out for something more indestructable (hopefully) and with much less power draw.

I installed eight of the "Ultimate" LEDs from Roundeyes. One in front of each front tire, one in back of each front tire, one in front of each rear tire, as well as one over each differential.

Old 01-24-2006, 08:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good Rob, I've been looking at the 4" round LED's. How big are the lights you installed?
Old 01-24-2006, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

wow those look pretty bright! nice find... i'm still debating on what to do w/ rock lights... these look like a pretty good alternative

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2006, 08:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Yoda
Looks good Rob, I've been looking at the 4" round LED's. How big are the lights you installed?
4" round LED's? Really? Got a picture?

These look like this;

More photos and details are available on the page I linked to in my first post.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:06 PM
Contributing Member

Kick ass look man.
I love rock light pics where everything else is black.
I'm checking out the site.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:22 PM
Contributing Member

This is a pic from Grote.com web site. The fire trucks use these under the steps so they don't step off the truck into a hole or onto debris. There are also hi intensity ones used for backup lights.
I also thought about red so to prevent night blind (will match my calipers too, as you may remember)
There are mounting brackets and rubber grommets to hold them.

I don't know what the cost of these are (I'll call and check). Stuff for work I just order.
Attached Thumbnails LED "Rocklights" installed - Pics!-leddome.jpg  

Last edited by Yoda; 01-24-2006 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:30 PM
Contributing Member

Ah... they are multiple LED assemblies. Harder to mount, but likely a lot of light.

I have six more of those "Ultimate" LED's, only in red, ready to go under my rig. The six reds will be one a separate switch for camp lighting and additional lighting rock lighting when needed.

Last edited by WATRD; 01-25-2006 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:20 AM

Those look sweet.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:42 AM

Wow! I like it. Im gonna have to look into those. The pics are great.
Looks like the Truck of the Baskervilles.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:59 PM
Contributing Member

Update: When I got to work this morning, I shut the truck off and turned the eight LED rocklights on, just to see what happened to my battery. If worse came to worst, I figured I have the dual battery sytem to get me moving again. The six tractor lights pulled about 27 amps combined and would make quick work of the battery when the truck was off. The LED's draw about 2.5 amps for the eight of them.

After 4.5 hours of the truck sitting and all eight LED's lit, the truck started right up like it was nothing. That would have never happened with the tractor lights. The next test will be an overnight one.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:29 PM

Those look great Rob. How did you route/tuck up the wiring for those? Is it just wire tied to misc existing components?
Old 01-25-2006, 02:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cebby
Those look great Rob. How did you route/tuck up the wiring for those? Is it just wire tied to misc existing components?
The feeder wires follow along the top of the frame on both sides and the lights are tied into them. Then each of the lights is grounded via a self tapping screw, somewhere close to it.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

Here's an interesting comparison a guy did between a couple of different types of LED's, including the ones I am using.

http://www.c4x4.com/Tech/LEDrocklights/rocklights.html
Old 02-02-2006, 07:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rob, are there any resistors or other circuitry you can see? The LED itself is going to look like one of these: http://www.quickar.com/lux.php?session=PmwdOS25 like the star or the star/c, but other than that, any other circuitry?
Old 02-02-2006, 07:33 AM
Contributing Member

There is a small circuit pack in the cord, about 10" from the light assembly itself. It is sealed in silicon and covered with black heat-shrink, so there's no telling what's in there.

It also looks like there might be something behind the LED itself, but I can't say for certain.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:16 AM

Wow!!! Those LED's are cool!

I'm imagining more utilities... A pair of hood lights, one below the doors so you can see the ground when stepping out...

Your truck seems an UFO with that lighting! Hehehe

David
Old 02-02-2006, 08:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Blizzard
Wow!!! Those LED's are cool!

I'm imagining more utilities... A pair of hood lights, one below the doors so you can see the ground when stepping out...

Your truck seems an UFO with that lighting! Hehehe

David
I will soon have a few more on the way. Two are going in the back to add to the backup lights and one is going to be glued to a heavy magnet and mounted to the underside of the hood so I can move it around when I need light.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Alright, thanks Rob. I'm working on building some LED lights using the same luxeon LEDs roundeyes uses. My proof of concept works but I was wondering how they're doing the circuitry. So far I can make these things for 1/3 the price, but I'm still trying to figure out packaging.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

I looked at the site... and my are they expensive! SHEESH!! Cool though. But you could probably rig something up like that yourself.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Robinhood150
Alright, thanks Rob. I'm working on building some LED lights using the same luxeon LEDs roundeyes uses. My proof of concept works but I was wondering how they're doing the circuitry. So far I can make these things for 1/3 the price, but I'm still trying to figure out packaging.
I can make them for like $6 with regular high intensity white leds from an online supplier, but, as you stated, am still trying to figure out how to package the darn things. I think the packaging might be what blows up the final cost of my project.

I chose regular led's to limit the current draw. i think that i read a spec that said the luxeon ones use like 350ma of current each. 350ma * 8 is still more than i want to burn. with my led setup, i'm burning 25ma *8 =200mA....and i think that mine are bright enough. compared to the luxeons though, i doubt mine have as wide a viewing angle.

Last edited by jsnby; 02-03-2006 at 04:57 PM.

Quick Reply: LED "Rocklights" installed - Pics!