General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years

help trouble shoot no injector ground pulse?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help trouble shoot no injector ground pulse?

hello all I'm sorry to be "that guy" I've been all over this forum as a guest for quite some time. but this is my first post. and i finally had a question i couldn't find an answer to already on here! there's a wealth of info here. so thank you for having me. anyway on to to question....

k have an 1985 4runner 22re and ive been trying to get it up to its former glory its been siting almost 12 years, and the past couple months ive put ridiculous amounts of time into it and now I'm conpletely stumped. i have been gryimg to get it to fire up (new fuel pump,lines, filter, new gas... and a bunch more)but im still not getting it to fire.... o have gas up to the injectors, amd good pressure all the way but still no vroom vroom

i beleive i have no ground pulse

i have tried a new efi main relay

i have added a ground strap fpr good measure

all fuses are good

i do not know where to go or what to check. and im getting a bit discouragedd.

please help..

i
Old 05-21-2014, 10:54 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

So you changed the whole fuel system and did nothing to the injectors after sitting for 12 years . Perhaps you just failed to mention this.

If you have checked all the harness for rodent damage all the connections for being corroded .

Has the resistor opened

You have checked for a pulse at the injectors while cranking??

About the only thing left is the ECU .

Nice to have the FSM for your vehicle
Old 05-22-2014, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Are you not getting fire to the plugs or to the injectors? The way you have your problem stated isnt clear to me.

I am going to go with no pulse to the injectors. I get an LED from Radio Shack https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...t-22re-270857/ and that tells me if the computer is sending the signal. If it is sending the signal, then I suspect the crimps in the harness or bad injectors. Recently I had all 4 injectors that were not working as they were gummed up from sitting so long. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post52187637 and I was able to get them working with carb cleaner.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:47 PM

no pulse to injectors. i have spark. no pulse with a noid light.
i put new o rings grommets and isolators on injectors. injectors ohm'ed fine and fuel was drained out of lines. so no gunk in them.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
How is our solenoid resistor. It should measure 2-3 ohms I think. If you have a Haynes manual, I have some test that you can run to test other components marked on https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51897320

If you have a damgaed harness or the computer is not sending the pulse is what I would suspect.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:11 PM

Anyone ever find out the fix for this issue? Seems this is very very common and replacing a bunch of parts is the last thing I want to do. I am Getting fuel, spark, but no pulse at the injectors. I Can use starter fuel at the intake and she fires up and runs till I stop spraying. The real issue with my 93 4x4 22RE Manual is that it just quit one day and left me stranded. Not typical Toyota fashion . Please help with Project -Y, I really don't want to send her to the yard or the parts people...
Did pull code 13, but cannot believe the ECM is bad ?
I checked the fuses and all good, but do not have a book on checking relay circuits. I have a multimeter but am not the best operator yet. sprayed around the motor when I had a previous rough idle and could not find any vac leaks, could the battery terminals touching the hood cause a failure like this? Please help
Old 12-10-2014, 05:02 PM

The ECU is the ground circuit, There should be power to the injectors when the key is in run position, Earlier models have a resister inline and has been known to burn out.
The distributor is what sets the signal pulse to the ECU for when it should fire the injectors.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:46 PM

Just a couple more questions.

So I have the standard 4 plug wires, the coil wire and 2 small wires coming out of the side of the dizzy. White and black. Then they connect to the plug mounted on the valve cover which have red and white. The wire from there also has a shielded wire which looks like a ground. (Almost like coax cable) the plug and wires were exposed and this was found after the truck died. I spliced the white to white and red to black. I put a quick volt tester on the wires and was getting very very low voltage. Is this the signal you spoke of? I did assume the dizzy was good as I did not ever see one just stop working?? I did trace the black red wires back to the ignighter and then to the wire harness heading to the ECU. Does anyone know where the resistor is located? Maybe someone put the wrong dizzy on this truck just to get it running? I got it cheap and am not looking to break my wallet as its a Project and a winter snow truck. I work long hours and any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:04 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Well your code 13 is telling you distributor, distributor circuit and ecu

Things break I have had both these things quit.

Poor connection at your splice?? Other wiring harness damage

Well it looks like you have your work cut out for you projects can turn out to be money pit garage queens

Buy or get a copy of the complete factory service Manual and go from there.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:59 AM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
YEs, like Wyoming says ^^ The splice/crimp in harness under the manifold that goes to the injector is notorious for going bad. This connects negative side of injector to appropriate pins on ECU. These pins provide ground to the injectors. Trace, inspect and test this wire run.

As long as Ignition is on, there would be +12 to ALL injectors; from battery, through fuse(s) switch and resistor.
On the first-gen 22RE, resistor is the one with heatsink "fins" inside right fender...Name:  Starter_Relay-1.jpg
Views: 1870
Size:  132.0 KB

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 12-11-2014 at 04:01 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:15 PM

Wow, thanks for the pic. Unfortunately I cannot find that resistor or even those type of connectors near my relay / fuse box. Guess I will invest in a manual for this truck. I pulled back the loom that is visible without removing anything and it was nasty. I am almost positive this is the culprit. This looks like a fun afternoon/evening of tear down just to get to the wires. Will update later as I get results. "May the force be with you"